PDA

View Full Version : My TIVO finally bit the dust

arivecchi
09-15-2010, 05:01 PM
What should I replace it with?

Beth24
09-15-2010, 05:37 PM
What cable or satellite company do you use? Most have their own DVR's they will give you or rent to you. If yiu have an HD television you can get an HD DVR too.

arivecchi
09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Isn't it cheaper to buy my own instead of paying rental fees for years?

elektra
09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
We have DirecTV and have the DVR that comes with it. We used to have a Tivo several years ago, but then it became outdated quickly- you could only record one program at the same time and not two- it barely had any memory compared to the newer versions coming out....
Part of the reason we went to just renting the DVR through direct tv was to not have to deal with upgrading the hardware on our own and it just seemed a bit easier.
I never did a whole cost breakout though to see how much me might be overspending by just renting it like we do though.
The Tivo interface was so much more intuitive though!

WatchingThemGrow
09-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Ours died and we called to "cancel" ;) when they gave us a crazy deal on a refurbished "new style" model. They also gave me 3mos free and a waaaaay cheap plan just to retain me as a customer. It's worth a shot b/c the newer models do much more than the PP said her model did.

arivecchi
09-15-2010, 06:01 PM
aaaaaaargh! now i don't know what to do!

elektra
09-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Ours died and we called to "cancel" ;) when they gave us a crazy deal on a refurbished "new style" model. They also gave me 3mos free and a waaaaay cheap plan just to retain me as a customer. It's worth a shot b/c the newer models do much more than the PP said her model did.

Yes, my model was like one of the first iterations. It was several years ago. I guarantee that the newer ones are much nicer now.
I think this is a good way to go about calling and asking to cancel since it died and see what they offer.

However, if you don't get a good offer on a new machine/plan, getting the cable or direct tv integrated DVR is fine too. It works for us at least.

melonpan
09-15-2010, 06:31 PM
not trying to be a nazi, but how about trying without it just for a trial period, say 2 or 3 months? you might like it more than you think.

kdeunc
09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I have had two tivos die. Both times I sent them in and one was repaired (still working and this was a 2001 model) and the other replaced with refurb model (upgraded since they didn't make the original anymore). We had lifetime subscriptions on both and they stayed with the new/repaired units. We :heartbeat: Tivo!!

mrshalco
09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I would stick with a Tivo brand DVR. When ours died - we tried to switch to our local companies DVR and we returned it. We are spoiled by our Tivo and like how it works much more than our cable's DVR!

tny915
09-15-2010, 07:09 PM
We have Tivo hooked up to our tiny bedroom 10 year old tv and a Comcast DVR on the family room flat screen TV. I NEVER use the Comcast DVR or watch TV in the family room because I like the Tivo interface so much better.

I'd definitely replace my Tivo if mine died.

AnnieW625
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Call Tivo and they will send you a new one or give you a credit on new one. I found this out when my Tivo died and I called to cancel the service after I had already told DH to just have the cable guy install the cable company DVR. Tivo really really wants to keep customers.

FWIW, I put up with Tivo and liked it a bit better than the cable company DVR, but DH much prefers the simplicity of the cable company DVR.

Beth24
09-15-2010, 07:27 PM
We have DirecTV and have the DVR that comes with it. We used to have a Tivo several years ago, but then it became outdated quickly- you could only record one program at the same time and not two- it barely had any memory compared to the newer versions coming out....
Part of the reason we went to just renting the DVR through direct tv was to not have to deal with upgrading the hardware on our own and it just seemed a bit easier.
I never did a whole cost breakout though to see how much me might be overspending by just renting it like we do though.
The Tivo interface was so much more intuitive though!

That was our thought process too. We have upgraded our equipment a couple times already. I find our DVR just as intuitive and easy to use as the TIVO, you just have to get used to it.

Tenasparkl
09-15-2010, 07:51 PM
We used to have a Tivo several years ago, but then it became outdated quickly- you could only record one program at the same time and not two- it barely had any memory compared to the newer versions coming out....

Newer tivos can record two things at once. We replaced our original tivo with an HD tivo a few years ago and it has been great. My husband bought some kind of additional hard drive and we have a ridiculous amount of extra space now.

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2010, 08:27 PM
I would stick with a Tivo brand DVR. When ours died - we tried to switch to our local companies DVR and we returned it. We are spoiled by our Tivo and like how it works much more than our cable's DVR!

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: A million times!! I hate our Fios DVR and am counting down the days till we can get rid of it!! We had during the 1 year promotional period and dh says we can switch back to Tivo afterwards. Totally spoiled by Tivo. We had it from the get go and I love it.

Beth

arivecchi
09-15-2010, 08:31 PM
I have had two tivos die. Both times I sent them in and one was repaired (still working and this was a 2001 model) and the other replaced with refurb model (upgraded since they didn't make the original anymore). We had lifetime subscriptions on both and they stayed with the new/repaired units. We :heartbeat: Tivo!!
Oh thanks! We have the lifetime subscriptions too! I will try this!

WatchingThemGrow
09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
not trying to be a nazi, but how about trying without it just for a trial period, say 2 or 3 months? you might like it more than you think.
That may send someone off the deep end. We tried it, and we all almost lost our minds. It was SO frustrating to go about your day, doing all the things we were supposed to be doing, then, when it was finally time to sit down and take a break, there was nothing on - and you had to wait for commercials to finish to learn that. painful.

KrisM
09-15-2010, 08:39 PM
If you're computer savvy, you can build a computer and use software do record. I am not the computer one, but DH is and we can record 3 things at a time and save hundreds of shows.

arivecchi
09-15-2010, 09:26 PM
This blows. Called Tivo. They will exchange the box for $149 and then charge me a lifetime subscription replcement fee of $199. Gee. Thanks for nothing.

liamsmom
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
This blows. Called Tivo. They will exchange the box for $149 and then charge me a lifetime subscription replcement fee of $199. Gee. Thanks for nothing.

Ugh--that does blow. I assume that the $199 lifetime subscription means you only pay it once. But at that price, I'd look into cable DVR or Direct TV.

khm
09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
We have directv, I've also used dish at other people's houses. They are both fine. I have had real Tivo in the past, and it is nice. But, the interface difference is no longer as great as it used to be.

If my DVR-type device died, I'd most certainly replace it. I love it. I would consider building a computer, though.

arivecchi
09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Ugh--that does blow. I assume that the $199 lifetime subscription means you only pay it once. But at that price, I'd look into cable DVR or Direct TV. Right? I mean $350 after I already paid one lifetime subscription for a TIVO device that died?

egoldber
09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
We have the Dish DVR but we also have a Tivo (related to DH's business, it is free, we don't pay for it). We never, ever use the Tivo. I can't stand the interface. It's really all what you get used to using.

wellyes
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
This blows. Called Tivo. They will exchange the box for $149 and then charge me a lifetime subscription replcement fee of $199. Gee. Thanks for nothing.I think that's not too bad. The lifetime sub was always just for the life of the box. $199 for a new lifetime sub is the deal they're offering now everyone who had an old an lifetime sub. Getting a new model tivo for $149 is really good good!

I had a lifetime sub on an original box - gave it to my parents because I got rid of the landline in my house. Then I got a FIOS DVR. Forgetaboutit. Not remotely comparable. I ended up getting the newest model Tivo. I got a new lifetime sub for $199. I think I paid $250 for the new Tivo!

The good part for me was that getting a new lifetime sub did not impact my OLD lifetime sub and my parents will get to keep using that old Tivo til it kicks the bucket.

Anyway. If your cable company offers a DVR service they'll certainly give you a couple months for free. Can't hurt to give it a shot. But with FIOS, once my free trial ran out it was $20/month. For a lousy DVR. My new TIVO will pay for itself pretty quickly.

BabyBearsMom
09-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Call Tivo and they will send you a new one or give you a credit on new one. I found this out when my Tivo died and I called to cancel the service after I had already told DH to just have the cable guy install the cable company DVR. Tivo really really wants to keep customers.

:yeahthat: I love TIVO and am not a fan of the cable company DVR's. Tivo will give you a big discount on a new Tivo if you have an old one. Plus, Tivo's interface is the best.