PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Paperwork

niccig
09-15-2010, 03:12 PM
When I was asked to be moderator of the Clean Sweep Forum, I laughed out loud as I surveyed the mess in my house. I like to be organized, I like the feeling of being able to find things easily, I have been organized in the past, but I procrastinate and I'm lazy ;) Hence, the mess I live in.

In the recent thread about when do you have time to organize, the main response was breaking it down into small projects and do a little at a time. KrisM and I thought we could have some Challenges to help motivate us to get things done.

Our first Clean Sweep Challenge is Paperwork. Now, you don't have to clean out every piece of paper in your house, it can be a small project that gets you one step closer to being more organized. Eg. organize the kids' school paperwork, file one stack of papers, shred some paperwork, clean out the shopping coupons.

Survey your pile of paperwork, decide what will be your project and if you can find the camera and cable to connect to the computer, post before and after photos. I can not make any promises on my photos, as I really don't know where the cable is - maybe it's under the stack of paperwork?? :innocent: Post back to edit your original post as you make progress.

Instructions for posting pics on the BBB are here http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128062 I also resized mine in Photobucket to be a small image, so it didn't take up so much room on the page. I think all the photo sharing sites let you do this.

Deadline is Wednesday 22nd Septemeber.

missym
09-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok, I'm definitely in this one. We are buried in papers... unopened mail, bills, newsletters, school work, kids' artwork, DH's project lists/plans, recipes... :dizzy:

lkarp
09-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Count me in. I usually end up moving piles of paper from place to place and then it all ends up on my bedroom floor when company comes over. Paper is definitely my biggest challenge.

niccig
09-15-2010, 03:40 PM
My DH is out of town for the next few days. I've got my evenings to get things done, so I am going to be ambitious. My paperwork system has fallen apart and I have not filed ONE thing all year. The system is all set up, I have just not done it.

1. File all the paperwork in the desktop file into the expanding file and hanging files that are all set up in the filing cabinet. This is what 8 months of paperwork looks like.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/103_0364.jpg

2. Sort through/deal with the 4 boxes of paperwork that has been in my tiny closet for over a year. One tub is medical/health information, one is computer software/manuals, 1 is DS's artwork that needs to go in the portfolio I'll buy tomorrow, and 1 is misceallaneous filing things like hanging files, folders that can be store with other office supplies. I have no idea what to do with the health/medical paperwork, does anyone have any advice?
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/closettubs.jpg

3. Sort through all the notes from archaeology classes and volunteer work - 2 shelves in Chinese Armoir and one shelf in garage cabinet - Yes I have class notes spread out throughout the house, and I haven't taken a class in 2 years. This is just one shelf, I have 2 others that look like this. I think I'll just sort through and what I'm keeping will go in a file box to be stored in the garage. Much of it can be tossed though.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/103_0366.jpg

And I was able to find the camera AND the cable, as the camera has an integrated USB. I never knew that. Maybe if I had read the manual. Mmm, where's the manual? I know, it's in the desktop file and never got put away with all the other manuals :6:

citymama
09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Sign me up. I'm going to start with filing medical bills and receipts. How long do we have in total? Deadlines are always good!

Beckylove
09-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Yuck-- the trouble with paper is that it keeps coming in.

Thanks for the challenge. I will get it taken care of this week!

Beth24
09-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Does writing thank you notes for baby gifts count???

niccig
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Does writing thank you notes for baby gifts count???

Yes. It's a pile of papers that needs to be dealt with.

crl
09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Count me in. I'm going to take a baby step and see if I can tame the pile of paper on my kitchen counter.

Taking some advice in my earlier thread on paperwork and combining it with advice I saw in the Lounge once, I am going to buy a small hanging file holder and put it where the pile is. I'm planning to go to the office supply store on Friday to get the stuff.

Catherine

crl
09-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Reporting in with progress! I went to OfficeMax today and bought a hanging file holder and some tabs, already had the hanging files. I created labels for these categories: Bills to Pay, File, Receipts, Invitations and Events, Menus, Checks and Coupons, and Misc.

I sorted through all the papers on the kitchen counter. Recycled a bunch. And put the rest in the new files.

My plan is to leave this in the corner of the counter where my pile was. Then to pay the bills once per week and file paid bills and anything in the "File" folder. Also to go through the other folders at that time and recycle things as appropriate.

I am still trying to get the blasted sticker off the file holder, but once that is done I will put the files in and I will have successfully completed the baby step I set out as my goal for this challenge.

Next paperwork challenge for me is cleaning out the main file cabinet. I must do that soon or the new system I created for the counter won't work because I won't have any place to file things for long term retention.

Thank you for creating this challenge. When I lost interest in my little project half way through, I was motivated to finish so I could report success here. :)

Catherine

niccig
09-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Reporting in with progress! I went to OfficeMax today and bought a hanging file holder and some tabs, already had the hanging files. I created labels for these categories: Bills to Pay, File, Receipts, Invitations and Events, Menus, Checks and Coupons, and Misc.

I sorted through all the papers on the kitchen counter. Recycled a bunch. And put the rest in the new files.

My plan is to leave this in the corner of the counter where my pile was. Then to pay the bills once per week and file paid bills and anything in the "File" folder. Also to go through the other folders at that time and recycle things as appropriate.

I am still trying to get the blasted sticker off the file holder, but once that is done I will put the files in and I will have successfully completed the baby step I set out as my goal for this challenge.

Next paperwork challenge for me is cleaning out the main file cabinet. I must do that soon or the new system I created for the counter won't work because I won't have any place to file things for long term retention.

Thank you for creating this challenge. When I lost interest in my little project half way through, I was motivated to finish so I could report success here. :)

Catherine

Well done. :bighand: Doesn't it feel good

I need to sort through my desktop file on a regular basis, weekly is a good idea - my first photo of all my paperwork is my desktop file stuffed to overflowing. I did not clean it out for over a year. I'm going to try again to do that on a weekly basis now that it's all empty - and I did find the manual to my camera stuffed in there plus receipts of Target purchases that were over a year old :bag:

Now I've got some shredding to do to get rid of all the paperwork I kept and don't need.

cckwmh
09-18-2010, 07:32 AM
i'm in. I have been following these organization threads saying i need to do something - well now I am.

I am sitting at an L shaped desk in our home office, and the other side of the L without the computer has become a catch all for papers, books, etc. I can't see the desk top or the desk lap the piles have reached so high. Of course my camera is dead and the charging cable is in the pile, too.

I am also going to tackle the pile next to the kitchen door that becomes the catch all for mail, coupons, etc. and figure out a better system.

ha98ed14
09-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Me too! I'm in. I had been slowly chipping away, but I lost motivation and haven't touched anything since June. I will say that one of the best pieces of advice I got from a friend who keeps a gorgeous house is to have a shredder nearby and always on. Much as I hate the look if it, it sits on the floor right by my desk the our living room. We don't have an office. (Our extra bedroom has a twin bed and some crafting stuff, but it's the tiniest room in the house 10x10, so putting a desk in there isn't an option if we want to have the bed, which we do for MIL who stays one night per month.)

So, for my first challenge, I am going to take on my desk and the baskets of papers. I file (or not) in baskets...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_p5JlC0g78oo/TJT3gH4j3KI/AAAAAAAABhw/T0FGkPvGZys/DSCN0022.JPG

jgenie
09-18-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm in - DH has dinners all next week so I'll be able to tackle this after the boys go to sleep. I haven't filed in about 7 months!!

KrisM
09-20-2010, 06:58 AM
How's everyone doing??

I forgot to take a before picture. And my paper mess wasn't bad - just the last week's worth of school stuf piled on top of my desk apprentice. One thing I did do last night though was finish getting all my cut out magazine articles in page protectors. I have them in binders and plan to organize them by subject and age. I'll have one binder just for kid ideas and sort by age so I can purge a section when DS2 passes that age. It's working well, even unsorted because they're all in one place.

niccig
09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm going OK.
This is now my desktop file holder, and the purple expanding file holds our current year medical EOBs/Bills/FSA. Previous years were put in with tax records in storage tubs. This emptied out one plastic tub from my closet. Before and then After pics
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/103_0364.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/103_0375.jpg

This is the shelf in the armoire - I put class notes I want to keep in the empty plastic tub from the medical records and it will go into the garage. I still need to go through the pile of papers and folders on the shelf as much of this needs to go back to the person I was doing volunteer research for, but I need to make copies for myself. Doing that will have to wait, but I can find something in there if I need to. I now have one empty shelf in this armoire to put other things. Before and After pics
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/103_0366.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/103_0367.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/103_0373.jpg and the section in the 2nd photo is completely empty.

I still have a pile of paperwork to file, shredding to do and there's still DS's folder of artwork, and a box of computer software to sort through. DH is home, so I'm not going to have as much time in the evening but I do hope to get this done eventually. If I don't get it done before Wed, I still feel very good about what I have cleaned up...I can actually find something in my files for first time in maybe a year!!

Hope everyone is doing well with their challenge.

edurnemk
09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I just saw this thread, and even though the deadline is near, I'm in for this challenge! I've been pretty good about unpacking and sorting after our move, but the paperwork is just sitting there. And it doesn't help that DH keeps adding to the pile, as he keeps every.single.scrap of paper and then tosses it on my desk.

Step 1. I need a bigger filing cabinet. I've been on the hunt for one, but I have to prioritize now. The stacks you will see in the picture are all divided up into categories, I just don't have anywhere to put them!

Step 2. Sit DH down with his piles and make him sort through it. I may take my MIL's advice and just tell him he has 48 hours to sort, trash and organize or I will just toss it all in the recycling bin. Or "no dinner until you go through your mountain of paper".

Step 3. Finish scanning important documents to keep them on the external hard drive.

I'll post the before pictures after lunch!

edurnemk
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
One thing I did do last night though was finish getting all my cut out magazine articles in page protectors. I have them in binders and plan to organize them by subject and age. I'll have one binder just for kid ideas and sort by age so I can purge a section when DS2 passes that age. It's working well, even unsorted because they're all in one place.

Ooooohhhh! I've been planning to do this for ages. I might as well add it to the challenge. All the magazines are neatly placed in a bookcase, but I'll get some binders and page protectors when I go shopping for a file cabinet.

niccig
09-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Step 1. I need a bigger filing cabinet. I've been on the hunt for one, but I have to prioritize now. The stacks you will see in the picture are all divided up into categories, I just don't have anywhere to put them!

Step 2. Sit DH down with his piles and make him sort through it. I may take my MIL's advice and just tell him he has 48 hours to sort, trash and organize or I will just toss it all in the recycling bin. Or "no dinner until you go through your mountain of paper".

If you can't find a filing cabinet that will work for you, I have these file boxes that I use for storing paperwork http://www.stacksandstacks.com/iris-clear-file-boxes-set-of-2-fb21 You can use them with legal or letter hanging files. It might get things filed while you wait for the right filing cabinet.

As for DH, mine is the same. What I do is sit in front of the TV with him and I give him things and ask what he wants to do with them. If I give him the pile and walk away, the pile stays. He does hate it when I toss thing he wanted to keep, so I like the 48 hour ultimatum idea.

KrisM
09-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Does anyone have any finished pictures to share?

How'd we do?

I caught up on last week's start of school pile and got my magazine articles put away. I didn't have a chance to sort the articles yet.

wimama
09-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Oh no, I missed this challenge. This is a challenge I really need to to work on. Paper Clutter is my biggest challenge. I am going to have to start hanging out here in this forum, now that I found it.:thumbsup:

edurnemk
09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I got a lot done yesterday, I'll try to upload the pictures later today. We just have to go through DH's pile... but he came home yesterday with a bottle of wine and my favorite sushi :applause: I wasn't going to make him sort through his stuff right then!

niccig
09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
I got a little more done, but not everything because of work and PTO event. I am happy with what got filed though

I have one stack of papers to file (today) and then DS's artwork and some other miscellaneous papers. I'm going to keep working on it to get it done, as it's all sitting out in the living room. It used to be stored in my closet and I refuse to put it back there. I'll then be able to do my closet, when we have a closet challenge.

I hope everyone got some things done - it doesn't matter how much, every little bit helps.

crl
09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
I really liked this challenge! Thank you. Will there be more challenges? Maybe we could have another paperwork one sometime in the future for those of us that have another project to tackle or missed this one?

Catherine

niccig
09-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I really liked this challenge! Thank you. Will there be more challenges? Maybe we could have another paperwork one sometime in the future for those of us that have another project to tackle or missed this one?

Catherine

Yes, there will be more challenges. Kris and I thought we would alternate a more involved challenge then an easier challenge. I know I'm pretty tired from the filing that I did as I took on a far bit for this challenge. I want something easier to do next.

I think having another paperwork challenge is a great idea - I've still got piles of paperwork that need to be dealt with.

jgenie
09-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I didn't get everything filed but I was able to organize one tote bag and two plastic bins of paperwork. I filed the receipts and have the other paperwork in alphabetical order to be filed in the filing cabinet. :yay:

niccig
09-25-2010, 04:41 PM
I didn't get everything filed but I was able to organize one tote bag and two plastic bins of paperwork. I filed the receipts and have the other paperwork in alphabetical order to be filed in the filing cabinet. :yay:

That's a lot of things done.

I didn't get all my done either, but I'm going to keep chipping away at it.