PDA

View Full Version : Have spaghetti on stove-help me make dinner

lovebebes
09-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I dont like premade pasta sauce and neither do the kids. We are more of the pasta with garlic and olive oil kind. I have the spaghetti on the stove right now and also have:

mushrooms
super meaty and good farmers market tomatoes
great feta cheese
herbs and garlic

I feel like I can manage to make the above into a sauce but would appreciate any specific tips and ideas to add other stuff! TIA!

lchang25000
09-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I add all those ingredients minus the cheese, plus ground turkey, onions, and red/green bell peppers,

lovebebes
09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
oh i like the turkey idea! thx. too bad i dont have any.

crl
09-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I'd probably roast the tomatoes in the oven rather than making a sauce from them. I have these vague memories of recipes calling for the tomatoes to be peeled and then put through a sieve to strain out the seeds? Anyway I used to roast tomatoes, garlic and mozzarella and serve that over pasta. Super yummy.

Catherine

elizabethkott
09-12-2010, 07:01 PM
heat olive oil (1-2 tbls) in pan. Either mince or press 3-5 garlic cloves and cook until almost brown.
Cut up the tomatoes and add them to the mix. cook until the tomatoes are tender. Add 2 tbls sugar (I know, it seems weird), 2 tbls basil, some oregano (I do about 1 1/2 tbls). Then either use a masher to mash everything up a bit, a blender to puree, or an imersion blender. If you want, sautee the mushrooms (sliced) with a bit more olive oil and add at this point.
This is basicly the same sauce recipe my mom uses. If she doesn't have fresh tomatoes, she uses a 28oz can of peeled tomatoes. It's not totally necessary to have the fresh ones peeled, tho.

lchang25000
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I forgot to mention that I saute the ground turkey first with garlic and olive oil, then add in all the veggies and cook for a few minutes, then add in the pasta. I love adding red pepper flakes or jalapeno slices to my pasta and a dash of parmesan cheese...yum!

Mommy_Again
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Surely you've already eaten but for future reference, super easy tomato sauce from my authentic, Italian-born grandmother:

Keep cans of high quality San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes in your pantry. Pulse a can in the cuisinart and then add to whatever sauted meat or veggies you have on hand. I usually add a little water to it (and herbs of course), and sometimes tomato paste to thicken it up (I freeze paste in ice tray cubes and store in freezer since recipes rarely call for an entire can, usually just tablespoons at a time).

Mangia!