PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get the in laws at all......

AnnieW625
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Not really a bitch, just trying to get a few things off my chest.

Okay if you have been following my posts for the past couple of years I don't see eye to eye with my in laws. Did for about the first two years DH and I were together, but then it took a nasty unexplained turn, and got even worse when BIL's attention hogging wife entered the picture and became the "perfect" DIL. (My FIL and I actually get along okay, but my MIL is kind of another story).

We are baptizing DD2 next month and I sent out an email telling them about local hotels, and that the baptism was going to be at 1 pm on the Saturday. I go to my baptism class that night and find out that instead of 1 pm the baptism is going to be at 11:30. So I email the family the next day and tell them I got the wrong information. So DH talks to his parents yesterday and while I don't think it was implied MIL mentions that BIL never got the email (it was sent; I never delete sent mail) and that they aren't going to be at the baptism, just the party because their plane gets in at 11 am. Now I just feel totally bad that they are spending $$$ and are only going to be able to be at our place for cold cut sandwiches, and cake (not sure if that's what we are having, but YKWIM, it won't be their Yuppie sushi trays or designer cupcakes). DH says it's their money and I shouldn't worry, but because of the sketchy past I have with BIL's wife I am just worried it will show it's ugly head sometime. BIL+wife just had their first baby too so I can see why they don't want to do an earlier flight, but still I don't want them telling us "oh but we spent all this money, and missed the whole reason for going".

Also the ILs/BIL are staying an hour plus away from us in San Bernardino (MIL's home town) and will bring DH's grandma, which is great, but honestly it makes me feel like they don't even want to be close to our family. MIL hates the fact that we only have one bathroom; dh has told her in the past he could rent her a porta potty. I feel bad for my DDs who rarely get to see their grandparents. They did invite us over to Mimi's Cafe (which FIL will pay for) the next morning, but I know for sure I am not going to want to wake up earlier than 8 am, shower, bathe the girls, and put 100 miles on my car just for breakfast. Ugh.

Thanks for reading, I do really appreciate it.

citymama
09-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Hope you can focus on your baby's big day without being bogged down by all the family drama! Hugs.

arivecchi
09-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Ugh. In-law drama is the worst. You are not alone!

Melanie
09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry. Could you offer to pay the fees to have their flight changed to earlier - as a show of good will? Since it was "your fault?" Now I realize it wasn't REALLY your fault, but it might feel that way to them and would be a nice gesture. If they choose not to for their own personal reasons, well then it's on them.

Also, how about suggesting a Mimi's halfway between Middle of Nowhere and where you live? ;) Oh sorry, my feelings of SB and IL trips are shining through. LOL.

maestramommy
09-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Yikes! San Bernadino is really far from you guys! I agree with pp, any way at all you could meet halfway? 100 miles is a LOT to drive, esp. if your girls are have a long day the day before.