PDA

View Full Version : Question for CL sellers...where do you meet people to show your items?

TwinFoxes
09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm possibly going to sell some clothes to a mom on a local moms board. I don't know her and I assume for both of our safety's sake we will meet in a neutral location. I can't imagine taking baskets of clothes to a starbucks, the ones I know around here are small, and I can't imagine maneuvering the BJCMD and clothes easily. Any suggestions?

boogiemomz
09-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I've met in the parking lot of a bank, of McD's, Borders, places like that. I've never gone inside, just looked at the item in the PL. But they've all been single items that don't require much looking at, as I suppose a big pile of clothes would be. Maybe going inside a fast food place would offer a bit more room than a coffee shop? Good luck!

bubbaray
09-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I've always had the person come to my house, but usually when DH is here.

TwinFoxes
09-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I've always had the person come to my house, but usually when DH is here.

I actually wouldn't mind this, but I think many people would be uncomfortable. I don't think it's the norm here to meet in someone's home.

eno0609
09-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I just sold our Mac Triumph on CL last week :) (first time posting/selling) and I suggested that we meet a mall that was close to both of us, but it turned out to be easier and even closer for her to come to our house since she lived in our neighbourhood.

Since she sounded totally normal and pleasant and DH was home that day, she came over (just looked at the stroller in our front yard). But I think that a mall is a good public place since it has lots of room for viewing.

egoldber
09-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't think it's the norm here to meet in someone's home.

DH is the CL seller here and generally people do come to the home. We've sold a stroller and some other gear.

But this is one reason we don't sell much on CL. I am not home during the day and DH is often out and about and it is usually a huge pain to schedule a time and then people flake, etc.

Melaine
09-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I've met at the food court in the mall (I don't think anyone cares what you drag in there, it's too chaotic for anyone to notice), pretty much every parking lot in town, the park, YMCA, my home, their home, you name it. I have a friend who meets at a park that happens to be right next to a very busy police station. I am fine with people coming to the house when DH is home. I've had a few flakes, but in general great luck with CL. And I have to say I have met some very nice people and have several repeat customers.

mousemom
09-12-2010, 12:09 PM
We've normally met in a grocery store parking lot near our house. Since we live in an apartment complex, we also sometimes meet people outside the management office for the complex.

pinkmomagain
09-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Parking lot of Toys R Us most of the time. Sometimes Starbucks. I think only 2-3x I've had someone come to my house.

twowhat?
09-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I've actually always had someone come to our home (I do screen buyers though - they have to pass my email and phone test). I always do it when DH is home. We have 2 large dogs, one that looks scary (but isn't) and one that acts scary (but isn't). I feel pretty safe. I never have people come after dark.

I've only had 1 person ask to meet somewhere and I told her I couldn't because it is more convenient for me to have someone come to the house.

I've always picked up items at seller's homes too. If they don't want me to come in, they bring the item out to the front yard.

But I totally agree that it depends on your area.

WatchingThemGrow
09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Totally depends on the item. I'm not dragging something huge all over town. And, a bunch of clothes...they can come to my house - sometimes when DH is home. Last week I had a girl come with her 2yo and she was 8 mos pg, buying Hannas...I didn't feel at all unsafe. I usually just have the stuff in our side-entry mudroom, laid out on the futon so they can see it all. Then I put out other stuff...Oohh...you may want this too...and this too!! :)

Ceepa
09-12-2010, 02:46 PM
For smaller items I ususally meet in front of a busy store. Large items, furniture sold at home when DH is here and only after I get a feeling for the buyer not being a lunatic or flake.

DietCokeLover
09-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I sold one of my pea pods this weekend. The girl came to our business (where we live too, but she didn't know that) and she looked at the item here.

I've also met in the parking lot of Sam's and a Chic Fil A on a Sunday (they're closed) but we both had our DH's with us and were coming from church.

kijip
09-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I prefer to do it at my house because it's far easier to deal with a flake out if I am at my own house than if I am at a Starbucks or whatever.

I have a pretty strict system...I don't give my address until the following things have been met:

-I have received a detailed, grammatically correct email which follows my instructions (send me 3 times you can come to my neighborhood for pick-up, include your phone number in the email).

-I have spoken to them on the phone.

-I never tell them when we will be home or not home, I just confirm a time that they have listed. I don't want to send out a schedule for when my house will be empty.

My dad or my husband have to be here.

I will skip anything that is strange or sometimes (I know, sad) skip any man who I don't get a strong "sensitive Seattle 90's guy" vibe from. The one time I let a macho sounding man come over, he tried to intimidate me into a lower price and frankly had he not had his pregnant wife with him I might have kicked him out of my house using physical force. 10 minutes later, she called and apologetically said they would get cash and return with the price I had said I would take, higher than what he tried to get me to take. Mostly it is women buying the stuff we are selling.

TwinFoxes
09-13-2010, 12:00 AM
You guys have given me good tips. Honestly, I'm not that nervous, but I had always heard that people met in public places. My preference would be to meet at home.

Smillow
09-13-2010, 12:13 AM
I have just sold 4 different baby items this past week and everyone has come to my house (although I did say that we could meet in a public place in the ad). Young mothers and grandmothers who were all perfectly nice and friendly:)

elektra
09-13-2010, 04:28 AM
I've only done it at my house actually. I always feel a little sketched out but everyone I've ever dealt with has been totally normal, at least the ones who make it to the point of actually commiting to come look at the item.

TamiRuns
09-13-2010, 07:11 AM
We mostly have people come to the house but I make sure DH is here and his presence is known....also, I have met ppl at a local Target parking lot. Sometimes ppl are hesitant to show up at a strange house and I get that...

arivecchi
09-13-2010, 07:30 AM
I've sold lots of things outside of my townhome complex or at the park nearby.

momm
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
A local store? McD's? Even a park?

Definitely safer to meet outside than give them your address, I feel!

Melbel
09-13-2010, 12:21 PM
I have sold quite a bit of gear items by meeting at a public place. I also screen customers by email and phone before agreeing to meet.

We sold our dining room table by allowing one person to come to our home. I ultimately sold it for less than it was worth, but through experience, I learned that I really did not like having strangers in my home, so I sold it to the first person who had a somewhat reasonable offer.

We did go to several other people's home, with DH, to look at dining room sets. I felt more comfortable going to someone else's home than having people in my own home.

citymama
09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
We've sold mostly kids and maternity stuff, and have done all of the following:
- people over to our house (both of us present; buyers are usually a couple or a mom)
- pick up at the door - ring the bell, I'll come to the door and give you the item; you give me the $$
- meet outside local cafe (there's a bench to sit on)
- meet at other public location (once a grocery store parking lot, once a garden supply store!)

alien_host
09-13-2010, 01:01 PM
For bigger things like furniture or appliances, I have them come to my home but we put the item in the garage so they aren't actually coming inside and DH is here.

If they are items that I can easily put in the car, I will offer to meet them. Usually it is the parking lot of CVS, grocery store etc.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
i've only sold one item and bought one item from CL. in both cases, buyer went to seller's home to pick up item. i didn't see anything weird about it, i think it's the norm around here. :shrug: if you don't want someone coming inside your house, you can just have item ready at the door (or in the yard or garage, depending on what it is).

i think for me it would be tons easier to have someone come over to pick up something, than for me to arrange a time (that doesn't conflict with ds's nap/feeding time) and on top of that have to schlep DS and everything in the car to some other place. usually people want to meet on weekend on in the evenings anyway (when DH is home anyway) so it's just easier for me to have ppl come over. when we go pick things up, it's usually on the weekend and we all go together (DH, DS, and I).

ewpmsw
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM
When dealing with members of local moms' group, I've picked up/dropped off items at their homes. I'm not wild about doing that, but will if we're having trouble coordinating schedules for meeting in a public spot. If I'm selling something (which is rare) or Freecycling, I'll meet in a public place during business hours: grocery store, local library or another busy spot. I try to make it convenient for me and the other person.

brittone2
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
In front of a grocery store or other local public place (coffee shop, etc.) if during the day.

If they need an evening time to check stuff out I only do it with DH home and I just try to be kind of selective. If I get any red flags going off in my head whatsoever, I don't even bother responding. I realize you can't always tell but I try to use my common sense if there are several interested parties, and kind of work with the person I feel more comfortable with, kwim? That is totally not foolproof, but I do believe in trusting my judgment if I feel anything is "off".

3blackcats
09-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm in Northern VA and for non baby stuff I have met the person somewhere public. Except the huge coffee table I sold, but DH was here with me.

For baby stuff, I have always picked it up at someones house. I have not sold any myself.

I went to a woman's house last week to pick up some stuff. I asked her to meet me in a public place but asked me to come to her house as she did not have her car with the car seats. And when I got there she was home with her two kids. So I felt safe to go in. If I was worried I would have waited and had DH come with me. All the other times, DH has been with me.

Good luck with your sale. Hopefully on a mom's board you won't get the flakes from Craigslist.

Babymakes3
09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
We have a crappy little mall down the street with a Kmart, Steinmart and Ross, mostly the older folks go walk there to be honest. Anyway, it's along a busy road so I would just have people meet me in the parking lot.
If hubby was available I would drag him along. This way I can leave ds in the car...i have weird thoughts that someone could be a kid snatcher or something!

If I have to go to someone's home I take someone else with me. We just sold a fridge so they obviously came here, just made sure hubby was home.
I had my BIL come over one day bc hubby wasn't available and I was going to be dealing with a guy by myself.

DrSally
09-13-2010, 08:41 PM
We've sold mostly kids and maternity stuff, and have done all of the following:
- people over to our house (both of us present; buyers are usually a couple or a mom)
- pick up at the door - ring the bell, I'll come to the door and give you the item; you give me the $$
- meet outside local cafe (there's a bench to sit on)
- meet at other public location (once a grocery store parking lot, once a garden supply store!)

I usually do the first 2. I prefer to have people come over to my house, b/c I don't want to pack the kids up and meet somewhere and deal with flakes. A total waste of my time. If it's just one item, I'll meet them at the door with the item. Almost all of the time, it's moms or couples coming over to buy baby items. A few times, dads have come, but it's clear they have a newborn and mom is in the hospital. Usually we've emailed quite a few times, so I have a decent feel for them. I try to do it when DH is home, but not always. Recently, a mom I corresponded with quite a bit came over with her son. The 2 boys played outside while she went through all my maternity and nursing clothes. She was very grateful that I let her look through all of the stuff. She was very normal and had her son. I had great stuff and she was able to get it for very, very cheap, but I got more than I would've gotten at a garage sale.

american_mama
09-13-2010, 11:51 PM
I've suggested meeting at a library, but not yet done it. I've met in parking lots and outside Ben and Jerry's (easy place to wait, located at a popular and convenient shopping place). I've also had people come here and gone to other people's houses.

But I think I've read about some buyers on Craigs List using it as an opportunity to case someone's house for a later robbery, and there was a horrible double murder when a con artist pretended to be buying a couple's luxury yet, then killed them on it when they went for a test sail. So in the future, I think I'm going to always meet buyers and sellers elsewhere, which is hard for some items.