PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever worked for a test prep company?

fivi2
09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
One of those GRE/SAT/LSAT prep companies (like Kaplan, Testmasters, etc)?

I am considering looking for a part-time job, (car woes and preschool woes are making the budget uglier than anticipated) but it is difficult to find something that will work with our schedule. Some of those test prep companies are advertising in our area and I meet the initial qualifications. Since they appear to be evening/weekend type places, we might be able to make that work...

Has anyone ever been an instructor for one of those companies? Any thoughts?

Any other ideas for an ex-special ed teacher, ex-attorney who has no burning desire to return to either of those fields unless necessary? :)

Nechums
09-12-2010, 02:07 PM
i was an instructor for kaplan. i really enjoyed it, but only taught one semester because i didnt think the money was good.

nrp
09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
i was an instructor for kaplan. i really enjoyed it, but only taught one semester because i didnt think the money was good.

:yeahthat: Exactly. I taught one LSAT class before law school. You had to take a training course for a few weeks that paid dismally, and then the actually teaching was a little better, but still didn't seem worth the time. You don't get paid for preparation time, as I recall.

fivi2
09-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've been googling law student message boards trying to see if it is worth it. It seems some companies pay more, but offer fewer hours. And I'm in a smaller market, so the higher paying ones don't pay as much in the first place...

Thanks!