PDA

View Full Version : Help - DD poked me in the eye

sunshine873
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
This afternoon, DD accidentally poked her fingers in my eye. It hurt immediately, lots of eye-watering, etc. I kept it closed for about 10 minutes & then checked it out in the mirror. It was really sore, but not red or anything. I've been waiting for 5 hours now for the pain to go away, and it almost seems to be getting worse. It now is watering a lot again...but still not red at all.

Has anyone had this happen before? Any advice? I can still see through it, but I really expected it to feel better by now & I'm starting to get concerned.

trales
09-14-2010, 08:14 PM
She probably scratched your cornea. It will be painful every time you open your eye for a day or so and then most heal on their own. You can help it heal by keeping it lubricated with drops. If it does not clear up in a day or 2, go to the eye doctor to have them look for the scratch, they can give you prescription drops to treat it.

I have a rarer underlying condition that makes it hard for corneal scratches to heal, so I needed to wear a bandage contact for 6 months. But for 99% of people they heal themselves in 1-2 days.

It is really painful though.

brittone2
09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree w/ the scratched cornea being a possibility. I scratched mine once and it was unbelievably painful. My eye doc ended up RXing antibiotic eyedrops and I had to use a warm compress just to get my eye open in the morning (all of the crusty buildup from the tears/discharge accumulated overnight).
I hope it heals up for you soon.

sunshine873
09-14-2010, 08:34 PM
It sounds like it may be a scratched cornea. I'll give it a few days & see if it improves on it's own. Hopefully that's the case! :) Thanks!

wendibird22
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
DD1 scratched my cornea. Went to the eye doc who confirmed it. Was sore for a solid day and better a day or two later.

ThreeofUs
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
If no blood and you can see, but it just hurts, keep it closed as much as possible (I know, easier said than done!) and see how it feels in a couple days. Scratches like this take a while and they hurt like heck.

connor_mommy
09-15-2010, 12:22 AM
DS#1 did it to DH and he had to go to the ER because the pain was really bad. They couldn't do much for him except to numb his eye and give him antibiotic drops. The next day we went to an opthamalogist. He had a scratch that was 4mm x 3mm. He was given a different antibiotic drop plus a bunch of moisturizing and steroid drops. My DH couldn't open his eye or drive. He was very sensitive to light. Luckily I had trimmed my DS's nails the night before or the scratch could have been worse. It did take him a few weeks to heal. He was going to the opthamalogist almost daily for the first week and a half. I've never seen DH in that much pain before.

So, depending on how you feel, you may want to go in have it looked at tonight or be seen first thing in the morning by an opthamalogist. I hope you feel better soon!

Oh, and for the first two days he had to wear a patch that was similar to a soft contact to keep his cornea from scratching the inside of eyelid.

brittone2
09-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Ah yes, mine was sensitive to light too.

OP, I hope you are feeling a little relief this morning. That's a pretty painful injury...tough to just go about your day with your eye hurting! :hug:

sunshine873
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
It's a little better this morning, it kind of goes in phases. Sometimes OK, sometimes it gets really irritated. Unfortunately, DH is not around right now, so it's either I go out & drive (with DD) to the Dr or I just try to hole up and take it easy. I'm going for the later right now, driving just doesn't seem like a good idea. I'm planning on staying home today with the blinds closed. When DD naps, I'll try to do the same just to give the eye some down-time.

hopeful_mama
09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I haven't had one anywhere near as painful as that, but there's one thing I haven't seen mentioned: when I went in for one they gave me a tetanus shot as it had been too long since my last one. So if you're not up on your tetanus, this may be something to consider...

I hope it improves quickly!