PDA

View Full Version : Is this harsh??

Wife_and_mommy
09-14-2010, 11:21 PM
I found a desk/chair I want on CL. I talked with seller today and she's so wishywashy--had *so* many offers, mine isn't enough but she'll relist next week at a lower price and/or call me if she'll accept mine.

I'm quite frustrated with her but don't want to be rude. Would this email make you bristle and say "I'm not selling to her"?

"We talked today but I don’t think I asked your name. JI talked with my husband today and he’d like to purchase the desk and chair. Can you tell me what price you’d be satisfied to sell it for? I’m assuming you have a price in mind and haven’t been offered it. I’d prefer to know if I’m wasting both of our time."

What do you think??

TIA :)

DrSally
09-14-2010, 11:23 PM
I'd actually just offer the price that *you'd* be willing to pay and go with her answer.

infomama
09-14-2010, 11:25 PM
I'd actually just offer the price that *you'd* be willing to pay and go with her answer.
:yeahthat:

Wife_and_mommy
09-14-2010, 11:30 PM
She clearly states "make offers" but doesn't seem to want to sell it. I'm nervous she'll know how much I want it and refuse to sell it to me unless I pay her full price. I don't want to pay that much!

DrSally
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
That's weird. I've never posted anything and said "make offers" or highest bidder, basically. I could see setting a price and then OBO, but to drag it out waiting for more offers is rude IMO. Even if I've listed something below market accidentally and gotten a ton of replies, I still sell it to the first person who contacted me/can show up.

lhafer
09-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I found a desk/chair I want on CL. I talked with seller today and she's so wishywashy--had *so* many offers, mine isn't enough but she'll relist next week at a lower price and/or call me if she'll accept mine.

I'm quite frustrated with her but don't want to be rude. Would this email make you bristle and say "I'm not selling to her"?

"We talked today but I don’t think I asked your name. JI talked with my husband today and he’d like to purchase the desk and chair. Can you tell me what price you’d be satisfied to sell it for? I’m assuming you have a price in mind and haven’t been offered it. I’d prefer to know if I’m wasting both of our time."

What do you think??

TIA :)

I would not be offended by this email (as a frequent CL seller and buyer). I think I would change the bolded sentence to read "Can you tell me what price you are willing to sell it for?" Something about the "satisfied to sell it" seems weird to me.

FWIW, I don't like wishy washy people (especially sellers) on CL. So annoying. If I have a wishy washy buyer - no problem. I delete your emails and move on to the next person. But wishy washy sellers is a different story! Good luck, and I hope you get it!

kijip
09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
People need to just price things. Seriously. You can always list with an OBO and expect down offers but leaving people in the dark about your price is just plain ridiculous. I am sorry you have had to deal with her!

Wife_and_mommy
09-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah, the "highest bidder" nonsense is highly annoying.

I'll make that slight change and shoot it off. I suppose there will always be another desk. I just really want this one. :)

Thanks, ladies.