PDA

View Full Version : Birthday gift for 2 year old boy?

ncat
09-16-2010, 10:14 PM
DS is going to a birthday party for one of his little friends from daycare.

Yes, I should know what 2 year old boys like, but DS likes anything that belongs to DD and doesn't play with many age appropriate toys at home.

I need to find something reasonably priced and that the birthday boy is not likely to have already.

Any suggestions for likely "hits"?

Many thanks!

conniez
09-17-2010, 04:57 AM
I was just walking around the LEGO store at my local mall with DD2 (who is 2.5 yrs old) and she loved them. She actually preferred the smaller ones, but they're not recommended for her age. They have some great Duplo sets (the toddler LEGOs) and I think they start as low as $3.99 (small boxes), and go up to the medium sized sets $9.99/$11.99/$14.99. They, of course, have the larger sets $19.99-$29.99+. You could probably get a great Toy Story themed set for about $15! HTh :)

klwa
09-17-2010, 06:42 AM
2 is such a hard age to buy for, since so many toys seem too babyish or are for ages 3+. That said, DD got several Duplo sets for her birthday & loves to play with them. (Mainly the Toy Story ones mentioned by PP)

AlbrightRC
09-17-2010, 08:44 AM
2 is such a hard age to buy for, since so many toys seem too babyish or are for ages 3+. That said, DD got several Duplo sets for her birthday & loves to play with them. (Mainly the Toy Story ones mentioned by PP)

I would agree that 2 is a hard age we are having the same problem with our son. For his second birthday he got a tricycle ,train set, wooden tool bench. Some cd's and dvd's. He aslo has recently discovered automoblox and although they are for ages 3+ he does just fine with them.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Blocks. My ds2 is 2yo and loving MegaBloks. He's at the later part of 2yo so it might be something that collects dust for a bit but after that you'll be golden!

Beth

vonfirmath
09-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Duplos
Wedgits
A doctor's kit
PUZZLEs (this was the big one for my son. Real puzzles, not the knob things)

misshollygolightly
09-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Toy cars and trucks! Tonka has some fun, inexpensive ones like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Tonka-Toughest-Motorized-Street-Sweeper/dp/B002N1WSYA
DS received a couple of those for his 2nd birthday and we love them!

We're also big fans of pretty much anything with Disney/Pixar Cars or Thomas on it. There's a great line of little metal toy Pixar Cars (a bit larger than Hotwheels) that have been a huge hit in our home. DS has never seen the movie, but he loves playing with the toys and he likes anything with Lightnin' McQueen or Mater on it :-) The Disney Store has lots of cute PJ sets and stuff that could make good gifts.

lil_acorn
09-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Duplos, cars, playdough, coloring sheets

left210
09-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Try the Melissa & Doug floor puzzles. This is the next step after the wood puzzles. Our DS turned 2 in June and has loved moving up to these puzzles. He still needs help with them but is catching on really quick. Also, Little People sets, mega blocks are good at this age too. Another thing he has really just gotten into are the building kits where you build Elmo or a character. They are made by Knex. Here is a link to one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00155PLQW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0017U9XA0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WBAT5WRJCNQBQ17P57F