PDA

View Full Version : Any of your DDs in Brownies/Girl Scouts?

alien_host
09-10-2010, 11:52 PM
I did brownies and girl scouts for several years. I'm wondering if I should sign DD up for Brownies...she just started Kinder.

I'd love some feedback on what girls are doing at Brownie/GS meetings these days as it's been forever since I've thought about it.

TIA!

Gracemom
09-11-2010, 08:32 AM
I just signed up my DD for Brownies, and I got recruited to be the troop leader! I was in girl scouts until high school, and I have the best memories of it. Kinder and first grade are Daisy Scouts, then Brownies are 2nd & 3rd grade, at least here in TX. I haven't gone through the training yet, but it looks like a great program! We are going to meet twice a month, including field trips. The meeting usually includes an activity, short talk, and snack. Pretty low key. Hope your daughter has fun!

alien_host
09-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I didn't realize there was another level, Daisies...I only remember brownies. Anyway there is an open sign-up night coming up and I'm going to check it out.

Congrats on being the troop leader, how many girls are in the troop?

Corie - I remember your post at cookie time. Is your DD still doing GS since you moved?

WatchingThemGrow
09-11-2010, 08:59 AM
My mother's helper is - in high school. She loves it.

egoldber
09-11-2010, 09:07 AM
My older DD was a Daisy, then a Brownie and bridged to Juniors in the spring. :)

I am the assistant troop leader. We are a mixed Brownie/Junior troop, and in our troop we will have girls from grades 3-6.

She LOVES Girl Scouting. I like how it promotes independence at an age appropriate level and is purposefully inclusive of all girls. She is already planning her activities to earn her Bronze Award. :)

Also, by being a Girl Scout you have the Girl Scout day and sleep away camps available to you. They are incredibly inexpensive and generally very high quality.

The one thing I will caution is that your experience will be highly leader dependent. It is a volunteer organization and, especially at the lower levels, sometimes the leaders are not that committed and get easily overwhelmed (GS leaders have to do a LOT of planning, prep and paperwork).

Also, each troop has its own flavor. Some are more campy/outdoorsy and some are more crafty. This will depend in large part on the leader's own preferences and the interests of the mix of girls in your troop.

ETA: Daisies is now a 2 year program which I think is a bit of a waste personally. There just isn't that much to do especially for K level Daisies. My older DD only did Daisies for one year because she joined as a first grader. Girl Scout USA re-did all the age levels about 1-2 years ago, but they are still in a bit of a transition so various troops/councils will have girls of the same age at various levels. It's a bit confusing.

ETA2: So Daisies are grades K-1, Brownies are for grades 2-3, and Juniors are grades 4-5.

missliss55
09-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I co-lead DD#1's brownie troop. We started in K as Daisys and DD LOVES it. I am now looking for a daisy troop for DD#2. GS is a lot of fun.

wendmatt
09-11-2010, 11:34 AM
DD did daisys for one year and just bridged to Brownies and I stepped up to become leader. Beth is right, it really is dependant on the leader and we've had one meeting so far and I'm a bit nervous about making it fun for the girls and doing enough to make it better than last year. Our leader was wonderful but they didn't really do much, so the pressure's on me to well! Def sign up your DD, if she doesn't like it she can just do it for ayear, but I think it's a wonderful opportunity for the girls.

kristenk
09-11-2010, 11:41 AM
DD started Daisies last year in first grade. We loved it! Her troop was a new troop made of only kindergartners. It was a great way for her to get to know some of the girls in the other kindergarten classes.

DD's troop met only once per month. I'm not sure if we'll be sticking with that schedule this year or not.

thomma
09-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I agree with PP who said it depends on the leader.
Dd was a Daisy for K and 1 and is now a Brownie.
Her leader stunk...the only reason I let her finish out last year was because it was a great bunch of girls.
This year for Brownies there will be a new leader and a friend and I are pitching in as co-leaders. I'm looking forward to it...and dd is excited that I'm helping out.

I was a GS for years and got dd involved because she was having trouble making friends.

thomma
ds&dd- 7!

Gracemom
09-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm so glad to see some other leaders and co-leaders here! Leading is new to me, and I want to do it well! What makes a good leader? Were there some activities that worked better than others? And conversely, what makes a "bad" leader? I don't want to be one of those!

pinkmomagain
09-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I think it ALL depends on the leaders. If you get halfa$$ leaders, it's not the best experience. Unfortunately, that's been our experience. To answer the questions of what makes a bad leader: unorganized, does not plan, no goals, cancels meetings last minute, does not facillitate the girls getting to know one another better and work together towards common goals.

wendmatt
09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
If you're leading, try to do some activities that are not just coloring in something (kind of boring after a few meetings). There are lots of resources to give you ideas. Try to plan a few field trips and don't leave it all till the end of the year. If you do a service project, (we went to a nursing home and took GS cookies) talk to the girls about what they are doing and why it is important.
I'm new to leading but these are some things I would have done differently last year as Daisys if I was leader.
Good luck

alien_host
09-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all the info. It totally makes sense that it depends on the troop leader!