PDA

View Full Version : Do your twins have their "own" clothes, even if you dress them alike?

TwinFoxes
09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm just wondering what others do. For us, it's just a big jumble. But I'm starting to wonder if I should give them their "own" clothes. We have two dressers, so it wouldn't actually be that hard, although it wouls be a pain. We dress the girls identically sometimes, coordinating most of the time (same outfit-different colors; or very similar outfits-same colors), and completely differently usually only if DH is doing the dressing :) What do you all do?

SammyeGail
09-14-2010, 03:42 PM
I did alot of matching or very similar clothing (from the same line at Gymbo, jeans and same style of top, etc) at the age your girls are now.

I started picking out particular style graphic tees when their personality differences showed more and more. Especially when I discovered Mini-Boden, lol. My boys have always been so different, I was able to start find things that fit their personalities better.

Then after a while I had to buy separate clothes, (but would get 2 of them on some things ;)) because of their size difference.

My DH would never get the personality clothing, for example the blue shirt with the big yellow stitched lightening bolt goes with our very high spirited son. I would die when he would take them to pre-school, I would pick them up and reg. sized twin would have on a shirt that came down to his lower hips while my super tall twin would be wearing a top too small for him (plus he has a long torso) and look like he was wearing a belly shirt. :bag

I think its up to you and if you start to see some things that fit their individually personalities better, or if you see something that make you think of 'twin A', another things that makes you think of 'twin B', kwim?

Good luck & have fun!

fivi2
09-14-2010, 04:31 PM
We use the big jumble method here :)

There are a *few* items that belong to one twin or the other. They stay in the big jumble but the other sister doesn't usually ask to wear that item. It is mostly a couple fave pair of pjs, a dress, and a couple t-shirts. everything else is mostly interchangeable. When they ask for their own stuff, I will let them have it, they just haven't asked yet!

Momof3Labs
09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Big jumble here. We don't often dress them alike, but sometimes they are coordinating (diff. color HA playdresses, for example). I have a very few items with their first initials, so those obviously belong to one or the other, but that's about it! I'm thankful that they are both the same size within a few ounces of each other.

SammyeGail
09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Big jumble here. We don't often dress them alike, but sometimes they are coordinating (diff. color HA playdresses, for example). I have a very few items with their first initials, so those obviously belong to one or the other, but that's about it! I'm thankful that they are both the same size within a few ounces of each other.

Oh my, if I had girls, I would have gone thru a massive amount of HA playdresses by now, lol!

Yes, be thankful they are so close in size, I hope yours stay that way. At 1 yr N was 50weight/50height, J was 50weight/75height. Even though they were only 2 oz difference at birth, changing their clothes in the NICU we could tell they had different body types.

dowlinal
09-14-2010, 09:15 PM
It's funny, but I've never even thought of separating their clothes. My boys look nothing alike, but are the same size so I generally just buy two of everything and hang them all together.

gatorsmom
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
My twins are boy/girl and so obviously they have their own sets of clothes but they share pjs. It didn't start out that way but Greenbean inherited so many pjs from his brothers that there was easily enough for the both of them. So, Sisi has a couple pairs of pink footy jammies and they just get mixed in with Greenbean's pjs. Sometimes Sisi chooses the truck and dinosaur jammies and sometimes Greenbean goes for the pink hearts. :tongue5:

twowhat?
09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Big jumble here too. I can't even imagine having separate clothes for the girls...oh the fights that would ensue!!!

salsah
09-15-2010, 12:33 AM
what about underwear? i don't have twins, but i have 2 dd's who wear the same size underwear and i was just wondering how others with same sex twins or dc close in age, tell their underwear apart.

TwinFoxes
09-15-2010, 06:59 AM
what about underwear? i don't have twins, but i have 2 dd's who wear the same size underwear and i was just wondering how others with same sex twins or dc close in age, tell their underwear apart.

My girls' "underwear" is disposable, and made by Huggies. :) They are still in dipes. But that's a good point, I never thought of that.

Big jumble here too. I can't even imagine having separate clothes for the girls...oh the fights that would ensue!!!

Occasionally they will decide as I'm dressing them that they want to wear THIS shirt, not THAT shirt, even if the shirts are identical. And of course once one decides on a shirt, the other one has to have THAT shirt. Just because. :rolleye0014: It can also happen with sippy cups and toys (why one Mr. Potatohead is superior over another, I'll never know!) So I was thinking it might prevent arguing over clothes if they had their "own". Of course I realize now I'd have to label all of their clothes which would be kind of a PITA. I think i'll keep it all in a jumble for now.

glbb35
09-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Having girls is probably different than boys. My boys are too young to care but even the older boys don't really care about what they wear. I do buy some matching outfits for fun and for pictures and outings where I want to be able to see them both right away. Otherwise they wear hand-me-downs and right now anything I can find that is clean!

I do try to find outfits where they might be the same pattern but one is in red and the other blue, that type of thing. My boys don't look alike though and I do want them to have their own identities. They will always be the "twins" but they are different kids. So it varies, event to event, day to day.

If I had girls it might be different though. Girls tend to care more about what they wear and there seems to be more competition. Shoot my boys I don't think, would even care if they went out without clothes!

B

DS 03, 06 and twins 09!

caheinz
09-19-2010, 01:15 AM
It's a big jumble, and we're reaching the stage where both want the same thing sometimes... Fortunately, there's enough else to choose from that everyone eventually gets dressed...

AJP
09-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Big jumble here too. We usually do coordinating or alike. So far they're young enough that they don't care who wears what. My struggle now is do I separate the clothing now that we have them in their own rooms. They each have a dresser ( one is larger though) and closet in their room. I can hardly keep up with putting all the laundry away as it is...don't think I'm ready to separate all of it too! And I'm also wondering what will happen when they are potty trained. All of their underpants are the same size...how would I keep track. They will both want to wear Dora for sure...

Melaine
09-20-2010, 01:25 PM
We have mostly joint items. There are a couple of outfits that they picked out themselves (usually just the same in 2 colors) so those go to the specified owner. Beyond that, it's all a big stash. It's occurred to me that I should really let them have their own shoes, but that would require too much labeling and their feet, like nearly everything about them, are visibly identical. Sharing underwear doesn't bother me in the slightest, so that's all in a big basket too.

TwinFoxes
09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
It's occurred to me that I should really let them have their own shoes, but that would require too much labeling and their feet, like nearly everything about them, are visibly identical.

I have to let them have their own shoes, because oddly, S has feet a full size bigger than D! Just all of a sudden, hers grew, but D's stayed dainty.

Melaine
09-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I have to let them have their own shoes, because oddly, S has feet a full size bigger than D! Just all of a sudden, hers grew, but D's stayed dainty.

You know, I've noticed when browsing twin lots on ebay that a lot of times the clothing is all the same size but the shoes are one off. Interesting.

fivi2
09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
My girls share shoes and undies also. Except a couple pairs of shoes when they have picked out different styles.

dowlinal
09-20-2010, 09:06 PM
You know, I've noticed when browsing twin lots on ebay that a lot of times the clothing is all the same size but the shoes are one off. Interesting.

My boys are the same sized clothing, but A's feet are 1 size bigger.

caheinz
09-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Hmmm. Same shoe sizes here. But, different shoes (same style, different colors). And they do NOT wear one another's shoes. (They're adamant about that!)