PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your preschoolers table and chairs

DietCokeLover
09-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I need a new table and chair set for DC to color at, sit at, play, etc. We have one that is all wood and adorable, but it is not sturdy enough and is wobbly. I'd like to look into getting something that is sturdy enough to handle two active preschoolers and the occasional fighting matches that occur over the green crayon at the table (:wink2:).

BillK
09-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I'll point my wife here - we just got a set from Wal Mart and it's actually surprisingly sturdy and good quality. I can't remember the name of it but it's a natural finish and very nice. It was like $129 I think.

edit: found it - it's this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft-Avalon-Table-and-Chair-Set-Natural/4200620

WatchingThemGrow
09-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I bet is the Kidkraft avalon set, bill. We have the black avalon table and 4 chairs. It's decent. Probably not PBK quality, but fine for our needs.

BillK
09-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I bet is the Kidkraft avalon set, bill. We have the black avalon table and 4 chairs. It's decent. Probably not PBK quality, but fine for our needs.
Exactly - our boys are freaking animals - no way I'd spend big bucks on stuff for them to destroy.

infomama
09-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Before I realized I could build things we bought a nice table at some random kids store. Held up OK but $$$. I would never buy another.
If you're up to it..build your own.
www.ana-white.com (http://www.ana-white.com)

dhano923
09-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I need a new table and chair set for DC to color at, sit at, play, etc. We have one that is all wood and adorable, but it is not sturdy enough and is wobbly. I'd like to look into getting something that is sturdy enough to handle two active preschoolers and the occasional fighting matches that occur over the green crayon at the table (:wink2:).

I got our from Land of Nod last Christmas - love them! We have the table and 4 chairs in our playroom. I did a wooden finsih table with red chairs. The nice thing is that you can buy the longer table legs too and turn the table into a desk or a higher table later on.

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=324&f=3824
We have these Parker play chairs in red

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=149&f=3822
We have the medium activity table in Lt. Honey with the paper roller

reissgirl
09-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I also built our table. It was the only way I could get the exact size I wanted. It was really easy, but might be a bit much if you're not at all handy.

infomama, THANK YOU for pointing me to Ana White's site. Wow, it's amazing! My project list has just grown twofold.

ZeeBaby
09-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Costco has a really nice dark wood table and chair set for the holiday season. We got it and the girls love it. It is amazingly sturdy and we are able to sit with them while older DD does projects.

mommyp
09-11-2010, 05:03 PM
We have a wood IKEA table that came with two chairs (can't remember the name right now). We've had it around a year I think and it's holding up really well with a lot of use!

justlearning
09-11-2010, 06:57 PM
We've had a kids' table and chairs in the past (the one from Ikea), but DS1 (a tall 7 year-old) outgrew that a lot time ago. So I now have a set that works for both DS1 and DS2 (4 years old) and their friends.

Here's what I have:

* Four really nice larger size preschool/elementary chairs off of CL for $3 each. (I can comfortably sit in them too.)

* A nice oval table bought off of CL for $15. It was handmade and the perfect dimensions for our playroom--much smaller than a normal table. It was standard height but it took DH less than 10 minutes to cut the legs off to make the table the perfect height for our chairs.

mommylamb
09-11-2010, 07:04 PM
We got ours at ikea for $20, and it's great. Doesn't wobble at all. DS uses it every day.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50178411

gatorsmom
09-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Another vote for Ikea. We've had ours for about 5 years and it is still as sturdy as ever.

DietCokeLover
09-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start checking them out.

For those of you with the Ikea ones, do they come assembled or do you buy them boxed and then screw them together? We'll be near an Ikea in Dec but we'll have our van packed for a cross 1/2 country trip.

ellies mom
09-11-2010, 07:28 PM
We went with a tabletop and legs from Ikea. It is quite sturdy and inexpensive. Plus we can get taller legs later.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Just want to add that our PBK dark wood finish table look like crud after three years, and it really looked bad right from just right after purchase, very disappointed in the quality.

katydid1971
09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Ikea comes flat packed, you have to attach the legs. FWIW DO NOT buy the Mammut set from Ikea. My DN has it and the legs fall off all the time (like when dc are sitting in them). DS and DN use the legs to hiteach other all the time:irked:. It is one Ikea product I think is terrible, I'm surprised they still sell it. We have a wood ikea table (I looked but I didn't see it on the website) I like it but DS has out grown it. I wish we has something either bigger or with adjustable legs.