PDA

View Full Version : Birthday party RSVP etiquette question

ncat
09-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure what is polite to do here.

DD has plans (a ticket) to see an upcoming college football game with DH and DH's dad (her grandpa). Grandpa bought the tickets months ago and DD wanted to go.

She was invited to a birthday party on the same day - a little girl who was in her K class last year, and in the same afterschool program. Nice kid, nice mother. The party is at a venue, and I'm sure the mom needs a guest count.

If I knew that the game was at the same time as the party we would have to send our regrets. But, the game time will not be scheduled until less than a week before the game, which is after the RSVP deadline.

Is it OK to tell the other mom that DD would like to go, but she may have other plans and we'd have to let her know a few days late?

ehf
09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
I would get in touch and explain your situation. Say that you are willing to RSVP "no" if she needs an absolute count now, but that you'd love to come if the two don't conflict.

I think she'll appreciate your response and let you know what she needs.

Fairy
09-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, just call her and say your DD would like to go, but you won't know if you ahve a conflict with the game until X date (and give her the date). Is it ok to let her know then? If not, then you'll decline and totally understand and happy bday. No fuss, if it were me, I'd appreciate an RSVP like that.

DrSally
09-15-2010, 09:01 PM
I would get in touch and explain your situation. Say that you are willing to RSVP "no" if she needs an absolute count now, but that you'd love to come if the two don't conflict.

:yeahthat:

ncat
09-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks! This is very helpful - I was worried about how it might come off.

Corie
09-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Yes, this exactly!!

mom2binsd
09-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I'll think she'll appreciate the call as so many parents don't bother to RSVP at all...and given the situation I'm sure she'll understand.