PDA

View Full Version : What cooked foods do you keep on hand?

tiapam
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
I am talking about stuff you prepare ahead of time and then typically refrigerate (or maybe freeze) for use within a few days. Might be a complete dish, or just an ingredient you use in one or more dishes.

Most of what I have is on purpose leftovers. That usually means rice, and lately some little egg noodles that both DC will eat with chicken broth. I usually have cooked sliced chicken from Costco, but that is often in the freezer so I forget about it sometimes! Sometimes we have crepes, pancakes, or waffles, but again that is usually leftovers.

Anyway, just wondering what else might be good to cook ahead and have on hand. I am not talking about once a month cooking, more like thinking a few days ahead.

citymama
09-12-2010, 12:22 AM
We will almost always have home-made pasta sauce in the fridge - either pesto or tomato-based sauce. I also like making soups ahead of time. We'll sometimes make a lasagna ahead of time and then put it in the oven a couple of days later. Beans (black, pinto, black eyed peas) are also staples we cook a day or 2 ahead of time if we have a chunk of time to cook.

essnce629
09-12-2010, 12:25 AM
We will almost always have home-made pasta sauce in the fridge - either pesto or tomato-based sauce. I also like making soups ahead of time. We'll sometimes make a lasagna ahead of time and then put it in the oven a couple of days later. Beans (black, pinto, black eyed peas) are also staples we cook a day or 2 ahead of time if we have a chunk of time to cook.

Yeah, I often have spaghetti sauce or whole beans in my fridge or freezer. I make extra so I can freeze what we don't eat in a few days.

zoestargrove
09-13-2010, 02:14 PM
pasta sauces, soups, beans, rice, pasta or quinoa

I roast vegetables and use them throughout the week.,steam or blanch broccoli and use throughout the week and I always chop up fresh fruit like melons or pineapple so that it is easy for the kids to get themselves.

Another thing that works well as a frittata. Slices can be reheated up each day for breakfast or lunch.

DietCokeLover
09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I always have bags of browned ground beef or turkey in my fridge. Makes it easy for tacos, spaghetti, etc.

I usually also have a loaf of banana bread in the freezer.

We also have a mexican dip that we really like and there are often containers of that in the freezer.

hellokitty
09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Well, this doesn't exactly answer your question in the way you want it to, BUT I tend to cook more than we need for meals, in order to have leftovers available in our fridge. So, there are almost always some cooked foods in there. Of course, yesterday we ate everything and I didn't cook, so now there's nothing in there cooked.