PDA

View Full Version : Baseball woes. Help me help DS.

jse107
09-15-2010, 10:10 AM
A little background. DS (who just turned 6 in Aug.) played t-ball last spring. We didn't have a great coach and DS got frustrated with the situation. To be honest, DH and I were frustrated too. We wanted DS to get some instruction and for it to be a good learning experience. So, a the end of the season, the "T-ball Commissioner" had an afternoon where kids could try machine pitch baseball and decide if they wanted to keep playing t-ball or go up to machine pitch. DS did well and decided he wanted to move up to machine pitch. All the parents were told that the fall league would be more laid back that the spring. So, I assumed this meant fewer games and more relaxed (not that we were stressed out with t-ball). Scores are not kept in this machine pitch league. We signed him up for the fall league and I requested that he have an experienced coach. Fast forward to now...

The fall league has more games than we had for t-ball. We now have games 2-3 times per week, plus one independent practice, plus showing up an hour before each game to practice.

We've got an experienced coach. He runs a real practice with the kids practicing various drills. (Disclosure: DH was the captain of his highschool baseball team and played baseball the whole time he was growing up. In addition, his dad has a field named after him at the Little League complex in our hometown. Yes, I've asked DH to coach, however he doesn't want too.) However, the coach is very intense and runs things as though the kids are 10 year-olds. The kids range from 5-7 years old. DS is one of the smaller kids on the team and one of the younger kids. He's pretty good for his age, but compared to his teammates and the coach's expectations his age shows.

The first game was last Sat. There are 14 kids on the team so not everyone could play at once. No big deal, I thought. DS cried the first 3 innings because he didn't get to play. DH and I empathized and then told him to get a grip and be ready for his turn. (DS is a VERY sensitive kid with Sensory Modualation Dysfuction and has a hard time keeping his feelings in check.) At any rate, DS went in for the last three innings and had two hits. All was well.

Our 2nd game was last night. We were there an hour early for practice before the game. The youngest kids are already spent from a long day, and now we need to focus and practice! DS hangs in there, but when it's time for the game, he's sitting the bench again. He sits for three innings, coach finally puts him in, he bats once, and then coach ends the game due to darkness. DS batted once, most of the rest of the team batted 3-4 times. Game ends, DS is in tears again. I'm sure DS's crying annoys the coach, but he's 6. The coach's son never even talks--even DH said he seems afraid of his dad.

Of course, the coach's son played 2nd base for the whole game and batted 4 times.

The coach is running the games as though it's being scored and it really matters. The best players play the first 3-4 innings and then the other 3-4 kids sub in. Am I wrong or unrealistic to be frustrated with this situation? DS is a decent player, but young, small and sensitive. I didn't really expect this type of coaching for a few more years! I'm still trying to convince DH to coach in the spring.

I'm mad about this! http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-mad.gif (http://www.smiley-faces.org) If i had known this is the way it was going to be, we would have signed up for instructional soccer for the fall and waited until the spring for baseball where there would have been more teams and coaches.

Advice? BTDT? Help! Cause this is what I'd like to do...
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry011.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

TwinFoxes
09-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't have any advice, but I do think your complaints are pretty common. I'm not sure having your DH coach would necessarily help, because all the parents of the "good" players would complain that your son is getting to play a lot because he's the coaches son. My brother was involved in LL for years, and there was always drama. :(

jse107
09-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks. Why does there have to be such competitiveness at such a young age?!?! Shouldn't they all just be learning the rules?!

I guess I'm just going to have to just take a deep breath about this. I just hope DS doesn't get turned off to sports!

HIU8
09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Where did your DS play T-ball? My DS has shown an interest in baseball/t-ball and has started practicing to hit on his own in the evenings. I wanted to try and find him something really really low key (he is also a SPD kid who isn't the most athletic). Right now he is doing little kickers soccer and ice skating. Soccer ends in November. We were going to start Karate when soccer ended (DS's choice). However, now he is asking about baseball (he needs to learn the rules and how to run the bases etc... ).

JBaxter
09-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Its common. Good players play more. We had an issue with a coach playing his son more than anyone else ( we do soccer) and you can complain it wont do much good because volunteer coaches are hard to get. Not every one subscribes to the play everyone and dont worry about winning some coaches play to win - even when they are not "supposed" to keep score. We are not supposed to keep score in soccer at this age but I can tell you that my son will tell you which games they "won" and the score of every game.

I'll suggest to you what my husband did... Volunteer to coach next season.

Not trying to be mean but your son needs to understand he may not get to play till the 3rd or 4th inning or in our case 2nd quarter. Crying wont get him in sooner and in fact may truly annoy the coach and portray himself as more of a immature child. Im sorry if that sounds mean but welcome to kids sports.

jse107
09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Where did your DS play T-ball?

We play UMAC--it's north on Clopper, out in Boyds. It's a pretty good instructional league for t-ball and in the spring there are more kids playing--which means more ability levels! City of Rockville and City of Gaithersburg also have leagues.

Are you doing Little Kickers up in Germantown? That's where we did it last fall and I wish I had signed up there again this fall. Do they have an indoor winter league?

Not trying to be mean but your son needs to understand he may not get to play till the 3rd or 4th inning or in our case 2nd quarter. Crying wont get him in sooner and in fact may truly annoy the coach and portray himself as more of a immature child. Im sorry if that sounds mean but welcome to kids sports.

I realize that crying won't get him in sooner, trust me. However, teaching this to an emotionally sensitive 6 year-old is harder than one might think. OTOH, I don't want DS to get so upset that he doesn't want to play a sport he really enjoys. Listen, if this hadn't been billed as a more "low-key" season for kids to "try" machine-pitch, I wouldn't be so annoyed.

elektra
09-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Ugh, the drama! Be careful what you wish for with your DH as the coach!
You will have parents complaining that their kid is not getting enough playing time on both ends of the spectrum. The parents of the kids who are not as skilled will complain because they are not getting enough chance to learn. And then the parents of the kids who are really good might complain because their kid should get more time to play and should not be penalized for being good.

I do see your point about them being so little though- it's like why not just rotate all the players at this age (as in a new batch of kids start each game vs. always the same bunch) to make sure they all get a chance. Seriously, there is going to be NO DIFFERENCE in terms of "team cohesion" among the starters, or batting order strategy, or anything like that. It really does not factor in at age 6!
And 2-3 games a week seems like a whole lot.
I would still try to hang in there though- there have only been 2 games and the coach may also be getting a feel for the best way to handle all the players getting enough of a chance. Maybe he wasn't aware that he needed to factor in the possibility of a game getting cut short. I do think that rotating who gets to start would be a good way to combat that.
And you know the competitive thing is only going to get worse- the coaches are going to get more and more competitive and around the 12 year old age, I think it's especially difficult because its when you have a mix of the very serious kids who are starting to get into the club teams with the "just want to participate and have fun" group.
Good luck. I hope your DS ends up having fun.

jse107
09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I do see your point about them being so little though- it's like why not just rotate all the players at this age (as in a new batch of kids start each game vs. always the same bunch) to make sure they all get a chance. Seriously, there is going to be NO DIFFERENCE in terms of "team cohesion" among the starters, or batting order strategy, or anything like that. It really does not factor in at age 6!

EXACTLY!

Thanks for your post. I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I know that team sports are going to bring drama, however I feel like it's a turn-off at such an early age. Of course the older kids are better--they're more mature and bigger!

HIU8
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I sent you a PM.

egoldber
09-15-2010, 02:05 PM
This is one reason I do not do team sports with my older DD. They are not a good experience for her and do more to make her feel bad than to feel good. I seek out other athletic opportunities that are more individual and are less competitive.

If your DH was at that level in baseball, and he does not think he would be a good LL coach, I think that is good self insight on his part and I would not try to persuade him otherwise.

chottumommy
09-15-2010, 02:39 PM
No advice, but hearing these stories of kids leagues makes me wish very very fervently that DS does not show any inclination towards team sports. I am quite athletic and so is DH but we both hate team sports drama and are both at a loss of how to deal with such situations.

We both don't watch sports on TV, so hopefully DS don't get into sports anytime soon.

elektra
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
No advice, but hearing these stories of kids leagues makes me wish very very fervently that DS does not show any inclination towards team sports. I am quite athletic and so is DH but we both hate team sports drama and are both at a loss of how to deal with such situations.

We both don't watch sports on TV, so hopefully DS don't get into sports anytime soon.

I am so not looking forward to team sport drama either. But team sports can be so rewarding too.
I personally feel my life was enriched in so many ways by team sports!
Again, they are not for everyone, but I myself actually hope my DC get into team sports, despite the annoying draw backs.

chottumommy
09-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I am so not looking forward to team sport drama either. But team sports can be so rewarding too.
I personally feel my life was enriched in so many ways by team sports!
Again, they are not for everyone, but I myself actually hope my DC get into team sports, despite the annoying draw backs.

I know and feel bad that I can't deal with these situations. DH actually plays soccer every week but he started playing team sports not before he was 13 in an organized way (quite common in India) and that helped him get emotionally ready for team sports.

I was part of a different kind of team sports - running for which we had a team in school but no drama since it was also a lot of individual effort and the coach did not have as much say in how things were done.

But we both agree that watching sports is not for us. It sucks up too much time and since both of us WOHM we rarely have time to spare. We are out and about kind of people.