PDA

View Full Version : Peanut allergy moms, is Cheerios Snack Mix safe? Need to know soon.

cdlamis
09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
DD#2 is allergic to peanuts. Her teacher is very good about asking me ahead of time if a snack will be served in class. They are using Cheerios Snack Mix for a counting activity tomorrow in class. I cannot find an ingredient list on the Cheerio website and won't be able to get to a store until after the activity.

So PA parents, can anyone tell me if there are nuts in this mix? I assume no but want to make sure. FWIW, DD won't have to eat the mix, just sort with her hands.

I will check myself when I drop her off but the teacher just emailed me and wants to know if its ok. TIA!

hillview
09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I found this.
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=10617&start=1

But I am not an expert ...
/hillary

alien_host
09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
I would bring in a box of plain Cheerios for them to use. It would be cheaper for the school to just use plain cheerios or a non-food item even.

I don't understand why school use FOOD for art or manipulatives....just seems icky (even w/out the FA factor).

I'd nicely encourage the teacher to use non-food going forward, and maybe you can even buy them for the classroom.

Good luck!

alien_host
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
OK if they want to "sort", can you bring a ziplock with 3-4 different safe cereals...Cheerios, Kix, Chex and maybe a pretzel?

DrSally
09-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I've never seen it. I like the idea of bringing 3 different kinds of cereal in.