PDA

View Full Version : What, no thread about The Meat Dress?

TwoBees
09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I think I'm going to be ill. I hope I'm not the only one!

(OT, I know).

lhafer
09-14-2010, 01:38 PM
She just is like that to get attention, and she gets it by people talking about it. And, why would you be ill over it?

TwoBees
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
And, why would you be ill over it?

The sight of it makes me ill...and the thought of what the meat would smell like and attract after being under those hot stage lights.

Meatball Mommie
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
And, why would you be ill over it?

Cuz, it's just gross! Imagine the smell of it!!! It just icks me out to think of the poor people that were around her and had to look at it and smell it!

SoloMelody
made me feel a little sick after I saw the shoes!

lovebebes
sad. sad and stupid.

and i really cant stand her. her and katy perry both.

mommy111
I am totally speechless.

BabyMine
09-14-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5788870/video_ellen_degeneres_suggests_lady_pg2.html?cat=4 6

But Lady Gaga said she was wearing the meat dress partially in an attempt to draw attention to the controversial military policy of "don't ask, don't tell."

She told Ellen Degeneres: "Well, it is certainly no disrespect to anyone that is vegan (http://www.associatedcontent.com/topic/3421/vegan.html) or vegetarian. As you know, I am the most judgment-free human being on the earth. However, it has many interpretations but for me this evening, if we don't stand up for what we believe in and if we don't fight for our rights pretty soon we're going to have as much rights as the meat on our own bones."

elektra
09-14-2010, 01:48 PM
The first thing I thought of was the smell too. Is it really meat or just looks like meat? The steak on her head- yuck!

TwoBees
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5788870/video_ellen_degeneres_suggests_lady_pg2.html?cat=4 6

Well she certainly doesn't believe in feeding the poor!

BabyMine
09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Well she certainly doesn't believe in feeding the poor!

Ok, I'm lost.

TwoBees
09-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Ok, I'm lost.

If she wore the dress to stand up for what she believes in, she doesn't believe in feeding the poor because of all the food that was wasted in the, um, fabric of that dress.

LMPC
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the link, because I had nooooo idea what you guys were talking about! (See what happens when I don't have TV!) Now, I love meat but that's just icky!

BabyMine
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
If she wore the dress to stand up for what she believes in, she doesn't believe in feeding the poor because of all the food that was wasted in the, um, fabric of that dress.

Gotcha. I guess I wouldn't look at it that way. I don't think the people that wear expensive clothes don't believe in feeding the poor just becasue they decided to buy something versus buying food or donating money. Or the people that wear leather or alligator shoes/handbags. It's just another extreme she did. I kept thinking of all the bacteria. Yuck.

boogiemomz
09-14-2010, 02:04 PM
That is absolutely revolting.

wellyes
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Whoa. I saw the dress on Tom & Lorenzo but figured it was "representative" of meat. It's actual meat??

EWWWW.

At the same time, Gaga is an entertainer and this stunt entertained me a little. Hats off for that.

LarsMal
09-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I watched that part of the VMA's while folding laundry in my room. I saw her dress on my smaller/non-HD TV and thought it looked conservative for her. I heard her say she never thought she'd ask Cher to hold her meat purse, but I thought it was some joke I didn't get! I had no idea she was actually wearing meat! EW, gross!

JMS
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
So gross. If she wasn't so overrated she wouldn't have to resort to such tactics.

eta: sorry, I just can't drop this... she is the biggest thing in pop culture right now and the message she's sending our youth is that you have to be outrageous to make you point. yuck from all perspectives :(

Ceepa
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I have to say the other day in the thread about handbags this purse was on a posted link and I thought it looked like a pack of ground beef. It would make a good accessory for Gaga's dress.

http://www.musthavebag.com/Assets/FW2010/4790_oxb.jpg

tmahanes
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Cher had to hug her!! :barf:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/13/lady-gagas-meat-dress-photos_n_714117.html

Corie
09-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Maybe she had a barbecue in the parking lot after her appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres show?

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Maybe she had a barbecue in the parking lot after her appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres show?

Ewwww! The idea of that is even more disgusting than the dress! Could you imagine eating meat that had been out for hours, against someone's body, in heat???

Beth

xmasbabycomin
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
So gross. If she wasn't so overrated she wouldn't have to resort to such tactics.

eta: sorry, I just can't drop this... she is the biggest thing in pop culture right now and the message she's sending our youth is that you have to be outrageous to make you point. yuck from all perspectives :(

Hey, at least she's trying to make a point! It might not be in a way all of us agree upon, but at least she's using celebrity for awareness of an actual issue. It's not just about hair and purses. I kinda think of her as a performance artist, although not one for kids.

I heard about it on my Facebook page when a friend wrote, "DS says Lady Gaga looks tasty!" You can imagine it's important to know how old her son is, and maybe his personality, to interpret that comment. The comment definitely made more sense when I saw her dress.

kijip
09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't get the statement. And I am all for statement and I am all for shredding DADT.

I have heard, 4 or 5 times, Lady Gaga dubbed as the new Michael Jackson. Ok, there is some fun music there and some good talent but NO WAY NO HOW is she anywhere near as talented as MJ. She is hardly a great dancer and her voice is not the strongest. Most of it is her personality and bravado, which can only get her so far. Don't get me wrong, I actually will fess up to owning and listening to The Fame and The Fame Monster. But she is a flash in the pan/ok maybe 5 year period type entertainer. I hope she has a great financial advisor and a propensity for saving her money. ;)

arivecchi
09-14-2010, 04:15 PM
LOL! I love her insanity. The dress is "interesting" but whatever. No one can be more annoying than Kanye in my book.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I am a Vegetarian and it made me wanna:barf::barf::barf:
Nasty. She has some talent, she just tries so hard to be so different.

citymama
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
I am a Vegetarian and it made me wanna:barf::barf::barf:
Nasty. She has some talent, she just tries so hard to be so different.

Ditto. While I am all for doing away with DADT, I can't really see how wearing a dress made of animal furthers that cause. And does anyone else feel like she's trying to pander to the gay community ("this one's for the gays!" - oh brother) in the hopes od becoming a gay icon a la Cher (or Judy Garland)? Nice try, but I think her opportunism is really transparent.

maestramommy
09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
But she is a flash in the pan/ok maybe 5 year period type entertainer. I hope she has a great financial advisor and a propensity for saving her money. ;)

Well I don't know. Look at Madonna. Even less vocal talent when her SECOND album came out (the woman could not sing in tune), and here she is, almost 30 years later, still a sensation, more or less. I'm assuming she got better at singing, but mainly she is a very astute businesswoman. Lady Gaga reminds me of her.

g-mama
09-14-2010, 10:07 PM
I have heard, 4 or 5 times, Lady Gaga dubbed as the new Michael Jackson.

I have not heard that but I've heard she is Madonna for this generation. *That* I totally see.

I don't really care about her persona, but I do love her music.

kijip
09-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I have not heard that but I've heard she is Madonna for this generation. *That* I totally see.

I don't really care about her persona, but I do love her music.

I guess I could see Madonna. I don't know that she has the same business drive that Madonna has. But I'd say next Madonna before next MJ for sure.

lchang25000
09-14-2010, 11:42 PM
LOL! I love her insanity. The dress is "interesting" but whatever. No one can be more annoying than Kanye in my book.

I totally agree with all of the above!

blisstwins
09-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Totally the new Madonna. Madonna has even less vocal talent.
Lady Gaga is from my city and I know a lot of adults who taught her. They all say she is really talented and totally lovely--a hard worker. She comes from a wealthy family, BTW.

strollerqueen
09-15-2010, 02:55 AM
She is really popular in my DD's class--12 year olds! One day DD was watching one of her videos--Papparazzi, I think? and DH nearly had a heart attack. I tried to explain to him that she is the Madonna of their generation, and couldn't be avoided, but still, those videos are pretty risque'.

Kitten007
09-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Every time I think of her dress.....I wonder how the heck you clean everything her and her dress touched. Ewwwww the germs.

I think she is a great artist and interesting person. Glad to see a little thought put into her work, videos, and her "statements" (dresses, etc.). It's nice to see something different than the usual sexy slutty videos (oh Britney, sigh).

TwinFoxes
09-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Ok, the hat is what made me a little queasy!

I like her music a lot. Bad Romance is unusual, but still very listenable. I think she has a nice voice.

I've never heard an MJ comparison, that's just odd to me. I've heard the Madonna comparison a lot, and totally agree. I think she has staying power. She may not be around for 30 years like Madonna, but five years is actually pretty long for a pop act.

Back to the dress, I wonder if it had some sort of coating or shellac on it? Because it looked fresh and she was in it for hours!

klwa
09-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Okay, didn't watch it. Think she's an idiot. But, everything I've seen says that the meat was fake, so no worries about germs. :)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5787616/lady_gagas_meat_dress_needed_a_pot.html?cat=46

gatorsmom
09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
I knew that meat HAD to be fake. I mean if it wasn't it wouldn't even have been hygienic to be sitting in a theater of people with that deteriorating, bacteria- attracting outfit. I think the theater owners would have put a stop to it.

I have never heard her music but I've heard her described as a "true performance artist" which I guess means she is not just wearing these outrageous outfits for publicity but as another form of art.

Frankly, I thnk she is terribly interesting and creative. I mean Madonna wasn't crreative. She got attention by throwing sex in our faces. Whoopty-do. That really takes some creativity, doesn't it? But this lady seems to have some very original ideas. Can't say she blends in!

Corie
09-15-2010, 09:25 AM
We love Lady GaGa here!! We crank up some "Bad Romance" and roll down
our windows and sing as loud as we can! I think she's great!

Even though I would not wear a fake meat dress, I really admire people
who have the balls to do things that different from the mainstream.

strollerqueen
09-15-2010, 11:44 AM

:yeahthat:
BUUUT, would you let your 12 yr old DD watch her videos, even if most of the other kids in her class did?

BabyMine
09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Totally the new Madonna. Madonna has even less vocal talent.
Lady Gaga is from my city and I know a lot of adults who taught her. They all say she is really talented and totally lovely--a hard worker. She comes from a wealthy family, BTW.

She said that she went to school with Paris Hilton but said she was teased all the time. She has written music for tons of artists. She even wrote Telephone for Britney Spears (see below) but she turned it down. I think she is incredible talented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFBDHhDkCg

strollerqueen
09-15-2010, 12:38 PM
She said that she went to school with Paris Hilton but said she was teased all the time. She has written music for tons of artists. She even wrote Telephone for Britney Spears (see below) but she turned it down. I think she is incredible talented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFBDHhDkCg

Teased why?

lchang25000
09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Teased why?

because she did not "fit in" with the other kids (in her words). she described herself as a freak in one interview i saw.

lchang25000
09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I find her incredibly talented and a great performer as well. Not only does she sing, but she's a songwriter for herself and many other people. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her music!!!

Corie
09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
:yeahthat:
BUUUT, would you let your 12 yr old DD watch her videos, even if most of the other kids in her class did?

My 8 year old daughter has seen the Bad Romance video.

Jo..
09-15-2010, 02:45 PM
I would have run up on her with a big hero roll and eaten it.

babychi
09-15-2010, 02:56 PM
OK, the dress was a bit much but I love her! She is so talented and I love that she keeps things entertaining and gets everyone talking. I think she is incredibly smart and business savvy, based on the interviews I've seen with her.

BabyBearsMom
09-15-2010, 04:09 PM

:yeahthat: I love Lady Gaga. I think she is really talented, I love how willingly she uses her celebrity to support the gay community (and for prior poster, she already is an icon in the gay community), and I think she is unique. I don't care that she is over the top, that is part of her style (her performance art, so to speak).