PDA

View Full Version : Kindermusik question - new materials for each session?

mousemom
09-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Our EI service offered to pay for Kindermusik classes for us to help DS develop his communication skills. Yeah! But, I talked to the kindermusik provider this afternoon and all EI pays for is the actual tuition, we'd still have to pay for the at-home materials. Still a great deal since we could not afford to do kindermusik at all without the help, but still another expense. If you've done Kindermusik, did you have to purchase new at-home materials for each session or do they carry over from one to the next? The authorization for the program is for a year, so I'd be much more inclined to do it if I could use the materials again in future sessions. Thanks!

DietCokeLover
09-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Each new session is new material, so there would be a need to purchase new at home material both times.

mommyp
09-16-2010, 10:08 PM
There are new materials for each session. Last year we did 2 16-week sessions and had different books and instruments each time. IIRC, it was about $50/session for the at-home materials, the tuition was the most expensive part.

dukie41181
09-16-2010, 10:18 PM
It is a different expense. Our Kindermusik instructor made the at-home materials optional so you may want to specifically ask the instructor if its required. We love Kindermusik and hope you do too!

mousemom
09-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. That's what I figured. Just have to sit down and decide whether we want to spend money on the classes or not right now.

Jo..
09-16-2010, 11:31 PM
This is one of the reasons I stopped doing KM. I did it with Adam when he was a baby, and the materials fee covered a cd that neither of us liked, and a junky rubber duck mirror.

I have no idea what we were supposed to do with these things, as they were not used in the class. They were just...junk. That I had to pay for.

My feeling is that KM uses the misc stuff as a way to pad fees. So we do other activities now. It annoyed me.

Each class is a different materials fee. If they made them optional I would sign DD up.

WatchingThemGrow
09-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. That's what I figured. Just have to sit down and decide whether we want to spend money on the classes or not right now.
HIGHLY worth it IMO. The interaction it facilitates, the variety of experiences, and the rich musical experience is highly worth it IMO. The home materials give great activities you are supposed to do at home with your DC. Although I don't always do them, I think they are really neat/valuable. I have set DH or MIL up with the at-home materials and the cd, instrument and given them an activity.

As far as the therapy approach, I never thought about that. How very cool. I may start doing more of the activities with my younger DS to encourage his language acquisition. He is 15m and needs a verbal push.

I'd cut out something else (like nicer clothes for me) and invest in it. We :heartbeat: KM!

There is a new set of materials that goes with each semester. We did not have to buy it this time b/c we already bought this one when DD and DS1 were in the class 2 years ago. Now my younger ones are doing the same class.

katydid1971
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I have mixed feelings on the materials. I agree that the CDs aren't really worth it or the game sets but the instruments are nice. I know you could purchase the instruments cheeper elsewhere though. Ask the KM teacher if you have to purchase the at home sets, let her know $$$ is tight and if there are any other options, what do you have to lose?

nov04
09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
We were offered free kindermusik too through EI. I think we had to buy a CD too, it wasn't useful but the fee wasn't that bad either.

We ran into a problem though with attendance. The teacher objected to be taking a few classes off to *give birth* to dd2. She couldn't see why I would need to miss classes!!! I would ask about the attendance policy.

WatchingThemGrow
09-17-2010, 02:27 PM
W
We ran into a problem though with attendance. The teacher objected to be taking a few classes off to *give birth* to dd2. She couldn't see why I would need to miss classes!!! I would ask about the attendance policy.
I've given birth during the semester before, and I sent DD with DH or MIL while I stayed home with the baby. It was a great bonding experience for them, and DH realized how fun the classes are. He now tries to schedule a day during each semester that he can go with the DC instead of me.

Our teacher lets us make up classes during any of her other comparable classes during the semester. So..we have done 2classes/week if we are going to be gone for vacation or whatever.

scrooks
09-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Contrary to what most people of have said, my DD LOVES her Kindermusik CDs. DH and I HATE them because she likes them played so much.
We also :heartbeat: KM. DD has done it the past 2 winters and I just start DS in a session last week.