PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a cut-off date for sex in the third tri?

luckytwenty
09-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I know at the very end, sex can bring on labor. Anyone know when exactly that is? My older two arrived ahead of schedule and my c-section is at 38 1/2 weeks, and I really don't want to go before then because it's Halloween. Would you stop before 34 weeks, 35 weeks, etc.?

ourbabygirl
09-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Good question! I've been wondering the same thing, how long people do it up into the 3rd tri. I'm at 36 weeks, and don't want to bring on early labor, either... guess I could ask my doctor what's reasonable. You could post a poll in the Lounge and see how people respond. :)

lil_acorn
09-15-2010, 03:26 PM
go til the end..when that baby is not coming out, you'll be doing all sorts of things to try to get him/her to leave your womb!!! plus that would be a major drought for dh since you also have to wait 6 week postpartum.

wellyes
09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
If you specifically don't want a baby Oct 31 then I'd say no nookie Oct 30. Other than that, if you're not at risk for preterm labor, I'd just do it as much as you like and let nature take its course.

Beckylove
09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
When I was pg, my doctor said we could keep doing the deed until the very end and that sex wouldn't start labor (in a normal pg) unless that baby was fully baked.

luckytwenty
09-15-2010, 03:41 PM
OK, thanks. I'm scheduled at 38 1/2 weeks so I won't have to worry about begging to get the baby out late...will definitely avoid Halloween-eve sex, though!!

(And not that it's so much fun lately--it gets quick comical when you've got a giant watermelon between your bodies!!)

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2010, 04:20 PM
The semen acts as a prostaglandin to ripen the cervix (same sort of thing as a Cervidil type drug), the orgasm can cause contractions. No induction thing is going to work till it's time and sex is more of a "primer" than an "inducer". I had no cut off at all.

Beth

BabyBearsMom
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
By my 39th week, I was ready for that baby to come on out and willing to do anything. DH and I....made several attempts to encourage DD to come out on the evenings before my labor. 2 days after we gave up trying that method, DD just made her own way out.

swissair81
09-15-2010, 04:35 PM
I didn't have a cutoff because we weren't allowed to for 15 weeks during my pregnancy. Not to mention the '10 weeks' afterward that I want to be off limits. I have to be nice to the poor man. Am I the only one who HATES 3rd tri sex though? So freaking uncomfortable.

BabyBearsMom
09-15-2010, 04:36 PM
I didn't have a cutoff because we weren't allowed to for 15 weeks during my pregnancy. Not to mention the '10 weeks' afterward that I want to be off limits. I have to be nice to the poor man. Am I the only one who HATES 3rd tri sex though? So freaking uncomfortable.

Nope, you aren't. I hated every second of it. I just wanted to lay very still and have no one touch me since everything hurt and I felt gross (so not one of those women who feels beautiful when she is 9 months preggers)

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I was good (fantastic- sorry TMI) with it for ds1. Not my favorite thing with ds2. Made up for it by being ready to go- and had approval for- 3w pp.

Beth

bostonsmama
09-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I think it was my Bradley book that said that in studies they've found that regular sex actually produces more full-term babies (as in, 40 wks) than abstaining. As others have said, the prostaglandins in semen only work when baby is ready. One of my GFs tried having sex 3 times once at and past her due date, and she still went 4 days past dates (and she had to be induced w/ pit).

luckytwenty
09-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Nope, you aren't. I hated every second of it. I just wanted to lay very still and have no one touch me since everything hurt and I felt gross (so not one of those women who feels beautiful when she is 9 months preggers)

I wouldn't say I hate it, but it seems like a lot of effort for the reward, you know? I now understand the very Victorian expression of "Wifely duties..." not that I am expected to do them, but I feel sort of bad about constantly sending off "don't touch me" vibes.

And while I don't feel beautiful at all in this condition, DH seems to think I am & feel like I am just my regular my old self and there's just a giant round thing in the way that we have to work around--it hasn't affected his interest level at all that I am more than 30 lbs larger than my former self, that sneezes make me pee and I have acne on the small of my back. Considering the 6-8 week drought looming ahead of us after the baby arrives, and how sweet he's been and tolerant of my grumpiness, moods, etc., I don't want to leave him out in the cold...

swissair81
09-16-2010, 03:22 PM
not that I am expected to do them, but I feel sort of bad about constantly sending off "don't touch me" vibes.

And while I don't feel beautiful at all in this condition, DH seems to think I am & feel like I am just my regular my old self and there's just a giant round thing in the way that we have to work around--it hasn't affected his interest level at all that I am more than 30 lbs larger than my former self, that sneezes make me pee and I have acne on the small of my back. Considering the 6-8 week drought looming ahead of us after the baby arrives, and how sweet he's been and tolerant of my grumpiness, moods, etc., I don't want to leave him out in the cold...

OMG, you read my mind!

doberbrat
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
If I may be so indelicate as to say, dh never had it so good as w/my last pg. Poor man probably wishes I'd agree to 3 more kids *LOL* enjoy it as much as you can b/c its just not the same PP (for me anyways) too tired, too busy, baby wakes up at inopportune moments.......