PDA

View Full Version : Doctor shot at Johns Hopkins, building being evacuated

brittone2
09-16-2010, 12:03 PM
hopefully this doesn't directly affect any board members but saw this reported:
http://www.wbaltv.com/r/25035885/detail.html

Suspect is barricaded in a room, reportedly.

Positive thoughts that the rest of the staff and patients are safe. Evacuating patients under those circumstances must be pretty horrible.

ThreeofUs
09-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Sounds like it's over now. Doc is expected to recover.

As a former JHMI'er, I have to say evacuating sounds very difficult.

codex57
09-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Wow, it's like Grey's Anatomy. Least there was only one injury and the doc is supposed to recover fully.

If you're gonna get shot, certainly nice to already be at John Hopkins. About the only better place in the whole world is in the same city at Cowley Shock Trauma.

codex57
09-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh no. They reported that the gunman actually did kill someone else besides shooting the doctor. I was hoping this had resolved without any innocent deaths.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Wow, it's like Grey's Anatomy. Least there was only one injury and the doc is supposed to recover fully.

If you're gonna get shot, certainly nice to already be at John Hopkins. About the only better place in the whole world is in the same city at Cowley Shock Trauma.

this was my first thought too!

glad to hear that the doctor will recover. i don't think there was just one injury though, the article says the shooter's relative (his mother, according to another report) was killed. so tragic. :(

peanut520
09-16-2010, 03:29 PM
so sad... my friend is getting cancer treatment there this month. i hope she is alright.

LarsMal
09-16-2010, 04:47 PM
It appears the man shot and killed his mother and then himself. He shot the doctor in the hallway, outside his mother's room, after becoming distraught over the report the doctor was giving him.

AlbrightRC
09-16-2010, 04:48 PM
After shooting the dr. the person barricaded himself in his mothers hospital room. He shot and killed his mother and then shot and killed himself. The whole building wasn't evacuated since the person was confined to one room in a contained area.

codex57
09-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Wow. That's pretty tragic. Hopefully, the mother didn't suffer much and that her life was merely shortened only a tiny bit more and was saved pain from some incurable disease.

If he barricaded himself in his mom's room, that does sound like it would traumatize less people (witnesses).

LexyLou
09-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Eeek, I have a friend from high school who works in Johns Hopkins security. I just sent him an email.

AlbrightRC
09-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow. That's pretty tragic. Hopefully, the mother didn't suffer much and that her life was merely shortened only a tiny bit more and was saved pain from some incurable disease.

If he barricaded himself in his mom's room, that does sound like it would traumatize less people (witnesses).

I guess I should say he went into her room and some of the nurse, docters witnesses(whoever) pushed some carts in front of the door to keep him from getting out. From what has been said on the news his mother had just had spinal fusion ? surgery and was going to be paralized for the rest of her life (not sure if it was dr error i'm thinking just a problem that could happen from the surgery). The son was very upset about this and that is why he shot the dr.