PDA

View Full Version : PBK Anywhere Chair vs. other similiar chairs

happymom
09-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I am thinking of buying DD her own armchair for her 2nd birthday. I think she would LOVE it. I see the PBK Anywhere Chair is very popular around here. Is there any particular reason why it's better than other brands? Or is it just that people like PBK? (I do not own anything from there) Any specifics to look for when comparing chairs? (Removable/washable slipcover comes to mind)

TIA!

mommy111
09-15-2010, 02:01 AM
We have the anywhere chair and love it. Removable slipcover, no hard parts, extremely durable (lasted over 2 kids, ex-H loved to sleep on it and I've been known to sit on it occasionally). The only negative is that if your kids like to climb on the back of the chair and do gymnastics, the chair may tip over. My kids have now made a game of this. We got ours off ebay for a modest discount.

infomama
09-15-2010, 02:04 AM
I really like our PB anywhere chair but be sure to secure the velcro when you are washing it. I didn't do that a few times and now it's all funky/ripped meaning the insert (usually the arm rests) shifts all over the place.

TwinFoxes
09-15-2010, 07:04 AM
I looked at a couple of other arm chairs, but the Anywhere chair seemed the sturdiest. Plus they have really great customer service. The zipper pull broke off one of the chair covers, and I called CS. They shipped one out super fast. They asked me to box up the other one, and UPS came and got it. I think I called on a Saturday, and had the new cover by Thursday (and it's personalized).

Totally agree re: chair gymnastics. But I think any chair is a potential gymnastics accessory.

FYI, my DDS got theres for the 2nd birthday too. :) It's a good size, they fit fine, but plenty of room to grow.

tiapam
09-15-2010, 09:40 AM
We have a My First Anywhere Chair that is 4 or 5 years old and still in good shape. So we have definitely got our money's worth out of it. We have a regular size one that is holding up great too. The removable slipcover is essential, DC do make a mess on them. Wherever you get it from, a chair is a great idea for 2nd bday!

PMJ
09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi!

I was just looking into this myself. I was a bit confused, but here is the info I got -- in case you were/are confused too :)

They have a "My First Chair" - for about 89 (only toddlers 1-3)

Regular sized chair - (3-6 yrs)

Over-sized (for 6 and older)

What bites is their shipping charges... :( And for all the chairs, there is an additional $10 shipping for the Insert. I'm not quite sure what that is still. For the regular sized chair - which is $120 - shipping is about $27.00.

HTH!

twowhat?
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
We have 2 of the Nod chairs from Land of Nod (chosen based on price, and because the Nod chair is bigger than the regular PBK Anywhere chair). We've been very happy with them.

YouAreTheFocus
09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi!

I was just looking into this myself. I was a bit confused, but here is the info I got -- in case you were/are confused too :)

They have a "My First Chair" - for about 89 (only toddlers 1-3)

Regular sized chair - (3-6 yrs)

Over-sized (for 6 and older)

What bites is their shipping charges... :( And for all the chairs, there is an additional $10 shipping for the Insert. I'm not quite sure what that is still. For the regular sized chair - which is $120 - shipping is about $27.00.

HTH!

Thanks for posting this, somehow I had only seen the regular & oversized ones and missed the baby-sized one. Thinking about getting it as a 1st bday gift as well.

Are these avilable in store, to avoid the (ridiculous) shipping charges?

TwinFoxes
09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for posting this, somehow I had only seen the regular & oversized ones and missed the baby-sized one. Thinking about getting it as a 1st bday gift as well.

Are these avilable in store, to avoid the (ridiculous) shipping charges?

They're available in stores. You can't get them personalized though (obviously). You could buy the chair in store, and order a personalized cover. The shipping shouldn't be too bad on a cover.

I think the junior sized ones are kind of a rip off. You'll just end up replacing it in two years with a regular sized one. I think a one year old could sit perfectly fine on a regular sized Anywhere chair.

drako
09-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I got the my first anywhere chair for my daughter's first birthday. It is cute but it does tip very easy. We always have to have it leaning on something. Now that she has better muscle control and walking better she tips it and makes a game out of it. It was more worrisome when she was closer to that 12 month mark where she would sit back and it would tip right over. Now at 19 months she thinks it's fun to tip it and fall forward.

Kindra178
09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
My favorite chair is the genre is the Garnet Hill one. It's bigger and overstuffed looking. It's way more sturdy than the the PBK one and the LON one. My boys also partake in the crazy gymnastics and the Garnet Hill one is a formidable opponent. Also, I googled and found a 20% coupon code. Great quality!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
i have a My First anywhere chair that i got with a PBK giftcard given to me by friends as a shower gift when i was pg with DS. i was able to purchase in-store so i didn't have to deal with shipping charges. anyway, i LOVE it. it says ages 1-3 but my DS liked being in it when he was 2 months old. also, my 5-year-old nephew could sit in it just fine. i liked the smaller size since it was small enough to fit in DS's nursery and plus it's easier to take from room to room. and yeah it does tip, but for my DS that's a lot of the fun of it. :)

hopeful_mama
09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
What a timely thread! We were just looking at the Anywhere and My First Anywhere chairs yesterday, I'm thinking of getting one as a first birthday or Christmas present.

The saleswoman recommended the regular one, said that they outgrow the My First one too quickly, in her opinion. She had me swayed, until I got home and looked them up online. I don't like the colors of the regular ones as well; also, the bigger chair won't fit in our space as well. So I'm leaning towards the My First chair.

also, my 5-year-old nephew could sit in it just fine.

This is very helpful info, thank you! I had thought older kids could fit into it well, but wasn't sure as DD is my first. Since she's skinny, I'm hoping she won't outgrow it too quickly.

Also thanks to the PPs for mentioning the Garnet Hill and Land of Nod chairs - I wasn't familiar with them. I personally don't like the look of them as much but appreciated having some more options to choose from!

hopeful_mama
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Oops - wrong forum.

LarsMal
09-16-2010, 02:27 PM
My kids each have their own Anywhere Chair. DS got one as a gift when he was born and we used it take his monthly picture for the first year and still have him sit in it for a picture on his birthday. We decided to keep that tradition going and got each of the girls one when they were born.

We love them. The kids keep them in their rooms, but if they want to take it somewhere else they can easily drag it to another room (or flip it over and climb it :irked:).

I like that the cover comes off. I've had to wash them a few times. It's very easy to clean. Remembering how to put it back together can take me a minute, but it's fine!

Drag0nflygirl
09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I cheaped out and got one from Company Store. They don't make it anymore, and DD loves it - but the cover is way too gross! If I could do it over again I'd get the PB chair.

MommyofAmaya
09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
My vote, as always, goes to the Cubino chair. Totally cute, washable cover, not tippy and plenty of room for my 4yo to grow. Both kids love it.

http://www.montedesign.net/kidschair.html#

YouAreTheFocus
09-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Seeing the Cubino reminded me of the P'kolino Little Reader. The desciption says it is feather light & supremely stable. All for 69.99! Anyone have experience with it?

http://www.pkolino.com/Little-Reader-Orange-p/pkfflr00or00.htm

hopeful_mama
09-26-2010, 06:58 PM
For anyone still thinking about an Anywhere Chair, they have a new fabric option, shearling (polyester). I looked at it in the store, and it seems really cozy, and looks a lot nicer than the picture online.

At my store, they had both the Anywhere and the My First Anywhere chair available with it, so for people who wanted to avoid shipping charges you could likely just get it at the store. The shearling fabric is more expensive than the basic ones though. Oh and online it doesn't look like they have the extra shipping charge that they do for all the other fabrics - I suspect this is an oversight that ends up getting corrected at some point.

Just wanted to pass that along in case anyone was still interested!

charmcitymom
09-26-2010, 09:41 PM
We have 2 of the Nod chairs from Land of Nod (chosen based on price, and because the Nod chair is bigger than the regular PBK Anywhere chair). We've been very happy with them.

I'm really considering this chair but I read that the cover needs to be dry cleaned. Have you found this to be true? It seems like a major drawback in the long run.

Thanks!

twowhat?
09-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm really considering this chair but I read that the cover needs to be dry cleaned. Have you found this to be true? It seems like a major drawback in the long run.

Thanks!

I've been machine-washing AND drying it :bag: It comes out fine. It shrinks a bit in the dryer, but I don't mind because once you get all the foam stuffed back into it, it's just fine. You could also machine wash and line dry.

charmcitymom
09-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been machine-washing AND drying it :bag: It comes out fine. It shrinks a bit in the dryer, but I don't mind because once you get all the foam stuffed back into it, it's just fine. You could also machine wash and line dry.

Thanks! That's helpful. Who really dry cleans everything they're supposed to anyway? I'll probably wash and hang to dry - just to hedge my bets.