PDA

View Full Version : checking in with former boss - phone or e-mail?

fivi2
09-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I am clueless when it comes to job hunting protocol!

I want to touch base with my old boss to let him know I may be looking for jobs and he may be getting calls. (I am not currently planning on trying to return to the same exact place).

I tried to call him, but he has always been difficult to get in touch with, and now I don't want to seem like a stalker (I didn't leave a vm, just spoke with receptionist). Is an e-mail okay?

mommylamb
09-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I think an email is fine. A lot of crackberry people are more likely to get that message than they would a message left with a receptionist.

niccig
09-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Email. If you get along well, could you suggest a lunch? I did this with my former supervisor.

fivi2
09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys :)

eta: wow - this is harder than I thought! I have no idea how to start this... arrgghh!

bnme
09-16-2010, 05:15 PM
I am in the same boat as you - looking for work but not really in touch with former coowrkers, etc. I read your post the other day but didn't get a chance to respond.

I sent a very casual email to my former boss who o I was very friendly with while working, but did not keep in touch with at all after (except niceties through another employee). Here is a blurb:

I know it has been a long time. How are you doing? I am always wondering if I am going to run into you one day out and around town. Does your cousin still live near me?

Can you believe my boys are 5 & 7 already (!)? And I am finally sort of starting to look for work again. I wanted to ask if I could use you as a reference. I didn't want you getting any surprise phone calls or anything. Blah, blah blah

HTH. Good luck!

fivi2
09-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Thank you, that is very helpful!

Good luck to you on the job search!

egoldber
09-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I sent an e-mail to my former boss to make sure it was OK to use him as a reference. Thank goodness we had continued to exchange holiday cards because he had changed jobs and moved out of state since I worked for him! His glowing recommendation is what got me my current job.