PDA

View Full Version : tell me about cub scouts

jess_g
09-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Sign ups are tomorrow and I am thinking of signing my boys up. One would start in the 5th grade group and one in the 1st grade group.

This is an activity that has been recemended at school for the 5th grader. He likes beeing outdoors but I am not sure how he would handle doing projects and earing badges. I am wondering what your experience has been with scouts and if you think that 5th grade would be too old to start the program. Obviously the other kids would have a lot of badges and experience and he could never catch up, but I still think he would enjoy going to meetings and going on hikes and such.

Also any ideas on how hard it would be to have 2 boys of differnet ages in scouts at the same time? I will ask at sign up when the meetings are. Hopefully they are either all together at one place and one time or they are totaly seperate on different days.

And finaly, Where do you buy the uniforms?

thanks, J.

GonnaBeNana
09-14-2010, 11:46 AM
The 5th grader would be a second year Webelo Scout. He would "bridge" to Boy Scouts in the spring (usually). Webelos is a 2 year program so he may not finish all the activities, but he'd still have a great time and be able to advance just fine. Webelos is a great introduction to the Boy Scout program. Our Webelos den met weekly, but it depends on what the pack sets up.

Your 1st grader would be in the Tiger Cub program and it is designed as a parent/child program where the kids and parent do activities together with the group. They usually meet twice a month although it does vary.

As for uniforms, there's usually a Scout shop in your area (if you live in a larger city), or the Council location has uniforms as well. If not, you can order directly from the Boy Scouts at www.scoutstuff.org.

Beth

kerridean
09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I do not know if this matters to you...but Boy Scout of America has an agenda of discrimination. Homosexuals are not allowed to join or be involved in any way in the organization. In addition, all members MUST declare a religious affiliation to join. Therefore, they discriminate against gays and atheist/agnostics. I will not allow my children to be involved in such an organization. I know this does not matter to many...but it does to me.

http://www.bsa-discrimination.org/

GonnaBeNana
09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
While it is true that that the BSA does not condone the homosexual lifestyle, it is NOT true that members MUST declare a religious affiliation. BSA's line on religion is this: BSA feels that members cannot reach their full potential without belief in a higher power. They do NOT in anyway define what that higher power is, nor do they require that members do either. A belief in some higher power is the requirement. Avowed atheists are excluded because of this belief. Nowhere on any form are there questions regarding one's specific religion, and although there are awards that can be earned by participation in religious training/events, it is not a requirement for advancement at any level.

The only units that are "religious specific" are those chartered by the Church of Jesus Christ, Latter Day Saints; otherwise known as the Mormons. We had a Mormon pack on our base overseas and they did not exclude non-Mormons. They just adhered to a few different age requirements and held their church services separate on camp outs, etc. I have been extensively involved with BSA since 1994 and these stipulations have never changed.

There is always controversy involved in any organization. Since the BSA is a private organization, they do have the right to set their membership standards, just as Girl Scouts, churches, private schools, clubs and other organizations.

The BSA is an outstanding organization that does a great deal to prepare boys for adulthood, while building leadership skills, character, life skills, and integrity.

Keep in mind the Scout Law: A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent.

The Scout Oath is: On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty, to God and my country, and to obey the Scout Law. To help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

These are guidelines that all of us could follow and make the world a better place.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2010, 02:30 PM
While it is true that that the BSA does not condone the homosexual lifestyle, it is NOT true that members MUST declare a religious affiliation. BSA's line on religion is this: BSA feels that members cannot reach their full potential without belief in a higher power. They do NOT in anyway define what that higher power is, nor do they require that members do either. A belief in some higher power is the requirement. Avowed atheists are excluded because of this belief. Nowhere on any form are there questions regarding one's specific religion, and although there are awards that can be earned by participation in religious training/events, it is not a requirement for advancement at any level.

I had really been on the fence about the whole Cub Scout thing and now I am really leaning against it. Such a shame too. Why can't there be a boy equivalent of the Girl Scouts that isn't religiously based or have an official stance on homosexuality? We are non church goers and a questionable belief in a higher power. But, I think there are so many wonderful things ds could get out of being in the group. I know it is a private organization and they can set their own policies. I know that if we disagree that we can not join. But, there are no alternatives in my area (Earth scouts...). Such a shame. I have talked to other families in our area that would be part of our den so I had been feeling more comfortable with the idea. Now I am not so sure.

eta- I really agree with the Oath. Why does religion or a belief in a higher power need to factor in? They are great as is! That is what I want but I think they can be independent of the religion. I think that you can raise a great kid and be a great person without the belief just as well with the belief (though I know that this is a touchy subject and likely not to be agreed upon).

Sorry for the highjack, OP!

Beth

rlu
09-14-2010, 02:38 PM
I can't add too much more to Beth's responses except that the Pack will help you obtain uniforms.

I don't agree with BSA's official stance regarding homosexuality but if I kept my son away from everything that might challenge our teachings, his perspective or force him to think for himself or ask me questions, he'd be locked up tight in a bookless, computerless room. We're not going to change the official BSA stance, but being part of BSA is not going to turn my son into a mindless bigot. I have more faith in my son and myself than that.

KrisM
09-14-2010, 03:05 PM
I can't add too much more to Beth's responses except that the Pack will help you obtain uniforms.

I don't agree with BSA's official stance regarding homosexuality but if I kept my son away from everything that might challenge our teachings, his perspective or force him to think for himself or ask me questions, he'd be locked up tight in a bookless, computerless room. We're not going to change the official BSA stance, but being part of BSA is not going to turn my son into a mindless bigot. I have more faith in my son and myself than that.

:yeahthat: We are going to the information night this week, too.

codex57
09-14-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't think 5th grade is too old. Webolos is a different group than the Cub Scouts so he wouldn't feel quite so "dropped into" an established group.

I was never big on earning badges. I was more into the activities. I started somewhat late too (3rd or 4th grade). I think I did one year of Cub Scouts before I was into Webolos. One of the most fun experiences of my life.

Not all packs are religious or whatever. There may have been an initiation oath, but I certainly don't remember any religious leanings beyond that. Other than the Pledge of Allegiance. I know some folks like to raise a big fuss over being forced to say the Pledge.

I think it was on this board, but it may have been another, but one parent said she was atheist (or was it agnostic?) but felt fine with her child taking that initial oath cuz she just deemed his Self (and to do good) to be the higher power as they don't define what that higher power is.

Otherwise, I like rlu's attitude about it. In CA, the packs certainly don't seem to make politics an issue. I suppose there might be the random pack leader who does, but that's typically not the case. It's just some parent (usually) as the pack leader and a bunch of boys doing a bunch of activities. As with any large organization, the ground level really has nothing to do with upper management. Some of you guys make things a lot more nefarious than they need to be. It's almost like blaming the Target cashier for the execs deciding to donate to that one guy.

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2010, 03:19 PM
We're not going to change the official BSA stance, but being part of BSA is not going to turn my son into a mindless bigot. I have more faith in my son and myself than that.

That had been my reasoning that even got me to orientation night last week. Still completely unsure b/c they never talked about religion at the orientation meeting at all nor do I see mention in our Pack's FAQs.

Beth

kerridean
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Good point. I just cannot be comfortable participating in an organization that specifically excludes my brother for being gay. What a slap in the face for a successful, moral, loving person who had so much to offer the organization. If he has a son someday, my brother will never be able to be a scout leader for him.

belovedgandp
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Our alternative to BSA is the Y's Adventure Guides program. Way back in the day it was Indian Princesses.

There are several practical reasons it's a better fit for us (in addition to not having the gay leadership stance of BSA) - multiple ages for siblings to do together decreasing the running around; little lower key on number of events and "requirements;" and purely selfishly it is dads with their kids so it forces DH to be the point person and not me!

niccig
09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
I just cannot be comfortable participating in an organization that specifically excludes my brother for being gay. What a slap in the face for a successful, moral, loving person who had so much to offer the organization. If he has a son someday, my brother will never be able to be a scout leader for him.

:yeahthat: I can deal with the religion aspect as people have their own understanding of higher power. I can't get past the discrimination of gays. It's a shame there isn't a similar organization as DS would love to do the activities/hikes/camps.

Does anyone know this history of the girl guides and when they became inclusive, or have they always been? I was a girl guide and we learned all about Baden-Powell and the scouting movement origins, but I can't remember what was said about inclusion.

Dr C
09-14-2010, 04:06 PM

I, too, think this is an excellent point. I also feel like if an organization like boy scouts is ever going to change their stance on something like homosexuality, it will happen because people who did not agree with that stance became involved and changed the organization from within.

And, do I really think these big issues are going to play much of a role in the activities my son will actually participate in? I doubt it. And there is no question in my mind that Boy Scouts promote lots of excellent values in kids (see oath above).

I still haven't decided whether I'll want to actively encourage DS to do cub scouts in first grade... but we will probably let him if it's something he really wants to do. It does kill me that my gay friends would not be able to be involved... luckily most of them happen to have female children.

So I don't feel too bad for hi-jacking the thread, I'll throw in my $.02 about a fifth grader joining... I joined Girl Scouts in 4th grade and it was great. No issue at all. I do think it would make the transition easier if he either joined with a friend or had some buddies who were already in the troop.

rlu
09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
That had been my reasoning that even got me to orientation night last week. Still completely unsure b/c they never talked about religion at the orientation meeting at all nor do I see mention in our Pack's FAQs.

Beth

Beth, all packs have a sponsoring organization. That may tell you more about the religious leaning of the pack.

I've been to one pack meeting so far, no prayers said. They started with the Pledge of Allegiance and then the Scout Oath and Scout Law (can't remember the order thereof) and then they moved on to playing two cooperation games and singing On Top of Spaghetti and then settled into the "business" part of the meeting where badges/belt loops were awarded, etc. Popcorn sales start soon apparently. And then they had a "scoutmaster minute" where she discussed the way geese fly in a v which helps with drafting to make the flight easier (and related to how people help each other) and then called the meeting. DS loved it and I didn't object to anything.

At the Tiger level you are always with him, nothing happens you don't know about. Webelos are getting more independent, the parents don't go to all the meetings.

ladysoapmaker
09-14-2010, 04:58 PM
both my boys are/were in cub scouts. The oldest is in Boy Scouts. the boys were in two different packs and let me tell you each pack is completely different. DS#1 pack was good but the den leader was absolutely horrible and would keep his book for weeks on end then yell at us because he wasn't getting his stuff done. And she was the one who insisted that we had to declare a religion (which wasn't true) and we should go to the church that the pack was affiliated with. (We quit when DS was in 3rd grade). DS#2's pack is wonderful it's "affiliated" with the base (actually the local veteran's group sponsors them as rules for base affiliation have changed). They are good, give us our book back every week unless they need it and will tell us ahead of time that they need it.

DS#1 is in Boy Scouts and he's loving it and is looking forward to Philmont next year.

Now having said that I ws highly resistant to them joining because of the whole no homosexuals allowed. Then I thought about it, the values they teach are good and you rarely can change things from the outside. So we joined and we are trying to get more involved and help make small changes. And hopefully we'll get that one policy changed in the near future.

Jen

groundhog74
09-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Our alternative to BSA is the Y's Adventure Guides program. Way back in the day it was Indian Princesses.

I totally did Indian Princesses when I was a kid. I had no idea the program was still around.

GonnaBeNana
09-14-2010, 06:25 PM
As I stated before, Scouts are NEVER required to participate in any "religious" ceremony as part of scouting. My son was in a troop for 3 years that was chartered by the Knights of Columbus and the meetings were held at Holy Family Catholic Church. We are Christian, but not Catholic. Our troop NEVER had any type of obligatory prayer, etc. at meetings and did not require membership in the church or even to be Catholic to participate. BSA states that one should practice their faith, whatever and however they choose to practice it. They don't track it, or otherwise see that it's "adhered" to at all. As for their stance on homosexuality, it's not open to interpretation as religion is, although it does continue to cause a huge debate. It's been to the Supreme Court already and BSA won the case. Their stance won't be changed from the outside as others have said.

Having said all that, I think it's a darn shame that parents choose not to allow their son's to participate in an outstanding organization that provides unparalleled experiences and opportunities for boys from 6-21. Let them go, participate WITH them, and then let them make their own decision about continued participation as they get older.

As another poster said, if you tried to keep your kids from participating in activities that didn't 100% agree with your beliefs, etc. they'd live in a bubble or on a deserted island. I guarantee that there are people in your kid's lives that don't share the same views as you on all matters. Do you ask EVERY parent of a child your child wants to play with if they believe in God, are anti- or pro-homosexual, pro-choice or pro-life?

Beth

groundhog74
09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
It's not a question of allowing your kids to participate in something that is different than your beliefs. I'm pretty sure BSA has been known to kick out boys whose families are members of any atheist organizations.

mom2one
09-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Everyone is entitled to think what they want about anything. Many post before mine have made some good valid points ( I need to learn how to post what other people say)

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I grew up in the BSA being a scout executive daughter. My Dad was in scouting for his whole career. We have moved to three different states to work in different councils over the course of thirty something years. No organization is perfect - everyone of them has different beliefs and rules. One of the most of the Important things about scouting is the scout law and following them. Our country would be in better shape if everyone was trustworthy, helpful, friendly, etc.

To raise your son to know those things would only help him to become a better man. Also if DH got involved there would be experiences and memories from scouting that he would remember and probably find useful the rest of his life. I have been to many scouting camps and seen some really cool things.

I am excited and PROUD to say that my ds is starting cub scouts this year. It is a journey that I am honored to share with him.

GonnaBeNana
09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Everyone is entitled to think what they want about anything. Many post before mine have made some good valid points ( I need to learn how to post what other people say)

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I grew up in the BSA being a scout executive daughter. My Dad was in scouting for his whole career. We have moved to three different states to work in different councils over the course of thirty something years. No organization is perfect - everyone of them has different beliefs and rules. One of the most of the Important things about scouting is the scout law and following them. Our country would be in better shape if everyone was trustworthy, helpful, friendly, etc.

To raise your son to know those things would only help him to become a better man. Also if DH got involved there would be experiences and memories from scouting that he would remember and probably find useful the rest of his life. I have been to many scouting camps and seen some really cool things.

I am excited and PROUD to say that my ds is starting cub scouts this year. It is a journey that I am honored to share with him.

:yeahthat:

niccig
09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Having said all that, I think it's a darn shame that parents choose not to allow their son's to participate in an outstanding organization that provides unparalleled experiences and opportunities for boys from 6-21. Let them go, participate WITH them, and then let them make their own decision about continued participation as they get older.

It's my principles, and I can have what ever I want, as you can too. I have great difficulty saying I disagree with the BSA about their discrimination on homosexuals, but DS can still go and participate and support the group. For me, it's being hypocritical to my beliefs, and I just can't get past it. If it doesn't bother someone else, than that's fine too. They get to make their choice for their family.

The BSA can allow whoever they want into the organization, and they're upfront about what they believe. But, I don't join or support groups that have principles that are completely opposed to my own, despite all the great benefits I might get from the group.

And it is a shame, as I agree that scouting gives so much. We have a Y Adventures Guides near us, I'll check into that.

YouAreTheFocus
09-14-2010, 07:11 PM
As far as I have seen, the individual BSA troops are free to make their own decisions in regards to inclusiveness. For example, one of the troops in my area is led by a gay dad. Several have had statements on their websites regarding inclusiveness. I've read postings on local messageboards regarding gay & atheist teens scouting for many years, while enrolled in other clubs that clearly show their views.

Here is one local troop's clear public stance against the national policy, which reads in part:

"Troop 203 is disappointed that at the national level, the Boy Scouts of America have made an issue of sexual orientation. The unfortunate stand, that gay individuals should be excluded from scouting, is intolerant and wrong, and serves to undercut the tremendous good that the scouting otherwise provides. It has cost scouting a loss of community support, it has discouraged many from participating in scouts, and it has encouraged unfortunate misperceptions about the scouting program as a whole. Troop 203 has communicated its views on this issue to the national Boy Scout leadership, and will work within the organization for change."

http://web.mac.com/troop203/iWeb/Troop203/Gay%20Policy.html

Of course, I live in a generally liberal & all-inclusive type of area. But just sayin, if your kid is really interested, it might be a good idea to look into the views of your local troops, as there may be one that is a good fit for your family.

fauve01
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM
It's my principles, and I can have what ever I want, as you can too. I have great difficulty saying I disagree with the BSA about their discrimination on homosexuals, but DS can still go and participate and support the group. For me, it's being hypocritical to my beliefs, and I just can't get past it. If it doesn't bother someone else, than that's fine too. They get to make their choice for their family.

The BSA can allow whoever they want into the organization, and they're upfront about what they believe. But, I don't join or support groups that have principles that are completely opposed to my own, despite all the great benefits I might get from the group.

And it is a shame, as I agree that scouting gives so much.

:yeahthat: 100%.

GonnaBeNana
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM

And it is a shame, as I agree that scouting gives so much. We have a Y Adventures Guides near us, I'll check into that.

You are correct. I don't join organizations whose principles oppose my own either. I just encourage everyone to go and check out their local pack or troop and see for themselves if it's something they want to participate in. My best friend was in Y Guides (Indian Princesses) when she was a kid and loved it. I was a Brownie for awhile and absolutely hated it! I was too much of a tomboy to do all the "girly" stuff they did. They didn't camp or do other outdoor activities, so I lost interest quickly. The troops my daughters belonged to did much more outdoor things and it was a much better experience for them overall.

Beth

arivecchi
09-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Good point. I just cannot be comfortable participating in an organization that specifically excludes my brother for being gay. What a slap in the face for a successful, moral, loving person who had so much to offer the organization. If he has a son someday, my brother will never be able to be a scout leader for him.:yeahthat: I would never support an organization that openly discriminates against others. My boys can do many other worthwhile activities that do not involve this organization. I am also uncomfortable with the religious overtones, so it is a double-whammy for me.

Fairy
09-15-2010, 12:23 AM
I get what folks are saying about giving the BSA a chance. I really do; my DH loved scouts for years and hopes DS will be in it. But we do have serious problems with their "official" stance on believing in God and on being gay. That said, I dunno what we're gonna do, it's not high on our agenda, and it doesn't keep us up at night. However, guys, really, this is just one more example of where your level of comfort is in participating with an entity that deviates from your moral compass. It is unrealistic to say, "hey, go to a meeting and check them out" if the organization in question deviates from your moral principles. It doesn't matter if they're the best rated group of all time, if it differs with how someone feels about them, it won't matter. And I don't fault people for that. do I think it's shortsighted to discriminate against a group of people? Yes. That I think is wrong. But if someone did or did not support the organization by showing their utilization of said organization (or lack thereof) because of it, then that I do get. And if that means that folks won't go check out a BCA meeting, then ... who cares?!

AnnieW625
09-15-2010, 12:45 AM
My brother (who is now 30) joined Cub Scouts in the 3rd grade with some neighbors of ours. He joined a Mormon troop; he was the only boy who wasn't Mormon as we are Catholic. He enjoyed the Pinewood Derby, Scout O Rama, and pretty much all of the other outdoor activities they did. It was nice that he, and my dad could also do something and my dad really enjoyed it because he wasn't a scout growing up. At the monthly meetings there was always a prayer led by one of the scout leaders, but that never bothered us because we were part of a Christian based faith. My brother was in that troop until he was 12 and the neighbors moved away. He initially continued in the troop, but they ended up getting a new Boy Scout leader who made a comment about my brother not being Mormon or something so my brother decided it was time for him to leave the troop. He continued to be friends with many of the kids from his troop through high school and did one final year in the Scouts program through another local troop. Overall I believe it was a positive experience for him and if he has a son in the future I don't think he would have a problem with his son being in Boy Scouts, even though my brother is not practicing any religion at this time.

cestkaren
09-15-2010, 02:21 AM
My husband and his brother are Eagle Scouts. However, both DH and I are questionable as to DS's participation in Boy Scouts (me because of the discrimination of gays and DH because of the religion). When it is time, it will likely time on the troop and those in charge. Although DH knows those running the troop since he was in scouts with them. I wish there was another alternative as good as the boy scouts. If we don't go with the boy scouts, I feel comfortable that DH and I can give DS a similiar code of conduct and moral upbring that the scouts provide.

weech
09-15-2010, 08:25 AM

:yeahthat: I totally agree with you. Half my family are atheists and we have more than one homosexual in the family. I can't even imagine telling them I put my kid in Boy Scouts. Between my own beliefs and supporting the beliefs and lifestyles of my family, there's no way I could do it.

Green_Tea
09-15-2010, 09:01 AM
:yeahthat: I would never support an organization that openly discriminates against others. My boys can do many other worthwhile activities that do not involve this organization. I am also uncomfortable with the religious overtones, so it is a double-whammy for me.

That's where I stand, too. I don't see the exclusion of homosexual individuals or atheists as being any different than if they were excluding African Americans or people with disabilities. It's just plain wrong, and I refuse to support such discrimination on any level.

Gena
09-15-2010, 09:24 AM
DH and I are also on the fence about putting DS in Cub Scouts this year, but for completely different reasons.

DH was a Cub SCout/Boy Scout as a kid and loved it. My Dad and my brother are both Eagle Scouts. DH and I support our local Cub Scout and Boy Scout troops.

I always imagined that we would put DS in Cub Scouts. But we think it might be a little too much for him right now. We try to maintain a balance between activities with typical kids and activities geared towards children with special needs. The activities with typical kids are definately more stressful for him (and us), even when he does enjoy them. He's doing partial mainstreaming at school this year, so he under more stress than last year and we can see it in the evenings.

So we're conflicted. Putting DS in Cub Scouts might give him a chance to get to know some of his typical classmates better (and let them know DS better). But it would be a highly stressful situation for him. The den/pack leaders are open to it, but are not familiar with Autism and would require much more from us as volunteers. We are willing to volunteer, but we also want DS to get better at taking direction from other adults, and he often won't do that if DH or I are there.

I really like that Tiger Cubs is more of a parent/child program and it might be a good way to ease DS into scouting. However, we worry about pushing too many mainstream activities too fast and wonder if it might be better to wait until next year.

mommylamb
09-15-2010, 10:34 AM

:yeahthat: That's how I feel too. I'm sure there are wonderful things about BSA. But I cannot just dismiss what I believe to be policies based on bigotry. In the same way that I would never sign DS up for an organization (and therefore provide funding to an organization) that discriminated against blacks or Jews, I would not put my money into BSA. I really think it's the exact same thing as joining a country club that doesn't allow certain minorities to join (and yes, I realize that homosexuals are not a title VII protected group, but these are my own convictions).

It wouldn't matter anyway I guess, since we don't do the higher power thing in my family.

Now saying that, I absolutely expect and want DS to be exposed to people who believe differently than we do. But, I'm not going to give them my money.

JTsMom
09-15-2010, 01:13 PM
For those looking for an alternative program, here's one option:
http://www.spiralscouts.org/
I know almost nothing about it, but a friend's children belong.

brittone2
09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
There's also Earth Scouts. No local chapter for me but I wish there was one.

http://earthscouts.ning.com/groups

hellokitty
09-15-2010, 01:36 PM

:yeahthat: We live in an area that is VERY religious (fundamental christians). My brothers were in BSA and we were not a religious family and they never felt put on the spot about their religious beliefs, etc.. I LIKE the values that BSA tries to help instill in the boys, no, I do not agree on their stance about homosexuals, and unfortunately b/c we live in such a rural area there are NO other scouting organizations for boys. Yes, I could start a roots and shoots group or something else, but I do not have the time or energy to head up another project when I have already done more than my fair share of being organization heads for non-profits that I've been a part of.

DS1 just had his first tiger cub mtg yesterday. DH went (I had to run my LLL mtg that was at the same exact time on the opposite side of town) and said it was chaotic, so for those from the other cub scout thread, it's not a bad idea that the parents are there. The wolf cubs were there too (2nd graders) and he said that they were all crazy too, so it wasn't just the 1st graders. Anyway, their first badge is that they have to help with a chore around the house. This is fantastic for me, b/c I have been trying to get my boys more motivated to help around the house. So far DS1 seems really into it and I am glad he likes it.

Oh and my DH was never part of BSA, in fact he thinks it is, "lame" (his words, not mine) and I had a good laugh when I grilled him about what happened at the mtg. He mentioned something about, "weevils." I was like, "What, weevils???? Do you mean WEBELOS???" I am sure they will so thrilled that my DH refers to them as weevils. :hysterical:

rlu
09-15-2010, 01:55 PM
OP, since this was hijacked at post #3, did you get your questions answered?

eta: weevils! LOL! We needed a laugh on this thread.

kboyle
09-15-2010, 02:02 PM
i JUST signed Charlie up for cub scouts 2 wks ago (he'll be a wolf cub/2nd grade). i personally don't mind the religious aspect of bsa as long as they don't push it on the kids...our pack meets at a local methodist church, this church also runs a preschool program charlie went to so i'm ok with it. though, the whole anti-gay thing does bother me...we have many gay friends and it appalls me when i find certain groups that have nothing to do with sexual orientation on the anti-homosexuality side. that being said, my boys know our friends and as long as they don't PUSH any of those issues i'm happy to have my son participate in something that helps him to socialize more. we are a HUGE camping family, so the whole "outdoorsy" aspect is no change from what we do every weekend during the summer.

Ceepa
09-15-2010, 02:23 PM
OP, since this was hijacked at post #2, did you get your questions answered?

Did I miss something? OP asked what people's experience was and if her 5th grader would have a hard time starting in Scouts so late and about uniforms. Post #2 addressed those questions, and provided a link.

And if you meant a later post, well, yeah this board tends to breeze right into "oh let me tell you my position on that and why" mode.

rlu
09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Did I miss something? OP asked what people's experience was and if her 5th grader would have a hard time starting in Scouts so late and about uniforms. Post #2 addressed those questions, and provided a link.

ah, I should have said response 2 (post 3)? will correct my original, sorry for the confusion.

o_mom
09-15-2010, 02:25 PM

I think she meant the second reply, not #2.

Ceepa
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
ah, I should have said response 2 (post 3)? will correct my original, sorry for the confusion.

I figured that out. Sorry for getting confused. :waving4: