PDA

View Full Version : Heirloom tomato seeds?

Carrots
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Has anyone had success with seed saving and germinating seeds from fresh heirloom tomatoes?

alien_host
09-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Yes! Many years ago, my mom was in Napa Valley and had an heirloom tomato salad, she saved the seeds. We are still growing the tomatoes (we save new seeds each year).

I take the seeds from the tomato and put them on waxed or parchment paper and let them dry for several days, then I save them in an envelope.

In fact, my green zebra tomato won first prize at a local fair! This isn't the best picture as the lighting was terrible there but it was fun to win a blue ribbon :)

Smillow
09-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes! Many years ago, my mom was in Napa Valley and had an heirloom tomato salad, she saved the seeds. We are still growing the tomatoes (we save new seeds each year).

I take the seeds from the tomato and put them on waxed or parchment paper and let them dry for several days, then I save them in an envelope.

In fact, my green zebra tomato won first prize at a local fair! This isn't the best picture as the lighting was terrible there but it was fun to win a blue ribbon :)

I :heartbeat: green zebras! I got the seeds by mistake (they were labeled cherokee purple!) but I loved the taste & the size & the productivity. Although I was quite surprised at the color of my "Cherokee Purples":ROTFLMAO:

Yours look great - congrats on the blue ribbon!

To OP, I have never saved seeds. I'm just not that organized - I have always used Tomato Growers Supply for seeds (except Japanese Black Trifle (Johnny's)

alien_host
09-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I :heartbeat: green zebras! I got the seeds by mistake (they were labeled cherokee purple!) but I loved the taste & the size & the productivity. Although I was quite surprised at the color of my "Cherokee Purples":ROTFLMAO:

Yours look great - congrats on the blue ribbon!

To OP, I have never saved seeds. I'm just not that organized - I have always used Tomato Growers Supply for seeds (except Japanese Black Trifle (Johnny's)

Hey thanks, it was my first time entering, I thought it would be fun and good for DD (she also entered a few categories with stuff she helped grow). Anyway, what other heirloom tomatoes do you grow?

This year I got a black cherry and a tiger-like tomato plant at the farmer's market. The black cherry are very good. Tiger-like is mild and pretty.

zoestargrove
09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I tried black cherries and striped romans. Had a bit of trouble with the striped romans getting blossom rot on half of them, but the others looked BEAUTIFUL!

I will try green zebras next year. Congratulations on the blue ribbon! That's terrific.

rkold
09-10-2010, 09:15 PM
I've not successfully saved tomato seeds yet, but my SiL is amazing at it. She gave me some that she had saved which I've used.

I've mostly been saving really easy seeds like beans, arugula, and cilantro.

ThreeofUs
09-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes. My tomatoes fall to the ground and I just leave them there. I get great tomato plants from them.

Carrots
09-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks everone!
I bought some green zebras today along with 2 pink and 2 orange (can't remember the names) to make a caprese salad with. I am going to save as many seends as I can from each.

I am actually not a tomato eater, but so many people love them that I would be willing to grow them to give to friends. :)

Alienhost, congrats on the award! Those green zebras look beautiful!