PDA

View Full Version : Moms to boys, need a clue.

infomama
09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Dd1's fairy party is in the works and I have mentioned that I am going to be making 'peter pan' hats for the (two) boys that will be in attendance. The reaction I got from both of my girlfriends leads to believe that 6 year old boys are going to think these hats are lame. I got the standard, 'oohh'. They are too sweet to tell me my idea sucks so you tell me....does it suck?
Should I make them swords? Something else?

ecofem
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
how about pirate hats... wasn't there a pirate in Peter Pan?

Tondi G
09-12-2010, 04:56 PM
check your local CVS. I saw those huge bubble swords on major sale... 75% off or something. I think the peter pan hats and the bubble swords would be great... the boys get their swords but won't be swinging them around smacking each other.

larig
09-12-2010, 04:56 PM
maybe they could be lost boys hats? maybe lost boys sounds cooler than peter pan?

HannaAddict
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Dd1's fairy party is in the works and I have mentioned that I am going to be making 'peter pan' hats for the (two) boys that will be in attendance. The reaction I got from both of my girlfriends leads to believe that 6 year old boys are going to think these hats are lame. I got the standard, 'oohh'. They are too sweet to tell me my idea sucks so you tell me....does it suck?
Should I make them swords? Something else?

Lose that type of hat, no matter what you call it. It would not be my six year old son's choice, and he is open to new things. At two years old or for babies, the hats would be adorable. For bigger boys, not so much. I would skip it and maybe do knights or pirates (think Tinkerbell and the pirates?) or something like that, or no hats at all would be fine too. The blog with the fairy party and peter pan hats had great ideas, but not for older boys. Swords would be a big crowd pleaser, soft foam ones perhaps. A great party favor too.

newmomto1
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Well I can tell you that my 6 year old DS AND all of his friends LOOOOVE the toy foam swords I got him. I got his awhile ago at the Dollar Spot at Target. I have seen them other places too...Toys R Us, Dollar Store, etc.
I think it might be a better way to go than the hats IMO ;)

MamaMolly
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Same issue here. Lula chose Tinkerbell for her 4th. There will be three boys ages 4, 6 and 10. I asked the mom about making a pirate dagger (actually I asked if they allow weapon play, some parents don't) and she said he actually likes Tinkerbell so not to bother.

With the 6 and 10 yo I'd planned to just do candy, for the most part. So that was my solution. HTH

KpbS
09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
While the Peter Pan hats would be undoubtedly cuter, I think 6 yo boys would like pirate hats much better. DS1 votes pirate ;)

eta I vote no swords as well. They won't be able to not sword fight during the party. Possible favor idea for the very end of the party though.

JBaxter
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Im with the pirate hat/ sword crew. Nathan would look at the peter pan hat and say... Im not wearing that thing.

hillview
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I vote pirate hats but would NOT do swords -- my boys would be BAD with them
/hillary

Uno-Mom
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
If you get pirate hats, have extra. When I was a six yr old girl I would have fought for my right to have the pirate hat instead!!! And don't get me started on the sword thing...

ohiomom
09-12-2010, 10:42 PM
At karate center b-day party this weekend they made balloon swords. They looked super basic and easy -- and would be gone in a few days, making some parents very happy. The kids LOVED them (particularly my 2 girls! LOL!).

deborah_r
09-12-2010, 11:18 PM
At karate center b-day party this weekend they made balloon swords. They looked super basic and easy -- and would be gone in a few days, making some parents very happy. The kids LOVED them (particularly my 2 girls! LOL!).

This would be awesome! My boys love those balloon swords!

I asked DS (7 yrs) if he would wear a Peter Pan hat and he said sure, but I googled an image of one and then he said no.