PDA

View Full Version : Our first broken bone

AngelaS
09-12-2010, 02:31 PM
My 8 yo fell out of a tree last night, caught herself as she landed on the ground and managed to break her ulna, right at her elbow. We iced it and gave her some ibuprofen. This morning it was more swollen in one spot so I took her in for xrays.

Tomorrow we'll see the orthopedist and see if they can set it and cast it or find out if they'll need to operate and pin it.

Please pray that it doesn't need surgery! :)

WatchingThemGrow
09-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Ugh. poor thing. That's one of my hugest fears. Hope your DD is okay!

Yesterday my 4yo learned to climb a tree for the first time. I'll remind her to be VERY careful.

Smillow
09-12-2010, 02:41 PM
:grouphug: Sorry this happened! P &PT your way for no surgery & quick recovery!

Ceepa
09-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Yikes! I hope she's on the mend soon.

DebbieJ
09-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Ugh! My 6 yo broke his humerous a year ago in a similar accident--fell from the monkey bars. He's having surgery next week. :(

I hope your daughter's arm heals up quickly and properly!

bubbaray
09-12-2010, 03:38 PM
P&PT coming your way -- HUGS! :grouphug:

brittone2
09-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Hoping for quick healing and no surgery!

My two monkeys were climbing trees a few days ago and I told DH I couldn't look!! I know it is coming...

Crossing my fingers your DD is totally healed before long.

Tondi G
09-12-2010, 04:49 PM
ahhh bummer! We've been through 3 broken arms. 1st was at the right elbow and required surgery to set and pin it. 2nd was left forearm both bones. 3rd was right forearm 1 bone.

One thing I learned through it all. If you can request gortex lining (had to pay $10 cash for the roll in the ortho office) GET IT! It makes the cast less hot/sticky/itchy and makes baths/showers a lot easier. DS had a glow in the dark cast 2 times and it was COOL! Ibuprofen is your friend. It's better than the tylenol with codeine cause it helps more with the inflammation and doesn't make your kiddo groggy (my DS didn't like the feeling).

Hope your kiddo doesn't need surgery and pins (that was tough for us, but DS was 5 at the time). My DS's elbow break, the bone actually rotated the other direction (we thought it was dislocated at first), hopefully that isn't the case with your DD. Every time I look at the scar he has it makes me cringe. It's part of him now though and everyone tells him "well you have a story to tell the girls when you're older" LOL!

ThreeofUs
09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh, no! My niece did this and they did have to pin it. P&PT coming that it heals cleanly without surgery.

MamaMolly
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh, sweetheart! Poor little thing! Smoochies to all and P and PT that they can just set it.

GonnaBeNana
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
That is never an easy thing to go through with your child! I have 4 kids and 3 of them have broken an bone at one time or another. Prayers for a quick recovery!

Beth

DietCokeLover
09-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Oh I'm so sorry. Hope there is minimal damage.

Indianamom2
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh poor thing! I'm so sorry. Hopefully, she won't need pins or surgery...that doesn't sound like much fun.

For what it's worth, you're not alone. DD#1 broke her first bone almost two weeks ago when she fell off the monkey bars at school. She broke her big toe, but no one knew, so she had to walk around on it the rest of the day. Thankfully, she didn't need a cast, but she's walking in a special shoe for a while. We have to get it rechecked in about two weeks.

Fun stuff. Hope your daughter feels better soon!