PDA

View Full Version : Dream nursery ruined

newmom11
09-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Just needed to share my experience. We are 36 weeks due and could no longer keep dealing with a boutique company waiting for our nursery furniture so now have to find a new set. During our wait we did not get updates on why we had to wait well beyond the original delivery date. Could not trust the store anymore because all they could do was call for the balance but could not promise the delivery time.
Just feel that this is such a bad experience and the joy of putting together the exact nursery that I wanted is gone. Plus we are so busy now we will have to take whatever is out there instead of doing the special order dance again with these furniture companies like munire that take forever and no timeline for delivery or maybe it was the retailer.
Does any one have suggestions? I really wanted good furniture and feel like we really were taken for a ride. No compensation from the store which is recommended by baby bargains book even though they were beyond the 14 week promised date. We spoke to several managers so more exhausting as they call several days but nothing gets done just to talk while I am at work and have to take more time out of my exhausting work day.:hysterical:

MamaMolly
09-16-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm so sorry that you are being stressed out at what should be an exciting time. It is hard when it is out of your control. I know you are disappointed about changing what you are going to buy, but I have a couple of ideas:

Baby won't *need* a crib right away. You could use a pack and play (PNP) or bassinet to buy a little time to see if your furniture will come in.

You could go to a store that has cribs in stock and choose something from what they have there, take it home that day. It won't be what you want but you will be done.

You can buy a crib from CL, just make sure it has all the parts and hasn't been recalled.

To share my BTDT, Lula's first crib was inexpensive and lovely, and recalled. Her replacement crib was more expensive and ugly, and recalled. IME, there are a lot of price differences in cribs, but just about every manufacturer has had a recall, so spending more $$$ and thinking you will get better quality isn't necessarily true.

Hope you feel better soon!

rkold
09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Just needed to share my experience. We are 36 weeks due and could no longer keep dealing with a boutique company waiting for our nursery furniture so now have to find a new set. During our wait we did not get updates on why we had to wait well beyond the original delivery date. Could not trust the store anymore because all they could do was call for the balance but could not promise the delivery time.
Just feel that this is such a bad experience and the joy of putting together the exact nursery that I wanted is gone. Plus we are so busy now we will have to take whatever is out there instead of doing the special order dance again with these furniture companies like munire that take forever and no timeline for delivery or maybe it was the retailer.
Does any one have suggestions? I really wanted good furniture and feel like we really were taken for a ride. No compensation from the store which is recommended by baby bargains book even though they were beyond the 14 week promised date. We spoke to several managers so more exhausting as they call several days but nothing gets done just to talk while I am at work and have to take more time out of my exhausting work day.:hysterical:

You should definitely email your problem with the store to the Fields. I think partially their list of stores comes from reader feedback. However, I will say in my edition of BB it does warn that Munire in the past has had some major delivery woes and warns to leave an extra cushion of space because they're slow.

Like you, we've just entered the 9th month (a little past 35 weeks) and I suspect like you, this is also our first child. :) Between procrastination and a bit of superstition, we only ordered our crib just recently so there is no way it will be here on time. We were going to use a bassinet, (we can't use a co-sleeper because our kitty sleeps with us and I don't want to risk her sleeping with our future DD, our kitty would never hurt the baby intentionally but she could accidentally) but have now decided since I really want a UppaVista to use the bassinet feature of the Vista as her bed until the actual crib arrives. I saw that a few other people on the board have done the same thing.

I'm so sorry about the stress, I know how it is something you really don't want right now.

TwoBees
09-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I have to ask where you are located (you can PM me) because we had the EXACT SAME problem.

In any case, look at Pottery Barn Kids. Very cute, not too expensive, and a short lead time. And I agree with the pp, the baby doesn't need a crib right away (although it is a nice feeling to have everything all done before the baby comes).

ladysoapmaker
09-16-2010, 08:59 AM
As for a crib, if you are near an IKEA their cribs are nice. If I ever have another baby, I will be buying one from them. I can lean over the side and lay down the baby and don't have to worry about drop sides.

Jen

lil_acorn
09-16-2010, 09:04 AM
I know you are near your due date, but you could probably still get what you wanted, since you have options for the baby in teh early stages. You can always use a pack n play or bassinet while you wait for the crib. And just put the changing pad on top of the dresser or use the one in the pack and play temporarily

GL!

MissyAg94
09-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Oh mommy, this is the first in a long line of things that won't go exactly as you planned with a little one. Hugs.

You can still put together your dream nursery after the baby comes! We moved when DD was three months old. She didn't have a nursery until she was four months old. I was so wrapped up in having a newborn that it just didn't matter. When your baby gets here, the incomplete nursery will be the last thing on your mind!

I hope you find a crib you love and it gets to you quickly. Try PBK or Land of Nod.

Carrots
09-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Many hugs. :hug:

We didn't move DD A into her nursery until she was 6 months old. She was in our room in a bassinet or P&P. Now DD K is in our room and she is 4 months old.

I think you should wait for that beautiful furniture you ordered and you will have your dream nursery for your new little bundle! :grouphug:

Carrots
09-16-2010, 09:46 AM
P.S. We bought our furniture from a store recommended in the BBB, but we purchased our crib as a floor model and brought it home the same day for 1/2 the price of a new one. :)

nfowife
09-16-2010, 09:52 AM
So, you paid for the furniture or just a deposit? Have you tried contacting Munire directly? Delays in furniture are very common. Your nursery isn't ruined, but it might take a little longer is all. I promise it won't matter in the long run!

I would call someone directly at Munire to try and find out the status of your furniture order. If you have already paid money there is no reason to give that up just because it's taking longer than expected. Plus you still have about a month before baby arrives and likely won't need the crib for a bit after s/he does. Trust it will all work out and don't let it stress you out!!