View Full Version : spinoff: What SPORTS were you involved in as kid

bubbaray
09-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Me:

Elementary:
basketball
volleyball
cross country
track (100, 200, 400, 4x relays in all, high jump, long jump)

High school:
basketball (8-10 only)
volleyball
cross country
track (100, 200, 400, 4x relays in all, high jump, long jump)
soccer (11 & 12 only)

Also swimming lessons, but never swam competitively.
ETA: forgot about tennis. Played for years.

tmahanes
09-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Basketball
Volleyball
Softball

Both volleyball and softball I did travel teams which could get crazy!

ETA: forgot to add Elem. School
Ballet
Tap
Gymnastics

salsah
09-16-2010, 12:05 AM
swimming
basketball
tennis
water polo

mom2binsd
09-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Elementary/Middle School

Gymnastics (just at school)
Cross Country Running/Track and Field - Sprinting

Competitive Figure Skating took over my life though, on the ice 6-7 days a week from age 8-18!!!

elektra
09-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Elementary:
Swimming (really wish I would have stuck with this longer)
Soccer
Softball

High School:
Volleyball
Softball

College:
Softball

ellies mom
09-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Track and Field Hockey in High School

Cross Country in College

kijip
09-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Softball- most seriously, longest

Soccer- Family moved and I had to quit after 2 seasons.
Basketball- I turned out to be shorter than expected and aside from a slick hook shot, I was not all that good!

baymom
09-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Elementary:
-soccer, softball & gymnastics

HS:
--soccer & diving (My HS didn't have a gymnastics team and diving was a really natural sport to transition to)

Momit
09-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Elementary/middle school
Gymnastics - lessons
Ice skating - lessons, some competition
Soccer - youth league
Horseback riding - lessons
Swimming - lessons, swim team
Softball - youth league
Skiing XC and downhill - recreational

High school
Soccer - HS team
Track - HS team
Skiing - recreational, some competition
Horseback riding - lessons, competition
Tennis - lessons

brittone2
09-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Middle School:
Cross Country
Track
Cheerleading :cheerleader1:

High School:
Cross Country
Winter Track
CHeered for one year (over the winter) before our school added winter track
Spring track
was also in a AAU jr. olympics running club that met 2x a week and overlapped with my high school season. I'd run my high school practice, go home and get dinner, and then go 20-30 mins in a different direction to a practice at a different location for my club team. Had races after my normal high school team season. The AAU/jr. olympics club was for both cross country and track.

egoldber
09-16-2010, 06:57 AM
I ran cross country in high school for 3 years.

I was no good and I hated it. But my father was really into running at the time (that early 80s running craze) and he made me. I thought I hated running and working out for most of my adult life.

How funny that now I enjoy casual running.

Nyfeara
09-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Elementary:
Gymnastics
Horseback riding
Cheerleading

High School:
Gymnastics (school & private club)
Springboard Diving (school & private club once the gymnastics stopped)

The competition teams for gymnastics & diving (private clubs) pretty much took up all my weeknight time, so never got involved in any other HS sports. Plus it was a 45min-1hr (one way) commute for gymnastics and 1.5hr (one way) commute for diving. Yes, my mom was crazy. :bowdown:

hellokitty
09-16-2010, 09:10 AM
I had several yrs of swim lessons, but it was not for competition. Neither of my parents swim, so they have always had this fear about swimming and made sure we all knew how to swim.

Soccer in elementary school. I hated this, but my parents made me do it for yrs, even though I sucked at it.

Tennis in high school. My mom forced the coach to take me onto the team, I did not know how to play at all. I was so embarrassed by the way my mom did this (not only did she force me onto the team, but she did so a wk after practice had already begun). Luckily, I picked it up quickly, took a lot of extra lessons and practiced a LOT. Considering that I had the least amt of exp on the team, I was pretty highly ranked, to this day this is still the only sport I feel like I am decent at. Too bad nobody in our area plays tennis.

fivi2
09-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Elementary
Swimming
Dance (tap, ballet, jazz)

Middle/high
cheerleading
soccer
one miserable season of softball

Corie
09-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Me:

Softball (for a few years)
Track
Cross-country
Swim Team

WolfpackMom
09-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Elementary: softball
Middle: softball and soccer
HS: soccer

jenmcadams
09-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Elementary/Middle:
Running (won my first 5K at age 9, did my first 1/2 marathon at 10)
Basketball
Track

High School
XC, Track (Mile, 2Mile)
Basketball (Varsity form Soph->Senior...pretty competitive included summer club ball)

College (NCAA Div III)
XC/Track (3 Seasons)
Basketball (2 seasons)

caleymama
09-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Elementary School:
swimming lessons in summer
ballet/tap for a few years
soccer

Middle School:
soccer

High School:
soccer
field hockey

elliput
09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
The only sports team I was ever on was softball for one year. It is just not my thing. I took swim lessons as a kid and played golf, but only recreationally. Not sure how sporting many would consider this, but I did target shooting with black powder/muzzle loaded guns at historical recreation events.

HIU8
09-16-2010, 11:10 AM
soccer-team
softball-team
basketball-team
gymnastics (but I sucked so I stopped)-lessons
ice skating-lessons and recreational
skiing-recreational
horseback riding-lessons and recreational
swimming-lessons, recreational, swim team

cono0507
09-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Only swimming lessons. Sports weren't important to my parents and they would not sign me up because my mom couldn't handle driving me to things with 3 other kids in tow. So all 4 of us just did the same things: piano and swimming lessons.

And I regret that. A lot. I'm now learning to become an athlete as an adult, now running and doing triathlons. But at 5'9" as a high school freshman, I think I could have enjoyed and had success with some sports. A lesson learned not to be repeated with my kids. :)

peanut520
09-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Figure skating - (elementary only) lessons / competition
horseback riding (english) - lessons/competition/owned

smilequeen
09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
As a kid, 1-8th grade, I went to Catholic school and therefore did every sport they offered every year. Soccer, softball, basketball, and volleyball. I was a decent basketball player.

I went to a private HS with a strong sports program. I did not make any teams in HS, so no sports other than playing tennis recreationally and swimming for exercise.

AnnieW625
09-16-2010, 11:22 AM
elementary:
tennis, started playing at 8 yrs. old with my dad and 5 yo brother
gymnastics, 4yrs. to 8 yrs. old
swimming lessons during the summer

jr. high:
swim lessons, 7-8th grade
tennis lessons through the city or local tennis club

high school:
Jr. Lifegaurds, 9th
tennis, 10, 12

ilfaith
09-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Gymnastics, Softball and Horseback Riding. Oh and I was a Cheerleader for a year.

hillview
09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
High schoool
Soccer, basketball and lacrosse (Varsity :))

College
Soccer (freshman year) after that I didn't want to do it anymore for a variety of reasons ...
/hillary

groundhog74
09-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Not much really.

I think I did a summer of softball at some point. I took gymnastics lessons for a year or two. I took swim lessons most summers. I took horseback riding lessons on and off. I skied in middle school. In high school the only thing I did was synchronized swimming.

lizzywednesday
09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
I took swimming lessons from ages 4 through 15, which stopped just short of the Red Cross Lifeguarding course.

From ages 7 to 16, I swam competitively on the lake team.

The year I was 16, practices were moved from evenings to mornings, which ended up being back-to-back with the Lifeguarding course on another beach, so I'd have to bike from 1.5hrs of Lifeguarding to 1hr of practice and then bike home. I thought I would be too tired to get a good practice in, so I'd have to drop one.

I made the choice to stay on the swim team rather than get my Lifeguarding card because I had a goal of a time in one of my strokes, which I didn't make because I wasn't slotted into that stroke during the last dual meet of the year.

After that meet, I really felt stupid for choosing the team over the guarding (as I'd have had a pretty much guaranteed job the following summer) but I still stand by my decision because it was MY decision.

I also did gymnastics, soccer, softball, basketball and field hockey.

I was absolutely wretched at softball and field hockey, so I stopped softball before high school and only put in a year at field hockey in high school, which I chose to do instead of soccer.

I didn't continue soccer or basketball in high school because for Fall sports, I'd already opted to go with field hockey and by the time Winter sports rolled around, I was overwhelmed by rehearsals for the two elite extra-curricular choruses I'd made it into.

I don't regret the decision to give up sports for the performing arts, even though I don't do either the vocal/chorus stuff or the drama stuff anymore.

hanaum02
09-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Elementary School and Jr. High
- swim lessons in the summer
- competitive gymnastics (4 days/week + meets) This obviously took up all my time and I didn't get the opportunity to do anything else. But, I loved it and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

High School
- HS gymnastics team (much less serious/intense)
- cheerleading

Michelle
DS 9/04
DD 10/07

smiles33
09-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Elementary school and junior high:
basketball
soccer
softball
gymnastics
ice skating

High School:
basketball
volleyball
badminton (just 1 season so I could get out of the regular PE class!)

College/Law School:
Basketball (Intramural though, not Division I!)

I have shot some hoops in front of our house since then, but it's been years since I played a real game.

LarsMal
09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
I played softball and basketball until 8th grade. I also was involved in competitive dance (mostly tap and jazz, some ballet) from the age of five through 6th grade, and then stopped competing and focused on just ballet. After 8th grade my dad told me I should either concentrate on dance or sports, and then went on to tell me I wasn't going to go anywhere in sports...thanks, Dad!

I continued with ballet and contemporary dance through my sophomore year of college. I got injured and stopped dancing for a while. College life took over and I never got back into it. :(

KpbS
09-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Elementary: basketball, swimming, gymnastics
HS: soccer (one season)

I wish I had played more sports in HS.

elektra
09-16-2010, 04:48 PM
College/Law School:
Basketball (Intramural though, not Division I!)

I have shot some hoops in front of our house since then, but it's been years since I played a real game.

smiles33- you went to UCLA right. I am wondering if we played you in IM basketball???
My softball girls and I got a team together behind our softball coach's back and we played a few games. I specifically remember one game where we played a team of all Asian girls. We towered over them but I think they still beat us!
I am horrible at basketball BTW, despite my height.

smiles33
09-16-2010, 04:50 PM
elektra: Possibly! I played with a bunch of Asian girls I knew from high school, as I used to play with a traveling Japanese-American league (created back in the 40s when they were barred from playing with the regular leagues). There are a bunch of them throughout CA so we'd travel north and south all year during the off-season. I ALWAYS had to play center even though I'm only 5'7". I normally played small forward.

What a freakin' small world!

momtoonegirl
09-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Elementary, Middle, and High School:
Basketball
Track (400m, mile relay, also 300m indoor)

Elementary only:
Swimming and diving (stopped because of a bad accident I had while diving)

High School only:
Cheerleading (one year varsity)

wolverine2
09-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Synchronized Swimming

(Am I the only one? :))

AJP
09-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Soccer (youth through HS)
Karate (about 8-13 yrs old)
Tennis Lessons (about 9-11 yrs old)
Swimming Lessons (7-11 yrs old)
Figure skating (5-6)
Soccer is the only sport I played competitively. The rest were lessons/clinics etc. I would have loved to do dance but my mom says I never asked?!

AJP
09-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Oh I forgot Synchronized Swimming! I never really liked it but my mom signed my sis and I up after we completed the "lessons"...since we never wanted to compete.