PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have their daughters in GEMS?

bubbaray
09-10-2010, 10:19 PM
http://www.gemsgc.org/

Our church is starting a group. I'm curious, but know nothing about it.

FWIW, we decided to skip Sparks (pretty much the same as Daisies in the US) b/c the crafts didn't seem particularly inspiring and the camping stuff is less than what we already do as a family.

maestramommy
09-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Wow, that sounds pretty cool! More interesting than GS actually:loveeyes:

AngelaS
09-10-2010, 11:04 PM
We do Sparks, because it's part of the AWANA program which is memorizing lots of Bible verses. My girls LOVE it. :)

GEMS is for public school kids which means my home learned kids can't participate. :P

WatchingThemGrow
09-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Sounds great!! Hope she loves it!

DebbieJ
09-10-2010, 11:43 PM
We do Sparks, because it's part of the AWANA program which is memorizing lots of Bible verses. My girls LOVE it. :)

GEMS is for public school kids which means my home learned kids can't participate. :P

GEMS is for everyone! We have GEMS at our church. I was a GEM when I was a girl (although it was called something different then). It's a great program.

bubbaray
09-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Sorry, Sparks here is like the Girl Scout Daisy level. Its part of the Girl Guides program. Not religious.

GEMS is nothing to do with school -- its church-based.

AngelaS
09-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Weird, they were talking about GEMS at our church a few weeks ago and said it was a program they do after school at one of the public schools.

bubbaray
09-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Weird, they were talking about GEMS at our church a few weeks ago and said it was a program they do after school at one of the public schools.

http://www.gemsgc.org/main/faqs.html#2

Where do clubs meet?

Most clubs meet in the sponsoring church or Christian organization and utilize classroom space as well as larger meeting spaces.

MontrealMum
09-11-2010, 12:42 PM
One of my longtime friends is a GEMS leader - it's through her church.

Melaine
09-11-2010, 12:44 PM
That looks great. None in my state though.

ha98ed14
09-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Right, but I am sure that if you wanted DDs in that program, you could drive them to that school for the meeting. It's probaby in the MP Room. I doubt that all the girls that are participating go the the school where it is being held. There are probably several kids who come there for that program after school.