PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my 3 yo to eat veggies?

arivecchi
09-13-2010, 12:56 PM
He basically likes sweet potatoes and corn. That is it. I need help getting him to eat more veggies. Any ideas?

lovebebes
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Would having him "help" you cook them help? I find that if I let little dd "cut" the broccoli before steaming that she is much more into eating it.

What about buying those extra long funny looking green beans? My kids seem to find them amusing and we tell little dd that they are magic and will make her grow very tall.

Also have you tried those tiny sweet berry looking tomatoes? Maybe in yellow?

mommylamb
09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't know, but if you figure it out, please let me know. The only vegetable my child will consistently eat is fresh artichoke (he's an odd 3 year old!):D. Or at least, that's the only veggie he eats for me. At school he eats other veggies, so I'm not too worried about him refusing to eat at home for me.

elektra
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
We are in the same boat and even DS is getting to be pickier with the veggies. :(
The only way I can get her to eat them is if they are mixed up in some kind of sauce or casserole- like a lasagna.
I know this is horrible but I often don't even put them on the side on her plate anymore because she doesn't touch them anyway, and just complains. It's a total waste of my time and a waste of food. I know I need to keep trying but I just don't have it in me on a daily basis.
We do go out to eat kind of a lot though, and I alway try and get a veggie side there, and I give her tons of praise if she at least tries a bite of a veggie.

lovebebes
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM
We are in the same boat and even DS is getting to be pickier with the veggies. :(
The only way I can get her to eat them is if they are mixed up in some kind of sauce or casserole- like a lasagna.
I know this is horrible but I often don't even put them on the side on her plate anymore because she doesn't touch them anyway, and just complains. It's a total waste of my time and a waste of food. I know I need to keep trying but I just don't have it in me on a daily basis.
We do go out to eat kind of a lot though, and I alway try and get a veggie side there, and I give her tons of praise if she at least tries a bite of a veggie.

Id love if my kids ate something like lasagna. But they only want to eat things that are not a mix of several things. lol.

WatchingThemGrow
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Having a CSA box has really helped us. Although, only the 4yo eats stuff. the 2yo is very spotty..the 1yo - it depends...

beets - she'll eat them b/c they turn her teeth pink, corn on the cob - only with those pamp. chef knobs, celery w/PB, tomatoes by the handful - sun gold ones were huge hit, cucumber/tomato salad w/italian dressing splashed around it, okra - in a rice dish called "limping susan" like hoppin' john, green beans- one night in an asian sauce,
It's hard!!! Actually, my problem is that she won't eat meat, lol.

wendibird22
09-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Dip somewhat works for us. We give her hummus or ranch to dip veggies in. Sometimes grated parm works (she calls it shaky cheese). I also find that raw works better than cooked. DD1 will eat raw beens from our garden but won't touch them cooked. Same thing with broccoli. And she'll eat raw matchstick carrots by the truck load. Cooking them in casseroles doesn't work for us. She'll pick "the yuckies" out of anything. She also like edamame, chick peas, and corn on the cob. I keep trying more "unique" veggies.