PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sell their random gold pieces at a place that buys gold?

ha98ed14
09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
A woman on my street had a "party" but I didn't go. Now I am wondering what I would have gotten for my random bits? Anyone sold anything? If yes, how did you know if you were getting a fair price?

clc053103
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
I sold mine at a party a few years ago- I didn't have that much, but made about $300.

Babymakes3
09-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I take mine to my jeweler, I know he'll be fair. We vacationed together as families when I was younger and I worked for them for a summer. Between my pieces both silver and gold and the pieces we get out of repo's and impounds I have made almost $1000 so far.

salsah
09-13-2010, 11:45 PM
don't mean to hijack but dh and i were just talking about this the other day and debating whether or not diamonds hold their value and appreciate like gold or not. with gold, you should get more than you paid for the piece because the price of gold has gone up. i assumed that the same would be true for diamonds, but dh disagrees. anyone know?

liz
09-14-2010, 07:26 AM
I recently sold some pieces at a jeweler. I wanted some work done on my wedding rings. They quoted me one price if I wanted cash and a higher price if I took store credit. A friend from work had just sold some of her stuff recently (at a different jeweler) and was told the same thing. I was happy to take the store credit, which paid for the work on my rings.

I had a few gold necklaces, chains (all horribly twisted or broken) and my high school ring. The jewelry store is the same local jeweler where DH and I bought our wedding rings.

liz
09-14-2010, 09:46 AM
how did you know if you were getting a fair price?

I don't really know if I got a fair price, but I felt fine with the amount I got. I purposely went to a jeweler I was familiar with. I guess it is like a consignment store, I was just happy to get rid of some things and make some money off of it.

fivi2
09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Anyone know what to do with old gold rings that have a stone in them? Like opals or similar, not diamonds? Is it better to try to sell the whole ring or sell the gold (and do what with the stone?)

luckytwenty
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
I went to three different jewelers and sold to the one who gave me the best price.