PDA

View Full Version : GI issues: gall bladder probable surgery-update in post #21

MoJo
09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't yet know what's going on with me yet. (I saw a Dr Thursday and need to schedule an ultrasound of my gall bladder.)

Apparently, gall bladder issues most affect those who are female (yep), fertile (yep), forty (almost), and who have had fast weight loss, including post partum (yep).

Ulcers can be caused by high dosages of Ibuprofen, which I took for about two months this summer.

It seems like both can cause indigestion and attacks, which I'm having, and they seem to be getting worse.

Bing-ing (DH doesn't want to Google any more) was more confusing than helpful. Right now, I just want to hear stories, so I can be informed and have good questions to ask the next time I see the Dr. I tried to talk to DH, but his way of handling things like this is to NOT talk about it, and I need to be able to discuss it. This seems like a good place to go to at least find a lot of people who might be in the same situation. When I did a search here, I only found one story, and the poster indicated that gall bladder surgery did NOT resolve her digestive issues.

So, does anyone have any stories to share?

pinkmomagain
09-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Care to describe your symptoms in more detail? I'm assuming you are having some discomfort on your right side under your ribs if they are suspecting GB?

spanannie
09-13-2010, 10:18 AM
When I was having these symptoms, we did all sorts of tests to r/o gallbladder, ulcer, etc. Turns out I am gluten intolerant. Just something to keep on your radar. Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon!

ThreeofUs
09-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Hmmm... Indigestion and pain can be caused by a LOT of things. As Gina said, care to elaborate on what's going on with you and what you are feeling? (Including when you eat as well as when you don't?)

(And fwiw when I was having these symptoms, like Annie, it turned out I was gluten intolerant....)

MoJo
09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
The three attacks seemed fairly centered right/left and up/down, but when the Doctor was examining me, it was more sore on the right. All three attacks were right before bed. The first two lasted about 20 minutes, and the third lasted a few hours but wasn't as intense.

My back hurt too, but my back hurts with everything. . . I had back labor, and it doesn't take much for my back to hurt now. The first time, I felt like I may have had a low grade fever, but I didn't actually take my temperature.

The attacks have been about two weeks apart each time. I am having an increasing amount of what I assume is indigestion in between times. The attacks are bad enough that I had to ask someone else to take care of the kids the first two times. I didn't even feel like I could continue nursing the baby (who was almost but not quite finished with her last feeding) when the first one started. When the third one hit this weekend, the kids were already asleep.

All three days, I had had meat + salad for dinner, which is very typical for me (so I certainly don't have an attack every time I eat that). Dinner was two or more hours earlier each time (the doctor said gall attacks are usually 30 minutes after a fatty meal, but I didn't find that online).

I appreciate the heads-up about the gluten. . . I've talked to four medical people so far (my new family doctor, a phone nurse at my OB-Gyn's office, and my ILs) and everyone is saying gall bladder or ulcer and no one suggested gluten intolerance.

I have now scheduled my US for Saturday morning.

ETA: I'm a nursing mom; I eat all the time! I'm not having any nausea or lack of appetite. Yesterday was the first day I didn't really feel like eating; I had a lot more indigestion than usual and got very little sleep the night before due to the third attack + our fire alarm going off at 4:30 and 5:00. But I did eat, then felt better in general. I ate more a few hours later and felt better. Ate again and then started getting the indigestion again. Today, I've already eaten twice (cereal with almond milk for breakfast, then a big salad with a small portion of meat for "brunch" and have a little indigestion.

wendibird22
09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
No personal experience but my secretary (early 60's) had her gall bladder removed a few years ago. Her attacks came after almost every meal. Pain, gas, vomiting, diarrhea, etc all would happen to her daily. The time between diagnosis and surgery she pretty much had to eliminate dairy, meat, and any other fatty food from her diet just to get through the day (she ate lost of broth based meat free soups).

MoJo
09-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I've had an increase in burping & gas, but no nausea, no vomiting, no diarrhea.

I've already eliminated most dairy because DD#2 doesn't do well when I eat it. I don't seem to have to worry about it in processed food, but I can't drink milk, eat cheese, or use either in my cooking based on her, not me. (But I wasn't having any of my indigestion or attacks before I eliminated those from my diet.)

I'm kind of concerned because DH keeps telling me how important fats are for my brain and DD's, and if I have an issue that means I can't digest them, I don't know what that will mean for our long-term health.

sdrew99
09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago after my attacks got more severe - lasting for an hour in the middle of the night after eating fatty foods. The only definitive way to find out if you have gallstones is via ultrasound - my family doctor sent me for one and found my gallstones and also some kidney stones. I had to wait about 3 weeks for surgery, and during that time I avoided high fat foods so I wouldn't have an attack. Since having my gall bladder out, I havent' had any problems!

zag95
09-13-2010, 11:38 AM
I also had a major GB attack a few years ago- it presented itself after a meal which included steak, at about 1:30a- I got sick and then had seriously intense pain- I thought maybe I was having a heart attach- could not get comfortable either standing, sitting, laying down, etc. Nothing helped. I had gallstones- went on a fat free diet from about Thanksgiving to Jan, when I had my surgery- it was hard because once in a while I'd forget and eat something that would hurt- I didn't do coffee, wine, pop, chocolate, eggs, cheese, butter/marg, salad dressing, I ate some vegan foods with protein, that would keep me full- meats or anything with trace fat, would cause major pain.

When I met with my surgeon, he said that sometimes you can have different symptoms- in some people it presents differently- so those several years when I had back pain it may have been GB attacks- who knew!

At any rate, it was removed and I've had no issues- if I eat too much grease (such as a burger and fries) my system doesn't like it- so I just don't.

Hope you get feeling better and get your questions resolved!
Take care,

gatorsmom
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I had some "suspected" gall bladder issues a few years ago after my 2nd child was born. It didn't cause serious pain- just some strong pressure not far below my sternum and some nausea. I saw a few doctors about it and a few of them said that eating foods high in fat (deep fried foods, high-fat meats, etc.) can aggravate gall bladder issues. I laid off them for a while and the problem cleared somewhat.

But I also started taking Citracel (which acts much like Miralax, if you are familiar with that) to help my digestive tract to move things along more regularly. I took that for about 3 years. According to every doctor I've talked to, it's harmless- it's not at all absorbed into the body. It simply draws water into the bowel to help move things along. When I became more regular, the pressure went away. I really think that taking the Citracil and eating lower fat foods helped with those issues.

It's really, really hard to diagnose GI problems. There are just so many things that could be wrong. Keep working with your GI doc to try to narrow it down. It took me several visits, different tests and trying different diets and such to figure out what was going on. I hope you can find some relief soon. :hug:

MoJo
09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info & stories, everyone. My u/s did show gall stones, so now I'm waiting to hear back from my Dr. office to see when I meet the GI Dr.

I'm happy to say I got a glowing referral from a good friend for the GI Dr. they are trying to schedule me with, so that helps some of my anxiety.

ETA: My doctor's office called back and said they thought they should be referring me to a general surgeon, not a GI doctor, which seems the opposite of what my friend who recommended the GI doc and my FIL (who is a retired nurse) said. Now I'm not sure what to do. . . see a highly recommended GI for a "second opinion" or a surgeon I know nothing about but who the doctor's office thinks is who I should be talking to next. I thought that the GI was both a second opinion and the surgeon as needed. How do you find a good "general surgeon," anyway? My medical experience is so limited that I didn't know such a thing existed.

lilycat88
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I went straight from internal med doc to general surgeon for my gall bladder removal. Ultrasound showed stones and I was operated on about 4 days later.

niccig
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
A friend had gall bladder surgery and she still has digestive issues - bloating, pain, diarrhea. She can't eat any fatty food or dairy at all now - and she feels she wasn't told the full story of possible consequences - so I would just do what you are doing and research like crazy to make sure you know all possible complications.
I hope things get better.

zag95
09-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I would get a surgeon who specializes in gallbladder removals or similar GI issues- ask how many removals they perform each month-I assume the surgeon will perform it laparascopically (where they make 4 tiny cuts and go in, rather than a huge big scar of the old days!)

I would agree with your friend and FIL that I would go for someone who has experience dealing with gallstone/GB issues/treatment. You want someone experienced in there!

GL!

MissyAg94
09-27-2010, 05:26 PM
I had mine taken out by a surgeon.

My gallbladder attacks (excruciating pain in my right side and between my shoulder blades) were completely resolved by having my GB out. However, there are side effects to having it out and my surgeon talked to me about them extensively.

elephantmeg
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
at the hospital where I work the general surgeons do the gallbladder surgeries.

liz
09-27-2010, 08:29 PM
In my hospital, the GI docs see you if you have gallstones in the bile ducts, and can remove them if they are in the bile ducts. The general surgeon removes the gallbladder ( and stones - if they are in the gallbladder itself). hth

MoJo
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I set an appointment for next week with the GI doctor. I learned that he still wouldn't be the one to do the surgery if I need it, but he is very experienced in GI issues, and my friend said he won't recommend surgery unless he's pretty certain someone needs it. I feel better about that course of action than just hearing the un-identified phone nurse at the family doctor's office (that I've been to one time) saying, "you have gall stones, here's the name of a surgeon."

Nicci, I read that up to 30% of people who have their gallbladder out have that problem, but I haven't yet read enough to figure out (if anyone knows) what the difference is for that group of people.

MissyAg94 and Lilycat88, do you mind sharing what side effects you have, if any? So far in my reading and asking people I know, it seems most people feel 100% better and have no issues afterwards; some people have to restrict their fat intake but are otherwise OK; and people like Nicci's friend are no better (and perhaps even worse) off after the surgery than before.

I admit being scared of surgery. . . I was allergic to the anesthesia when I had my wisdom teeth removed and vomited for days. That would be way worse with stomach surgery and as a breastfeeding mom, and since I was only 12 when I had that last surgery done, I have no idea what anesthesia was used.

Thank you, everyone, for your input and just letting me "talk." I need that sometimes, and the people in my life generally don't understand that.

MissyAg94
09-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I have no side effects. The excruciating pain is gone and that is priceless to me. That was the worst pain I have ever experienced. But my surgeon warned me that cramping and diarrhea after fatty meals can be one of the possible side effects.

liz
09-28-2010, 07:10 AM
II admit being scared of surgery. . . I was allergic to the anesthesia when I had my wisdom teeth removed and vomited for days. That would be way worse with stomach surgery and as a breastfeeding mom, and since I was only 12 when I had that last surgery done, I have no idea what anesthesia was used.

When/if you need anesthesia, talk with the anesthesiologist, and let them know your experience in the past. The drugs are much better now. They will give you meds for nausea/vomiting before you get to that point to counteract those side effects. GL-if you wind up getting an ERCP from your GI doc, you can PM me. That's what I do as part of my job.

MoJo
10-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks again, everyone.

I saw the GI doctor for the first time today. He said he doesn't normally say it's gall bladder. . . except when it's gall bladder. (I think others do, which is why I wanted to see him.) He's 90% sure it's gall bladder. He said if it was an ulcer, the combo of stopping the ibuprofen I had been taking all summer + my new med would probably be helping more. And if it is gall bladder, then it requires surgery. He said my symptoms + the timing (attacks starting in the third trimester or first few months post partum) are classic for gall bladder.

So, he's going to do an endoscopy. That will rule out ulcer for sure. But he said go ahead and set up the surgery, because he's pretty sure I'm going to need it.

For the endoscopy, they will use conscious sedation, so I shouldn't have any issues with vomiting or breastfeeding, but I'm not allowed to drive that day.

I'm waiting to hear from the surgeon's office he recommended, and of course I'll know a lot more after meeting with him.

For now, I'm thankful that it looks like I have a few weeks to try to get Ha to drink from a bottle &/or eat cereal. Best case scenario, I'll miss a feeding or two for surgery, and it sounds like I should be prepared to miss several. Right now, Ha simply doesn't eat (even though I pump) when I work one evening per week. And my first attempt in feeding rice cereal mixed with lots of breastmilk this past weekend didn't result in any cereal swallowed.

MissyAg94
10-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Sorry you'll need surgery. My attacks started immediately postpartum. I had the BFing predicament, too. I decided to wait until I weaned my DD to have the surgery but I was only able to do that because my attacks eased up for several months.

I hope you can get Ha to take a bottle and that your surgery and recovery go well.