PDA

View Full Version : How do you see yourself (looks wise)?

BabyBearsMom
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
DH and I were having an interesting conversation last night. We were discussing a friend of mine who we both think is a very pretty girl, but she views herself as average to below average. DH was wondering how women view themselves, so I offered to do an unscientific BBB poll.

ETA - For the record, I would consider myself attractive and am regularly complimented on my appearance. DH says I qualify as v. attractive, but he may be trying to score brownie points.

elektra
09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I think I am definitely above average, but I honestly didn't feel like "attractive" was the best selection in the poll for me either, although it's what I picked.
I mean, I am not turning heads, especially in my daily work from home get up.
I do think I have a decent physique for my age and my face is not ugly though. I think it's very hard to tell though- I honestly have no idea if I am not giving myself enough credit or giving myself too much credit!

lhafer
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
I am the "other". I feel like I am attractive. But I am overweight - so currently I feel very unattractive. I think once I loose this weight I will put myself back in the attractive category. When I was younger, I definitely could turn heads. I think I could again if I would focus on getting back in shape!!

LarsMal
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
There are days I think I look pretty good and days I want to cover every mirror! I'd like to think I'm attractive, but I don't know!

Laurel
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
DH and I were having an interesting conversation last night. We were discussing a friend of mine who we both think is a very pretty girl, but she views herself as average to below average. DH was wondering how women view themselves, so I offered to do an unscientific BBB poll.

I voted "attractive", but that is based on what others have told me my entire life and the level of attention I get for my appearance. Like your friend, I usually don't feel very attractive.

1964pandora
09-13-2010, 05:02 PM
I voted "attractive" but I think that is just wishful thinking. I am probably average and going down. I think our opinions of our level of attractiveness might also be affected by where we live. I'm comparing myself to other people living in the DC area, but if I lived in LA or NYC I'm sure I would feel butt ugly.

Corie
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm comparing myself to other people living in the DC area, but if I lived in LA or NYC I'm sure I would feel butt ugly.

So true!!!

In Dallas, I was the dog's hind end.

In Rhode Island, I was the Prom Queen. :) I LOVED Rhode Island!

lizzywednesday
09-13-2010, 05:10 PM
I consider myself average, but I'll admit to cleaning up real nice!

LarsMal
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
I think our opinions of our level of attractiveness might also be affected by where we live. I'm comparing myself to other people living in the DC area, but if I lived in LA or NYC I'm sure I would feel butt ugly.

This is so true!!

lil_acorn
09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I voted attractive, but always feel better when I've actually done my hair and at least have a little blush and lipstick on.

Tondi G
09-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I consider myself average, but I'll admit to cleaning up real nice!

Yeah... this is along the lines of what I was thinking. :)

DebbieJ
09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I voted average. If I were to lose a good 50+ pounds, I would choose attractive. If I actually did my hair and put makeup on, I'd choose very attractive.

TwinFoxes
09-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I voted "attractive" but I think that is just wishful thinking. I am probably average and going down. I think our opinions of our level of attractiveness might also be affected by where we live. I'm comparing myself to other people living in the DC area, but if I lived in LA or NYC I'm sure I would feel butt ugly.

I get what you're saying. But I actually think my look was considered more attractive in LA. Here (in the suburbs) I think a more traditional look is considered attractive. I think I'm a little too, well, I don't know what! :)

ETA: I chose attractive, even though I haven't lost the twin belly!

american_mama
09-13-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't exactly see myself as "unattractive" but perhaps a bit under "average." I've been at my current weight for a few years, but it's about 10 pounds over what would look good and be fairly easy to maintain (30 pounds less is what I weighed in college, but I am not going to say my looks depend on me being the weight I was at 20 years old). I have a big nose, heavy eyebrows, and my face is a bit asymmetrical especially when I smile. I have great hair, but have never been good at styling it. My style of makeup and clothes is non-existent.

On the upside, my breasts have gotten bigger with children and look awesome in my new Victoria's Secret bras. I'm naturally curvy in a good way even with the extra weight, and I have great contrast in my face... dark hair, nice skin, red lips, green eyes. I like my coloring a lot. I look healthy and vibrant. But I'm not that pretty.

daisymommy
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I used to model pre-kids, while living in southern California.
Now after 3 babies, and no time to really take care of myself much anymore, I feel I am "average." I feel like you can see the pretty girl hiding under the mommy look though :)

Dcclerk
09-13-2010, 06:30 PM
I live in the land of the beautiful people. In fact, the land of the MOST beautiful people. I have friends who are a perfect size 2 after having 3 or 4 kids, and most people look like they could be models. I honestly STRIVE for average here, and often don't achieve it. But, my husband thinks I'm cute, my kids love me, and it gives me impetus to work on my personality ;). Sometimes I make myself feel better by reassuring myself that I would look better if I lived elsewhere....

AnnieW625
09-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I voted for average, but my husband married me, and dated me for almost 6 yrs. before that so he must think I am attractive. I try to stay in shape as best I can since I work full time and have two kids, but somewhere in between high school and college I realized that I was okay with never being the size 2-4knockout, but prior to that I always thought there was something wrong with just being ordinary and average.

ilfaith
09-13-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't think I am one of those "naturally beautiful girls" but I think I look pretty good for my age, and can pull it all together when I need to. Maybe a 7 out of 10...8 1/2 on a good day.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-13-2010, 07:34 PM
i'd say a 3 or 4 out of 10. after having ds (and not losing babyweight) and being a sahm, i don't have time to do my hair, or do my makeup, or wear nice coordinating outfits, which IMO makes a big difference in one's looks. on top of that, i don't have nice skin. i've never been complimented on my looks except for when i was pregnant in 3rd trimester. supposedly i am a "cute" pregnant lady because i get the "glow", my skin clears up and i don't get swelling/weight gain anywhere else so i look like i swallowed a basketball . but that's about the only time.

So true!!!

In Dallas, I was the dog's hind end.

In Rhode Island, I was the Prom Queen. :) I LOVED Rhode Island!

:ROTFLMAO: lol, so funny i feel the same way. i'm a in a distant suburb of Dallas and everytime i go into Dallas proper to go shopping, i feel like the ugliest duckling. it seems like all the women i see are super tall, have very light blonde hair that is totally done up and looked like it took 3 hours to style, wears heels and looks like they're wearing thousands in jewelry, clothing etc. it's so funny bc when i lived in LA and spent tons of time in Beverly Hills, i didn't get the same vibe *at all*. people seemed a lot more casual, plus the population seemed more diverse in many ways.

boogiemomz
09-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I voted "attractive," but only slightly above average. And that's only my face... I like my face well enough, but it's taken me a LONG time to come to terms with my body. I'm not overweight, but have a very long torso/short legs and I'm a pear shape... thin and flat on top with an ample booty and thick legs. I think I have learned to accept my shape, and I do manage to feel pretty sometimes.

ha98ed14
09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
i feel the same way. i'm a in a distant suburb of Dallas and everytime i go into Dallas proper to go shopping, i feel like the ugliest duckling. it seems like all the women i see are super tall, have very light blonde hair that is totally done up and looked like it took 3 hours to style, wears heels and looks like they're wearing thousands in jewelry, clothing etc. it's so funny bc when i lived in LA and spent tons of time in Beverly Hills, i didn't get the same vibe *at all*. people seemed a lot more casual, plus the population seemed more diverse in many ways.

What you are describing is not attractiveness, but style. Physical beauty (which is what I am assuming OP means by "attractive") has much to do with ratios and proportions of body measurements, placements, and cultural beliefs about what is attractive. Clothes, hair, jewelry and shoes are all style. I only point that out to you because even ugly people can have style. I think that the difference you are noting between Beverly Hills and Dallas is the difference between Old Money and Nouveau Riche.

BillK
09-13-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm too sexy for myself and my wife is MILF of the decade! :-p

niccig
09-13-2010, 08:11 PM
I live in the land of the beautiful people. In fact, the land of the MOST beautiful people. I have friends who are a perfect size 2 after having 3 or 4 kids, and most people look like they could be models. I honestly STRIVE for average here, and often don't achieve it. But, my husband thinks I'm cute, my kids love me, and it gives me impetus to work on my personality ;). Sometimes I make myself feel better by reassuring myself that I would look better if I lived elsewhere....

I'm in that same beautiful land. Many people work in the entertainment industry and you can't look old. I don't even try - I wasn't hip in my 20's let alone now in late 30's.

I'm Ok with how I look - I need to lose weight, and I could be more stylishly dressed, but I've found my zone of comfort with a little style. I also owe my hairdresser a million thanks for giving me a haircut that is easy to maintain and looks good - helps me feel better when no makeup in jeans, flip flops and a t-shirt for school pick up.

lmwbasye
09-13-2010, 08:18 PM
i'd say a 3 or 4 out of 10. after having ds (and not losing babyweight) and being a sahm, i don't have time to do my hair, or do my makeup, or wear nice coordinating outfits, which IMO makes a big difference in one's looks.

This...exactly!

DrSally
09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I'd say average or maybe slightly above average. I agree it depends on where you live, too. I was asked to be a model at age 16 by Aveda (didn't agree to do it, so not for me), but that was 20 years ago!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-13-2010, 09:28 PM
What you are describing is not attractiveness, but style. Physical beauty (which is what I am assuming OP means by "attractive") has much to do with ratios and proportions of body measurements, placements, and cultural beliefs about what is attractive. Clothes, hair, jewelry and shoes are all style. I only point that out to you because even ugly people can have style.

yeah, i guess so, but IMO it's so hard to rate pure attractiveness without paying attention to those things. and it's not only style, but also one's demeanor too (whether one smiles a lot vs. someone who always looks depressed or stressed)...i think thatalso plays a big role in what makes someone attractive or not. i always think of that movie Big Fat Greek wedding, where in the beginning the main character is very unattractive and wears frumpy clothing, looks down all the time, doesn't really look people in the eye,etc. then she becomes all pretty bc she puts in contacts, wears makeup, does her hair, plus becomes all cheerful and everything. if u compare before and after, it's like a totally different person. also i'm reminded of those unflattering paparazzi shots of celebrities w/o their makeup on..some of those look downright scary!

but yeah, if we go with cultural beliefs/body proportions on what is attractive, based on the current era and where i live, then i would say definitely not attractive. i'm not a size 2, i dont' have nice feminine figure *at all* (i have broad shoulders and a big tummy), nor do i have feminine features. i would have to say though, that luckily my DS somehow came out looking absolutely gorgeous (i often get comments from random people on how beautiful he looks!). :)

I think that the difference you are noting between Beverly Hills and Dallas is the difference between Old Money and Nouveau Riche.

good point, i have to agree. i do think there are a lot more people with old money and established well-known families here.

maestramommy
09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I used to think I was attractive. Not a looker, but better than average, y'know? Nowadays I wouldn't say I'm UNattractive, but not really where I was. Just rather dull. :p

arivecchi
09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Well, my self-confidence was higher pre-kids when I was in awesome shape and had tons of time to do my hair, makeup, get dressed, etc. If I lost 10-15 pounds, I would maybe be brave enough to vote very attractive. :ROTFLMAO: I think my looks are more exotic than anything else - which is fine by DH. :)

sewarsh
09-13-2010, 10:15 PM

i would've thought the contrary, but 90% of the girls think they are average-very attractive. I think thats amazing that most of us have good self-esteem. Seems so many girls I know have self esteem issues and its very sad.

boltfam
09-13-2010, 11:26 PM
If I actually did my hair and put makeup on, I'd choose very attractive.

:yeahthat: I consider myself to be pretty average. I've been told I have "natural beauty", which is a good thing because I don't wear make-up and I dress pretty plain. I notice that when I don't have my DC with me, I can turn heads, though.

gatorsmom
09-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I voted average. Before kids, I weighed 30 lbs less and was told I had a great shaped body. After kids the 30 pounds ALL WENT TO MY BUTT. And now I have a few more grey hairs to dye. It's really hard to keep up with. So I'm average now but I am confident I'll be attractive once again. Someday.

Octobermommy
09-13-2010, 11:58 PM
I voted average. I really need to lose 30 pounds but I have great hair that hasn't greyed yet ( it is coming soon though!) and nice lips. My friend just told me I don't very many wrinkles which is nice to hear.

kijip
09-14-2010, 12:15 AM
I aim to see myself though my husband's eyes, because he thinks I am gorgeous. I usually land on average to attractive in my own head. I have a very classically pretty face, but I am losing weight and the extra weight really impacted me.

Fairy
09-14-2010, 12:35 AM
My headshot looks really good. Very attractive. But I have a very good photog. IRL, I'm pretty eh. Hey, it is what it is.

Corie
09-14-2010, 08:27 AM
After kids the 30 pounds ALL WENT TO MY BUTT.

I have the exact same BUTT problem!! I carry all my weight in my butt.

It makes buying pants a whole lot of fun.

Melaine
09-14-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm fairly content with my attractiveness potential. Content with my current appearance? Not particularly. But not discontent enough to actually do stuff like put on makeup and exercise, both of which would help.

At least we could all be super models with the right professional help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiYeOR9WPxE