PDA

View Full Version : "Green" way to disinfect toys

boltfam
09-16-2010, 02:39 PM
DS's bath toys kind of gross me out. While I always make sure to take them out of the tub and put them in the mesh holder to drain, DH doesn't. And DS has some toys that squirt and don't get emptied out all the time. What is the best way to disinfect them w/o harsh chemicals. Vinegar? Vinegar water?

jgenie
09-16-2010, 02:57 PM
If you have a dishwasher you could try running them through a wash cycle.

hbridge
09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
I run bath toys through the dishwasher. If they are squirt toys I check them regularly and any sign of discoloration they are tossed out.

crl
09-16-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't think it is possible to get squirt toys truly clean. Other stuff, dishwasher. If you can't do the dishwasher for some reason, sunlight.

Catherine

BayGirl2
09-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Just thinking about this - what about running them through a bottle sterilizer? I guess that's the same as the dishwasher?

I'm wondering because a couple of DS's squirt toys have water stuck in them. Is sterilizing/heating/dishwashering the water inside enough, or do I to throw them out..

crl
09-17-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't know. Here's a link on bath toys and germs, but it doesn't address whether a bottle sterilizer would do the trick for squirt toys.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=197121&catid=71

Catherine

fedoragirl
09-17-2010, 11:32 AM
I run them through the dishwasher but I also use a vinegar water solution to disinfect all toys. Works wonderfully.

sewarsh
09-19-2010, 08:29 AM
we have no squirty toys - i threw them all away. they are gross.

i have my own made-up motivated moms checklist and every 2 weeks i run the toys through the dishwasher using Seventh Generation.