PDA

View Full Version : Help! Handwashing and Hand Foot Mouth

HonoluluMom
09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
DD has hand foot mouth:crying:

DD puts her hands in her mouth all the time. I understand handwashing is one way to prevent HFM. However, when I wash DD's hands, she absolutely hates it. She's too young to rub her hands together so I have to hold her and maneuver her hands under the faucet and soap up her hands and rinse at the same time. DD isn't a happy handwasher.

Any suggestions on how to make it easier to wash her hands?

Any alternatives on how to clean her hands (wipes?, some type of spray?)?

Help! I want to do what I can to prevent her from getting HFM again.

dcmom2b3
09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry. :( HFM can really be hard for LOs (and mamas too). Hope she feels better soon. As for getting it again: since it's viral, hopefully she'll have built up immunity to the strain that caused this bout?

I know that there are valid concerns surrounding the overuse of antibacterial products. BUT . . . I have foaming hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes stationed at each entrance to the house, and carry individual wet ones antibacterial wipes in my purse and in DDs backpack. I'd use those if I thought she'd tolerate those better. Is it the water that she hates in handwashing? Would cute, fun, foamy soap, or a sink full of bubbles distract her?

Also, take care that you don't get it. The virus lives in the digestive tract for a long time. I think your DD is still of diaper-wearing age? Just be reeealy careful.

cestkaren
09-15-2010, 02:40 AM
At that age, I'd just use a wipe to clean her hands...whichever wipe you like to use. My DS has had HFM twice, the second time was milder than the first, but it is never fun. They really just need to build up their immune system. Hand washing will get easier over time (maybe around 18 months when they want to play in the water), we sing a song I made up one time while trying to get DS to wash his hands.

HonoluluMom
09-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I am a hand sanitizer junkie. It's all over my house and I carry it wherever I go. I am concerned about overusing it on DD (primarily due to the alcohol and chemicals), but will consider using it on her when we're out.

I do like the wipes idea. I'm just wondering if wipes can actually kill germs and viruses?

I just need to keep in mind that these things will help DD build her immune system. I just don't like to see her suffer.