PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Autotrain to WDW two weeks from today!

TwinFoxes
09-12-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm very excited! :yay: I have been in Disney withdrawal since moving East. We are staying at BWV, any tips are appreciated!

We decided on the auto train for a few reasons...mostly because our last flying experience was a nightmare for all involved. Plus DDs love trains, it seems more relaxing, and we will have our car with us. Plus it just seems cool! I'll report back on how the train goes. It is more expensive than flying, but not that much because the train tix for the girls are cheap, but they have to pay full fare to fly.

liz
09-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Never heard of this. May I ask what area you live in? Anyway, sounds like fun. Have a great time!!

TwinFoxes
09-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks!

I live in the DC suburbs. The autotrain leaves from Lorton VA, and goes straight to Sanford FL, which is about 20 minutes from WDW. You HAVE to take an auto with you, you can't ride just as a passenger. It's an overnight train, and you can either rent a compartment, or sleep in the seats (which apparently isn't that bad, but since we have toddlers we opted for a compartment). I'm really excited to try it out.

clc053103
09-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Awesome!! We leave 1 week from today!!!!!! But we are flying. Autotrain sounds pretty cool!!

Anything is better than driving....we were in Disney on 9/11 and many days after our departure date with no airport opening in sight we decided to drive home in our rental car. 18 painful hours!

elektra
09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
The car train sounds cool! Then you don't have to deal with transportation once you are there too. Have a great time!

egoldber
09-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Oh have fun! We've thought about doing it many times, but I am of the school of thought that I would rather be in agony for 3 hours flying than on a train for 12/18 hours. ;)

kbud
09-13-2010, 10:39 AM
wow, I've never heard of it. Sounds cool. Have fun. FYI - Sanford is 45 minutes to an hour from Disney. Hopefully it will cool down soon. We live here, and it's still really hot! Our seasonal passes were good again almost a month ago and we haven't been because it's still so hot.

arivecchi
09-13-2010, 10:43 AM
That sounds really fun. I think I would rather do that over flying also! Good luck!

TwinFoxes
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh have fun! We've thought about doing it many times, but I am of the school of thought that I would rather be in agony for 3 hours flying than on a train for 12/18 hours. ;)

I may feel the same way, talk to me in a few weeks! ;)

But seriously, that last plane ride was just disastrous. It didn't help that we were flying out of Detroit the day after the underwear bomber tried to blow up the plane...over Detroit. So we got to the airport super early, and made it through security in 1/2 an hour. So we entertained the girls for 2 hours. Then the plane was late leaving the tarmac. I'm sure you can figure out how it all ended up...No one said anything, but I know there were some status updates of "Just had the flight from hell with two screaming babies". At least on the train they can move around freely, they'll have their own space (our sleeper car), and we can get them food/drink whenever. They sleep for 12 hours anyway, so hopefully it will go OK.

I'll do a trip report on the train when I get back. :)

K-Bear
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Please do a trip report on the Autotrain! It sounds so neat but I don't know if I want to brave it with an active 5 and 3 year old.

alien_host
09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Have fun!