PDA

View Full Version : what is the nice invitation wording for "no siblings please"

fauve01
09-11-2010, 08:44 PM
I learned from this board that it is OK to say on the invite "please no siblings". DH thinks it is tacky to state it on the invite, but the party is at an expensive place where we get charged a big fee for any extras, so I'd rather not have any surprises. also, dd is inviting new friends from class and i don't know the parents yet or the sibling situation. help please!

thanks,

anne + dd 10-03

GonnaBeNana
09-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I think "no siblings please" is just fine, but you could always go with the more formal "by invitation only" if that makes your husband feel better. That would be more confusing to me though.

You could also put something like "this invitation is created especially and only for..." and list the specific child's name. Hopefully, parents will get the idea from this. If not, then you may just have to explain that due to the event location, siblings are not included at this time.

Beth

HIU8
09-11-2010, 08:56 PM
We got an invite once that said "space limitations. Please do not bring siblings as they will not be allowed to participate and must leave." It was a joint party at a bounce place and the parents didn't want a free for all. I got it and I totally understand. I have said, "space limitations, no siblings please".

♥ms.pacman♥
09-11-2010, 08:58 PM
i have no exp with this, but maybe something like "due to space limitations at the party venue, we cannot accommodate siblings."

mom2binsd
09-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I agree that you need to clearly spell out that due to space limitations (you don't need to mention the extra cost) no siblings please. I know way to many brides who sent out invitations with only the parents names but three kids showed up too!!!! It's not rude. I also think it's helpful to say something like "cake and juice to be served" or "pizza and cake to be served" just so parents know how to plan...everyone eats at different times and it clears up any misconceptions.

I'd also add something like (please let me know if your child has any food allergies) as you may not know all the children coming very well.

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2010, 09:35 PM
i have no exp with this, but maybe something like "due to space limitations at the party venue, we cannot accommodate siblings."

That's exactly what I wrote when we had that issue a few years back. People really respected it.

Beth

Globetrotter
09-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I've said sorry, but due to space limitations, we cannot accomodate siblings.

tiapam
09-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Is this a party where you are expecting parents to stay for some reason? I am wondering why you would be worried about siblings otherwise, as I can't imagine someone would just drop off an extra kid. I think it's fine to say "no siblings please" though and I can't think of a better way to say it. You would think addressing the invite to one child would take care of that, but apparently not!

sewarsh
09-11-2010, 11:16 PM
we live in philly and i take it as the person the invitation is addressed to is the person that is invited. I wouldn't write "no siblings please"....sorry, but i also think its tacky. i think if the invite clearly states DD1, then certainly DS2 is not invitied. i think it goes without saying.

newbiemom
09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I think saying something about space limitations is good, and I do think it's necessary (unfortunately) . The last few parties I went to, siblings were all there, and I don't think they were all invited (one mom was fretting that she was now over the limit). It was actually the reason I did not have a school b-day party for my DS, because it seemed to be a given that siblings should come, and I didn't know a good way to avoid this situation.

baymom
09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
we live in philly and i take it as the person the invitation is addressed to is the person that is invited. I wouldn't write "no siblings please"....sorry, but i also think its tacky. i think if the invite clearly states DD1, then certainly DS2 is not invitied. i think it goes without saying.

I used to feel the same way, but you'd be surprised how many people don't interpret the invitation for just one child and bring all their kids. I would definitely clarify in the invitation. Last year, at DD's b-day party at a bounce house place, even after stating that we wouldn't be able to accommodate siblings, one family still brought the older sister.

Globetrotter
09-12-2010, 03:02 AM
IME, even after specifically saying we cannot accomodate siblings, I have had people bring them. Once a dad even brought his niece and nephew, who i didn't know at all! Now that was an extreme case, but I find it must be said. You can't assume people will understand or even read that far into the invite!

luckytwenty
09-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I've never seen that or done that. Around here, you assume the child whose name is on the envelope is the one invited, and if you need to bring another child or you won't be able to attend, you call the mom and tell her the situation. She'll either say sure, bring your other child, or sorry, we only can accomodate the invited child.

One thing that might help if you don't want to write "no siblings" and you are worried about this is to have the invited child's name on the actual invite instead of the envelope. I have seen this a lot.

EMMA is invited to Caroline's 5th birthday party, Saturday, October 9....

Or writing on top of the actual invite if it's printed

"Emma, please join us!"