PDA

View Full Version : Twin bed/ crib/ toddler bed 2.5 year old?

reissgirl
09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
DS broke his femur a few weeks ago so we put his crib mattress on the floor for sleeping. The crib does convert to a toddler bed, but DS2 is due around New Year's so I'd end up having to move DS1 into a new bed at the same time as handing over the crib to DS2. I figure it would be easier to move him into a new bed a few months before DS2 comes along.

So, now I'm looking for a twin bed. I'm so totally confused. We have a really nice crib and matching dresser but the twin bed from that set is prohibitively expensive. I also don't know if and when the two boys will share a room (DS1 is a VERY light sleeper and I have no idea what sleep habits DS2 will have). I imagine they will eventually share a room with bunk beds but that's farther down the road. So do I make an effort to match the twin bed finish to the crib finish (espresso) or do I just buy something really inexpensive (think IKEA) that's a totally different color? I just don't know if all of the furniture will end up together in the same room at some point.

Alternatively, I could convert DS1's crib to a toddler bed so there would be minimal transition now. Then I can get an inexpensive crib from IKEA for DS2. Then, if and when they will share a room, I can worry more about making sure their furniture matches. DS1 is 2.5 so i think he'll fit into a toddler bed for a while longer.

If I decide to go with a twin bed, do you think it's imperative that it have a headboard and footboard? I bought a bedbug foam bumper for the side of the bed but I am concerned about him sliding up the head or foot of the bed. Right now he likes to squish right up to the slats, with his head touching.

This should be a really simple decision, but I just can't figure out the details. I usually like to think about things on both a micro and macro level, but I just don't have enough information to think 5 years down the road. It seems like such a waste of money to buy something of compromised quality, but maybe that's what I have to do until there's a more long-term sleeping situation?

Thanks for reading this whole rambling post! I'm totally open to ideas.