PDA

View Full Version : Can a DVT, or more specifically -- a pulmonary embolism -- resolve on its own?

jenniferholmes
09-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I am 4 months pregnant with twins. I recently took a cross-country flight and wore compression hose to help prevent swelling. After the flight, however, my right leg / ankle were quite swollen (but not red or hot or painful to the touch). The swelling went down but the leg remained achy for a few days.

On 2 occasions during those initial few days after the flight, I had a sudden onset of lightheadedness, shortness of breath, racing heart, and a terrified feeling that something was very wrong. But the symptoms passed within about 5 minutes.

I am wondering if these were related to the leg swelling and if it was possible that I had a DVT that traveled to my lungs, but was not big enough to cause any *major* problem? Is it possible for such a thing to resolve on its own? Or if it really was a DVT / PE, is it lying dormant but can break off and cause a problem in the future?

elektra
09-14-2010, 06:10 PM
My DH got a DVT after a long flight, and it can "lay dormant" like you are describing, based on my understanding of what happened with DH. I would get it checked out.

swissair81
09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
DVTs don't usually resolve on their own. They can be dormant, but unfortunately can never be benign. It takes a very short time for a clot to travel to the heart or brain with devastating results. I would call your OB asap.

WolfpackMom
09-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Get yourself to a doctor, atleast get checked out. The light headedness etc. may just be from being pregnant, but better to be safe!

ThreeofUs
09-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Go directly to your doctor, do not pass go. ;)

Seriously, you should get this checked out.

bnme
09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I would get it checked out. Tests should reveal if was a clotting issue (I THINK, my dad had a pulmonary embolism). It is most likely just nothing, but worth checking on.

kms00
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
I think you need to call your doctor. I had a PE scare during my 3rd pregnancy. I was short of breath and had a fast heart beat. They had me go to ER and did a VQ scan of the lungs and dopplers of the veins in the legs. I was also running a temp on and off. All the tests came back negative and they said it was just viral. I did spend a few days in the hospital until things were resolved though.

bcafe
09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Actually, if your Dr. orders a test, push for the CT scan with PE protocol. It is less radiation than a VQ scan. Trust me.

Indianamom2
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't say this to scare you, but you need to be checked out. Your symptoms point to a clot and you have risk factors for one. If you have any signs of a blood clot, you NEED to be checked. You are fortunate if you recognize the symptoms and can get help...

My aunt died two years ago, very suddenly, from a pulmonary embolism. She was a nurse and had all the warning signs, but the doctors (yes, plural) missed the symptoms. Please don't be afraid to get yourself checked out and tell the doctor what, precisely, you are concerned about. Better safe than sorry.