PDA

View Full Version : Nordstrom Personal Shopper Question

AbbysMom
09-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I've seen it mentioned here that Nordstrom's has a personal shopping department where you can make an appointment, tell them what you need and have them pull stuff for you to try on there. I am in DESPERATE need of clothes and fashion help because I never looked pulled together. I basically have 2 pairs of bootcut jeans that fit and look nice. After weeding out my closet, I really don't have anything else that fits, looks good or is remotely fashionable.

Now my real question: If I went there with a $200 budget, could I get enough pieces to get me through the winter looking stylish? I think I'll basically be needing shirts/sweaters and accessories. (I know I need shoes/bootsand a winter coat also so I'm not including that in my budget). Trying to decide if its worth it to try Nordstroms and end up with only 2 or 3 things or if I should just go to Old Navy or someplace cheap on that budget.

All opinions welcome! Thanks :)

turtledove
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I've never done the Nordstom personal shopper thing, so take this with a grain of salt...I would be shocked if you could get more than 3-4 items at Norstrom for $200. Whether it is worth it or not is a different question. I am in the process of weeding thru my closet and am pretty much deciding that I will spend a bit more on quality pieces that will last a long time (more classic than trendy). I would be tempted to invest in a couple well fitting, quality items and change it up with some less expensive accessories. GL and let us know what you decide!

bluestarfish18
09-16-2010, 08:31 PM
I loved my appt back in May. The stylist was able to pull great clothes together...but honestly, they were just about exactly what I would have picked for myself. Here's the only beef I have:

1. go in person to schedule an appt. This way you can see their style in person, and make sure their personality makes you feel comfortable.

2. be firm in your budget. I asked for a limit of $600 and told her strech it as far as possible.

And no, there's no way you'll get an entire closet of winter clothes for $200, but you will get a great baseline of what direction to go in. At most you'll get a pair of pants, a top and maybe a sweater.

wellyes
09-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I think you can get a really nice handful of items at Nordstrom's for $200. 2-4 items. Which is actually a good amount of high-quality wardrobe additions if you're working from a good base. But starting practically from scratch, with that budget, you will not get far at Nordstrom's at all.

I just read a fantastic book called "How to be a Budget Fashionista" which I think you'd really like. It talks very specifically about what stores to shop at and what items to splurge on vs what to skimp on. For example, she says you should always buy an expensive handbag. It will bring up your whole look immensely, even if you're wearing Old Navy jeans and a Target top and a bracelet from WalMart. It's 5 years old, so some advice is outdated (she loves Isaac Mizrahi for Target but he no longer designs for them) but I got a whole lot of specific useful advice from it.

Anyway, there's a brief interview with a personal shopper that gave a good piece of advice. She says personal shoppers have look books for the pieces they carry that includes items not sold in their own stores.... you could find an item or two at Nordstroms and use the look book for inspiration and ideas when shopping at less expensive places.

AbbysMom
09-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the book recommendation. I love Isaac Mizrahi and bought his stuff at Target so maybe this is just the book for me! My only problem is I never shop in stores (usually online) and never alone so I'm always rushed. I was hoping I could get out to one store and blow the full amount on a few outfits that look great. I've tried that at the Loft before but by the time you add in the necklaces/scarfs etc. it's usually so expensive!

DrSally
09-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Uh, I think you could prob get 1-2 items for $200 at Nordstrom. The personal shopper service is nice, but I like it for special occassions, not everyday wear.

elektra
09-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I did the Nordstrom personal shopper earlier this year and loved it. You probably would be able to get 3 or so pieces for that budget but you can also get some great ideas.

AbbysMom
09-16-2010, 09:33 PM
OK personal shopper at Nordstrom is out until I have more money and less need for an entire wardrobe. Still hoping to find a one-stop shopping experience for layering tops, cascading type cardigans and accessories. Will check the Gap and the Loft. Any other ideas?
FWIW this is how I see my style (but I never actually achieve it!):
http://youlookfab.com/2009/10/16/autumn-mom-on-the-go-flop-proof-outfit-1/

oneplustwo
09-16-2010, 11:05 PM
I was going to suggest that you call Nordstrom to talk to a personal shopper, explain your budget and needs, and see if they think they could help you. I used to think of that store are pretty high end and pricey, but finally realized they have loads of reasonably priced clothes too. I have jeans from there that are $40, tops that are $15, a sweater that cost $30. (They have great sales!) If you really need a lot of items to bulk out your wardrobe fast on the cheap, maybe consider Target.

BTW, you linked to my all-time favorite style/fashion site, You Look Fab.

crl
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
I wonder if you could call and ask if you could get help for $125 for a pair of jeans and a pair of pants? Then use the $75 left at H&M or Target or somewhere for inexpensive tops. I'm not sure what sizes they have left, but I had good luck a month or so ago with neutral color t-shirts on Lands End overstocks at about $5-6 a t-shirt. Combine a few of those with a fun sweater and scarf from H&M. . . .

Catherine