PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about kayaks? Cheaper ones

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I am planning gifts for dh and was thinking about kayaks. LL Bean has one for $450 then ones $1000+. What features do I need for a kayak that would be used on lakes and rivers? Do I need to buy a more expensive one to get a good one or can good ones be had for the lower end?

TIA!
Beth

cilantromapuche
09-14-2010, 03:42 PM
we are kayakers and a cheaper one if fine. What you are really paying for is lightness and material. So if you are going to do portaging (carrying your canoe through land) and racing then you want as light as possible.
I would go to a store and ask lots of questions, they can also recommend good spots for you to start your kayaking adventure!

crl
09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Rental places often sell their canoes and kayaks at the end of the season (right about now) rather than store them over the winter.

Catherine

brittone2
09-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Great gift!

Dh and I "test drove" (test paddled?) ours at a local lake that hosted a demo day. We have Old Towns but they also had Daggers at the demo. Bought them probably 8+ years ago and haven't gotten to use them as much as we'd like with the kiddos. DS1 is currently saving for his own :) We used them a ton pre-kids though. GOod times and looking forward to getting back to it.

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks, everyone!! I'll call one of the rental places- great tip!

Beth

hbridge
09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
We did A LOT of research before we bought our boats and ended up getting Santee's. They are MUCH lighter than most of the others we tried and the handle like a dream. Of course at the time we needed a big cockpit so I could paddle with DC in the boat with me. DC sat on a mat on the cockpit floor in front of me while I paddled That worked great until we needed a tandem because DC grew. She's not ready for her own, but loves to play in mine when we are at the lake. They are a lot more $ than some of the others, but are great for me being able to carry them down to the water alone and for tracking even in high winds.

Have fun, it's a great sport.

kdeunc
09-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Rental places often sell their canoes and kayaks at the end of the season (right about now) rather than store them over the winter.

Catherine

:yeahthat: We have 2 Old Townes. One was from a rental place and the other was off of Craigslist. Much better prices for us since these were our first kayaks.

WatchingThemGrow
09-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I bought an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two from a rental place for several hundred dollars off like 12 years ago. Then I moved and left it with a friend in 2001. I bought the same model on CL for $600 in 2004 and we use it very occasionally with one DC in the middle spot - on the ocean when it is calm. We love that thing, but don't get to use it as often as we'd like.

KpbS
09-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Here is what my DH would say, who is an avid whitewater kayaker:

1. Don't buy a kayak that is new.

2. Don't buy a kayak for another person.

There is so much variety in terms of the type of use (lakes, streams, real whitewater, ocean), talent, kayaker size (this includes weight and leg length) and performance of the boats.

My DH would LOVE the idea of me getting him in a kayak, but it would be a shot in the dark if I actually picked it out. He would advise that you give your husband a card that says "you can get the kayak that you want."

Two cents from my DH.

SnuggleBuggles
09-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Here is what my DH would say, who is an avid whitewater kayaker:

1. Don't buy a kayak that is new.

2. Don't buy a kayak for another person.

There is so much variety in terms of the type of use (lakes, streams, real whitewater, ocean), talent, kayaker size (this includes weight and leg length) and performance of the boats.

My DH would LOVE the idea of me getting him in a kayak, but it would be a shot in the dark if I actually picked it out. He would advise that you give your husband a card that says "you can get the kayak that you want."

Two cents from my DH.

Not a bad thought as I am stumped on exactly what to get. :)