PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about bottlefeeding and pumping

AnimalBabe
09-15-2010, 06:54 PM
I just started pumping three days ago (our son is now a little over 3 weeks old) and I'm wondering about what bottles/nipples to buy and how to store and build up a stockpile of milk. I have a starter playtex original nursing set and our son took well to the slow flow nipple that came with it. If I go with those, then should I buy a playtex adaptor kit to pump directly into the liners (I have a Medela PIS Advanced)? I read some people like the target brand liners, and if they are work and are cheaper then great! How does this work...do I just attach the liners to the adaptor without using a bottle and pump directly into the bags? And can the target bags then be put in the freezer as well? So far, I have only pumped into the Medela bottles that came with the pump.

In terms of nipples, does anyone know if the Gerber Nuk wide base nipples fit on the playtex bottles? Do you like these nipples compared to the playtex ones? I guess I could also just buy a set of Geber Nuk bottles if they don't fit the playtex ones. I haven't tried bottlefeeding our son more than once yet, but he seemed to spit up a bit after being fed from the playtex bottle. Could this be from air trapped in the bags or is it more likely the nipple flow?

Also, I'm trying to plan in advance for going back to work part time in a few months and also for a trip my husband and I are planning to take in November for one week. I am only pumping about 1/2 ounce from each breast per session right now. Will this dramatically increase anytime soon? I don't see how I could build up any kind of supply at this rate. I am only about to get enough per day for about one missed feeding.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you so much in advance!

MoJo
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
What you you expect your work schedule to look like? And, are you planning on taking the trip in November without your baby?

My experience pumping for my first was exactly what you described. . . I'd pump after every session all day to have enough to miss one feeding while I was at work in the evening, and I never did have any at all in the freezer (I didn't pump on days I wasn't working, though).

mrspeachykeen
09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
I can't answer to how to build supply since I don't pump because I work. My LO pretty much sleeps through the night now so I pump about 3-4 hours after she goes to bed and get about 3/4 of a bottles worth each night. I am pumping just to have a small freezer stash in case we have a sitter or something or to use to make cereal and such.

As for storage... I looked into the Playtex pump adaptor, but decided against it. My main reason is that at best I get 3 oz on one side and 2 oz on the other side. If I used the adaptors with the inserts then I would end up with a bunch of partial bottles or I'd dirty an insert and waste it. Also, you have to leave the collar and lid on to freeze it. That gets pricey unless you only need a small supply. I would just get the lanisoh storage bags or one of the other brands and use those. I would also get a few more of the Medela bottles to pump into. I have 6 bottles now and that works for us really well.

We have both the Nuk and the Playtex bottles (the Vent-aire ones though). I had one of the drop-ins but didn't care for them (another reason I didn't need the adaptor) I've never tried to mix the nipples.

My LO spits up breast or bottles, so I can't help you there.

wendibird22
09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I can't comment on the Platex and Gerber because I haven't used them. But I can tell you what I do for DD2 and did for DD1. I also have a PISA pump. I pump directly into the Medela bottles that I feed with. If I happen to pump more than I need (I pump 3x's a day at work) then I pour any extra into Lanisoh bags for freezing. I like that the freeze very flat so they don't take up a lot of room once you have a bunch of them. And for a storage idea, take a small gift bag and stack your frozen milk in that. I keeps you from having milk all over your freezer.

As for building a stash. I found pumping either first thing in the a.m. or at night after DD went to bed was the most productive for me. Pumping after every session just created a lot of parts to wash and didn't yield all that much. I think you will find that once your LO get a little bit older and isn't nursing constantly (like a newborn does) you'll have more time in between sessions to pump and get a better output.

Also, for me, I didn't need a huge stash when I went back to work. I was/am fortunate to be able to pump enough during 3 sessions for the next day. So, I did have a small stash for piece of mind and for just in case I had an off day (like when AF returned), but I didn't need a ton on hand and that took some of the pressure off.

HonoluluMom
09-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a Medela PISA.

I use all Medela equipment including Medela bottles and nipples. Never used Gerber or Platex.

I pump into the Medela bottle and then transfer the milk into a Lansinoh freezer storage bag. I froze 2-3 ounces in each freezer bag. If I wasn't able to make 2-3 ounces in one pump session, I would just wait until I had that amount and then transfer the milk into the Lansinoh bag.

When I first started pumping (which I think was about 3 weeks after DD was born), I pumped mainly to practice. I didn't get much. After about 6-8 weeks, I was able to pump A LOT more and build up a stash. However, after a while and even today, I am able to pump just enough to meet DD's need.

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
What's your plan for the trip when little one is still really little? Just thinking about the pumping logistics with that.

BEth

Uno-Mom
09-15-2010, 09:51 PM
I like the Medela bottles and nipples, it's all we've used. I really didn't want to transfer the milk from container to container.

Oh - and I've used the Medela bags for freezing the *tiny* bit of extra supply I managed to collect during my leave. No complaints on those! (I was able to pump some extra after that early morning and late night feedings.)

My doula and some threads here sent me to Kellymom.com for breastfeeding information. They post lots of articles about supply, what's "normal," problem-solving, etc. It gave me a lot of comfort when I totally stressed out!

lizzywednesday
09-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm able to pump quite a bit, but my situation is different from a lot of other moms' - I EP'd while my DD was in the hospital for treatment relating to her heart defect. (I can pump up to 12oz at some sessions, and if I skip a pump, I have to use an 8oz bottle rather than the 5oz ones that come with the pump. I have 8 that have never been used.)

I have some comments/suggestions that you didn't mention:

(1) Are you using the correct size breast shields ("horns") for your bust size? I found using horns too big or too small impacts the volume I can pump, not to mention the fact that it increases the potential for friction injuries (ouch!), like blisters. (I got a friction injury from using too small horns in the hospital. It cleared up with lanolin & a larger shield.)

(2) How long are you pumping? If it's only 10 minutes, try 15. If the milk doesn't flow right away, hit the letdown button again (that's the round button with the teardrop & arrow next to it) it gives you another 2-minute letdown phase. You may find that you need to do this a couple of times until your body adjusts to the pump.

(3) Try looking at your baby or a photo of your baby while you pump; it will help! Some people are able to pump & hold their LO skin-to-skin, but I wasn't that coordinated - and I use a hands-free pumping bustier!

(4) Relax! Volume pumped doesn't equal production. I actually nap during my at-work pumping sessions (I have a timer) and get a sizable volume.

As for storage, I use the pump-n-save bags from Medela. If I've pumped into a bottle, I divvy the milk up into 2oz and 3oz portions before bagging, as I freeze immediately (I'm only away from DD once a week) for ease of transport. Family watches her while I'm at work, so I never have to prep bottles for daycare, though I may have to by the end of the year.

AnimalBabe
09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your comments/suggestions! The trip in November will be without our son, and it will probably be for about 4-5 days, so I was getting worried about not having enough built up for him. I have heard, as was noted, that your supply should increase around 6 weeks or so, so I'm hoping for that. I know it's still early too and I'm just getting used to the pump. When I go back to work around Jan. it will be part time only (three days/week) but the little guy will be at day care for quite a long time because of my commute, probably around 10 hours or so. I am planning to pump at least 2x's at work and then on the days I'm at home too.

Lizzywednesday: I had heard that earl morning your supply should be high but I got literally nothing the other morning, and then got more in the afternoon. So that confused me. The amount I can pump varies by time of day for sure though.. a few hrs ago I got almost 1.5 ou from one breast, which is more than usual. I definitely will try to relax while I pump, I've heard that is important. Also, I've tried pumping on one side a few times now while our baby nurses on the other and that has worked well. I used rubber bands to make one side hand free. Works ok so far! I'm assuming I'm using the right size breast shields, though my right breast seems to hurt a bit more when I pump and seems to tug a bit more. Maybe I should try a bigger size on that side? Also, I'm trying to pump for around 15 minutes, but get most of the milk from the first few minutes and then it tapers off.

Thanks again!:grouphug:

lizzywednesday
09-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your comments/suggestions! The trip in November will be without our son, and it will probably be for about 4-5 days, so I was getting worried about not having enough built up for him. I have heard, as was noted, that your supply should increase around 6 weeks or so, so I'm hoping for that. I know it's still early too and I'm just getting used to the pump. When I go back to work around Jan. it will be part time only (three days/week) but the little guy will be at day care for quite a long time because of my commute, probably around 10 hours or so. I am planning to pump at least 2x's at work and then on the days I'm at home too.

Lizzywednesday: I had heard that earl morning your supply should be high but I got literally nothing the other morning, and then got more in the afternoon. So that confused me. The amount I can pump varies by time of day for sure though.. a few hrs ago I got almost 1.5 ou from one breast, which is more than usual. I definitely will try to relax while I pump, I've heard that is important. Also, I've tried pumping on one side a few times now while our baby nurses on the other and that has worked well. I used rubber bands to make one side hand free. Works ok so far! I'm assuming I'm using the right size breast shields, though my right breast seems to hurt a bit more when I pump and seems to tug a bit more. Maybe I should try a bigger size on that side? Also, I'm trying to pump for around 15 minutes, but get most of the milk from the first few minutes and then it tapers off.

Thanks again!:grouphug:

Try the next size up (PISA's come standard with 24mm; the next size up is 27mm) for the shields and lubricate with lanolin or whatever nipple cream you're using (I used Lansinoh, but I know a lot of folks hate it.)

Try hitting the letdown button again after those 1st 2 minutes; you may need an extended letdown phase for your breasts to "cooperate" ... I know I did! The hospital pump I used at first had an "extended letdown" phase, which is kind of what Baby does too get milk flowing at first.

FWIW, my early pumps were backwards like that, too. (I found my pump log and it's so bizarre! My overnight pumps tended to be the most volume.)

BabyBearsMom
09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
I didn't start pumping until 6 weeks after DD was born. I just had too much to deal with being a FTM with a new baby to add anything else to my list and it just overwhelmed me. I had a set time every day where I pumped when DD wasn't hungry. At first I didn't get much, but with practice it increased. I stored all of that in Lansinoh bags. I have always pumped into the Medela bottles and then poured the bottles into the bags. I realized that I didn't really need a huge stash though. Now that I am back at work, I pump 3 times a day and make DD's bottles for the next day out of what I pump. If I don't pump enough, she gets formula, and I am fine with that. I use my stash for date nights when we have a sitter, but that is about it.