PDA

View Full Version : When did your DC start preschool?

PMJ
09-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Just curious when I should start looking into this? I'm a SAHM and I'd like to be this as long as possible, so I'm not sure I want to put DD in pre-school earlier and have to pay loads of $$ for this, but do think the social interaction is critical.

Thanks for your help.

PJ

goldenpig
09-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm not a SAHM, but my daughter started preschool 9-12 am M-F just after she turned two (she was the youngest in her class). I was worried that she might be too young but she did great and I feel like it was good for her on many different levels--learning to be around and play/interact with other kids, learning to listen to the teachers and follow the daily schedule, sharing and taking turns, potty training, etc. It's a Montessori like preschool so they have plenty of time to do whatever they like, which is nice, but they also do circle time and other group activities. Because of our work schedule and nanny's class schedule, we did 5 mornings, but on our days off we would keep her out so she was only doing 4 days many weeks. I like the morning only schedule because it was just enough time there and then she could have lunch and nap at home. This year she's in a 3-5 mixed age classroom from 8:30-2 4 days a week, so she eats lunch there and comes home and naps (though sometimes she's skipping naps now).

I think most kids around here go to preschool and start somewhere between age 2-3, usually 2-3 mornings a week. As far as when to start looking, it depends where you live, but some of the preschools around here have long waiting lists (first come first served) so it is good to find out how the preschools around you work, and get on wait lists early if there's a preschool that you like. And a lot of the preschools around here tend to fill up with siblings who get preference, so it can be hard to get in if you wait too long to apply. That's just our microclimate though, so YMMV.

Oh, BTW since you're a SAHM, you may want to look into co-op preschools, those tend to be cheaper because you are required to put in time volunteering there on a regular basis.

longtallsally05
09-17-2010, 12:25 AM
3 years old, earlier than I really wanted but DH deployed and I needed time to go to OB appointments & unpack the household goods (we moved 10 days before the deployment). Before that, we did a parent-attended playgroup 2 x week through education developmental intervention services, b/c DD had delayed language skills and needed the social interaction. 3 x week preschool made me a more capable SAHM and spouse. No regrets here!

Katigre
09-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Here is our personal experience:

We don't do traditional preschool, never have. It would be $100/month for any program in our area - that's a lot of money and I personally don't feel it is worth the expense. It wouldn't benefit my DS academically (he's doing 1st grade level reading, math and social studies on his own initiative right now). Socially there are other outlets that would provide him play time with peers (more on that below). Time-wise it would totally break up my day to get us ready, drive him to preschool, drop him off, come back 2 hours later (not including commute). Barely enough time to get anything done!

DS went to a one-day-a-week Parent's Day Out when he was 2-3 that was alright - I liked that it was only one day and 4.5 hours which gave me plenty of time to get errands done. We stopped going when the 20 minute drive there and back became too much of a burden and he's never mentioned missing it. Now the one morning a week when I am teaching at a homeschool coop he comes with me and has free preschool there with a teacher and 4-5 year olds. It's three hours of play time, some letter/writing, story time and an art project. He enjoys it and I'm glad for him, but it's definitely not his main social outlet or source of friendship.

Enrichment-wise, I think it is more fun to spend the money on other types of enrichment classes (check your local park district) - Kindermusik, gymnastics, mommy-and-me cooking class, Young at Art classes, martial arts, nature classes (we're doing one right now that is awesome - every week we hike in the woods with a guide for an hour and search for different things, last week was types of fungus and we got to spread spores from a mushroom), etc... Museum visits/memberships are great too.

Those things provide a whole lot more variety and unique opportunities than a typical preschool class (which you can pretty easily replicate at home). I think preschool is fun and generally a positive experience for the kids - it's just as a parent I don't think it's the best use of our limited resources so I choose to spend our education/enrichment dollars elsewhere :).

Socially, I think that for preschoolers they get much more benefit from 1-1 play with kids and 1-1 time with adults than being in a larger group. DS loves his playdates with friends, especially his best friend, but when he's in larger groups he prefers to sit back and observe - it's definitely not a 'social time' for him or most of the other kids, they all are following the teacher or talking with one friend near them. That type of large-group social opportunity DS gets for free at our library story time class each week.

I've heard people argue that you need a year or two of preschool to know how to function in a classroom for K, but I think kids have lots of 'classroom' opportunities these days (library story time, Sunday school, park district classes, etc...). It honestly doesn't take a whole lot of exposure for the average child to figure out how to listen to a teacher, sit in a seat, and do circle time :shrug:. Paying several thousand dollars before age 5 just for a child to learn those 'classroom skills' seems like a waste IMO.

So basically, if you want her to do preschool and she'd enjoy it then sign her up at age 3-4 - she'll love it, you'll like seeing her projects, you'll be able to network (hopefully) with other mommies of kids the same age, it will be great! But if money is an issue, you'd rather do something else, you've already got a full schedule of friends and activities, and you feel pressured into it remind yourself there is no need for it if she is in an enriching learning environment at home and is out in our society on a regular basis interacting with all sorts of people :).

maestramommy
09-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Dora started when she was 3, but she went to a 2s program because of her late bday.

Arwyn is starting this year at 3.

Laurel may start next year at 2.

WatchingThemGrow
09-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Mine start at age 3, in the 3's class, 2 days/week.

scriptkitten
09-17-2010, 07:02 AM
This month my 23m olds started a program and they go 1x a week. I might increase to 2x for the winter session

hez
09-17-2010, 07:35 AM
DS had just turned 4 when he started preschool. I'm a WOHM, and he was at an in-home DCP 'til he went to kindergarten. He was getting social interaction with the children there, so preschool was more for the classroom experience and dealing with a group of kids all about the same age as he was.

For DD, I think we will also wait 'til she's 4.

Our preschools begin registering for next fall in January/February.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Ds1 didn't start till he was 3yo. I liked that just fine. That's when most of his other friends started too. before that we had lots of playdates and did outings and classes.

Ds2 did 2 mornings/ week a bit before he turned 2. This year he is doing 4 mornings/ week and he is almost 3. The program is 3yo, 4yo, pre-k. He could have just done 4 and pre-k by starting next year but I love the 3s program.

eta- only certain schools have potty training requirements where I live. I look for programs with no date for personal preference.

Beth

JBaxter
09-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Logan and Connor went to preschool 2 yrs before they went to Kindergarten. Mornings 2 days at 3yrs old and 3 days at 4 yrs old

Nathan stared at preprimary montessori program at 2 yrs 10 months. 2 mornings a week ( suggested by his speech therapist) then did 3 mornings a week the next year but asked to go 5 mornings a week half way through.. 5 mornings a week when he was 4.

Jack is signed up to go when he his 3. Here children MUST be out of diapers /no pull ups before they can attend preschool. My boys have always enjoyed it.

KrisM
09-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Age 3 for all of them. They start in the fall after turning 3 and go 2.5 hours twice a week, so 5 hours total.

As for doing other classes, instead of preschool, that is a great option, but I don't have a lot available here and would have to get a babysitter for the other non-correct age kids. I'd rather not have a babysitter for DS2 just so DD can go to a specialty class with me. I don't really have a babysitter that I can use during the day, either. There are a few things that are non parent participation. DD is in gymnastics and I just watch. But, even bringing toys and books, it's really difficult to keep DS2 entertained while we're there because he wants to join in, but can't.

I also like preschool over a bunch of independent classes because I can research the teacher, the school, etc before hand. I am happy with my pick and all the kids will attend the same school. DD likes having her friends there as well. The consistency is a big thing for her. DS1 was more flexible about meeting new friends in a new group, but DD takes a while to find her someone to consider a friend.

I'm not saying you must do preschool. Of course not. It can be a good thing though and not just a waste of money.

daisymommy
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Around here, preschool starts at age 3. Age 2 is all day day care for working parents.

DS and DD started at age 4, because they weren't potty trained until a bit after they turned 3, they wanted to be with me and didn't want to go to school, so I just didn't push it.

They have always been involved in other group situations where they can take turns, play, learn social interaction, following the group rules, etc. So it wasn't a big deal to me. It's not until they turn 4 that developmentally children start in the "cooperative play" phase. Before that it is solitary and parallel play. I'm always a bit amazed when parents of 2 year olds say they want they child to learn to play with other kids and to interact. It's just not developmentally appropriate at that age for them to understand that kind of interaction. Not that they won't enjoy being around other kids, but they really don't "play together" like a 4 year old will.

http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/development/devsequence.shtml

hillview
09-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Both boys started 5x a week when they were 3. DS1 went 8-3 and DS2 is going 8-12 until he adjusts. I WOTH but we have a sitter and my parents so it was not about child care coverage it was about the social etc parts. The school we loved doesn't do less than 5 days / week.
HTH
/hillary

smilequeen
09-17-2010, 08:17 AM
With Simon, I was working part time and his daycare transitioned to preschool with a transitional class at 2.5 and preschool at 3.

With Oliver, I was a SAHM and he started in toddler Montessori at 2 when Simon transitioned to Montessori preschool at 4.5.

I loved the Montessori toddler program and so did he, so #3 will probably start at 18 months. Oliver transitioned to the regular preschool perfectly a few weeks ago, at 3.
That said, if the tuition money were an issue, I probably wouldn't do it that early since what I did in those short times was work out and the gym daycare was free :)

scrooks
09-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Age 3 for all of them. They start in the fall after turning 3 and go 2.5 hours twice a week, so 5 hours total.

Same here...DD just started 2 weeks ago and her 3rd b-day was in July. Our school offered the choice of 2, 3 or 5 mornings a week for a 3 year old. Since she is on the young side of 3, combined with me only being home 3 mornings a week (I didn't want to give up all or most of my mornings with her) we opted for 2 days.

pinkmomagain
09-17-2010, 08:21 AM
At about 2.5 she started a "playgroup" at the nursery school she would be going to at 3 and 4yo. It was once a week for a couple of hours.

Gena
09-17-2010, 08:35 AM
DS started at age 2.5 in the Early Intervention toddler class. He transferred to the school district's special needs preschool at age 3. He went 2.5 hours a day Mon-Thurs.

Jo..
09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
I started Adam at age 3, three mornings weekly (2.5 hours).

Leah has been asking and asking and ASKING to go to school, so she started at age 2. She goes three mornings per week as well (2.5 hours). Anything big brother does, she wants to do.

I think they do benefit from being in a group situation away from Mommy.

As a pp said, co-op preschools and also church run ones tend to be cheaper. You usually don't have to be a member of a church to send your child to school there.

Ds was in church preschool for one year @$105 for 9 months. So less than $1000 for the year. He is now 4 and in pre-k, which is public and free in our state regardless of income.

DD Leah will be in preschool for 2 years at $2k total before starting pre-k. It amounts to about $3.50 per hour, so way cheaper than a babysitter, and hopefully more enriching. I get a small break a few times weekly.

When Adam starts public K next year (full day), I may put Leah in full day preschool as well (still only about 5 hours daily, 3 days per week). That would increase the cost to $180 per month. (1600 per year; $2.25 per hour) Otherwise I would have to live in my car. Drop off, drop off, pick up...go home for an hour or so, pick up again. No thank you. It's already diffficult running from a to b. The reason I don't do that now is that afternoons are largely for lunch and naps: things that I can do at home for free.

egoldber
09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
My older DD started at preschool at age 2. It was 2 days a week for 4 hours. She loved, it was a nurturing play based environment, and I needed the break those 2 days (DH travels extensively). At 3 she did 3 days a week for 4 hours and then at 4 she did 5 days a week for 4 hours.

Younger DD started at age 2 in the same 2 day a week for 4 hours program. But then DH was laid off and I started looking for work. This same preschool is also a full day child care (about half the kids are there just for preschool and about half are also there for some combination of before and after care). So we switched her to 5 days a week for 4 hours as prep for going all day every day. Honestly, she did better with the 5 day schedule, but she really really thrives on consistent routine. Transition to all day 5 days a week was really easy for her.

I don't think kids that young need preschool. But in our situation (with DH traveling a lot) and me being an introvert, I needed the quiet down time a couple days a week. And for me, it was cheaper to do a "2 day 2s" type program than to pay a sitter.

lowrioh
09-17-2010, 09:15 AM
We just started DD in a one day a week Mother's Day Out program. It is 4.5 hour and it is run out of a church in our little suburb. She has been going to a organized community playgroup ever since she was able to sit up and she really enjoys being around the other kids. For one day it is under $100 a month and we will probably transition her to 2 days a week in the new year. There were several Co-op options in our area which we were interested in until we found out we were expecting again and then decided that it would be too much for DH to deal with.
I like the Nursery School because it is local, laid back and has a small town feel to it.

nfowife
09-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Dd started at 18 months, 2 days a week 9-2,right before ds arrived. DS started 1 day/ week at 1. We live far from family and dh was gone for work a ton and some time to myself was a sanity saver. They did/do 3 days at 3 and dd went 5 days 9-2 for pre-k last year (full day k this year). Ds goes 3 days right now and I'm leaning towards the public pre-k for him next year which would be 2.5 hours 5 days. The mdo preschool is $70 per weekday per month (1 day a week is $70/month, etc).

HIU8
09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
DS started at age 21 months. DD started at age 2. I work pt from home so they both went into 5 day a week programs (half day with extended care options).

MommyofAmaya
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Amaya just started this year at 4. I think she is the only one (out of the three 4yo classes) that is brand new to school. Sebastian will start earlier (probably 3) b/c I need to start putting inching my way back into the work force by either volunteering or going back to school.

jess_g
09-17-2010, 09:57 AM
My youngest son started at age 3. He was just realy ready to play and hang out with other kids by then. He only went 2 mornings a week, but he loved it.

My middle son went through the public schools, 5 days per week 5 hours per day. It was alot but he realy needed it. They provided a lot of extra therapies for him there too. He started at age 3.

My youngest went starting at age 3 as well, but she went 5 days per week because I was working then.

J.

MamaMolly
09-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Lula just started last Thursday! It is a 5 day a week program, and the past week has been building up to her staying all day. She loves it!

(:) and I love the mornings with Dolly)

Corie
09-17-2010, 10:14 AM
In Texas, it seemed the kids started preschool earlier. My daughter
started when she was 2 turning 3. (She turned 3 just a couple months
after she started.) She did not have to be potty-trained this first year.
Since she is a late birthday, she had 3 years of preschool.

In Rhode Island, they did not start preschool this early. My son
started preschool when he was 3 turning 4. (He turned 4 just a couple
months after he started.) He had to be potty-trained. Since he is
a late birthday, he had 2 years of preschool.

Twoboos
09-17-2010, 10:17 AM
DD1 started at 2.9 years. She had 3 years of preschool b/c of her bday.

DD2 started at 3.1 years. She only had 2 years b/c of her bday.

groundhog74
09-17-2010, 10:24 AM
DS was 3 and DD was 2.5. They both were in a young 3s class at our preschool for kids who weren't 3 by the deadline.

cmo
09-17-2010, 10:24 AM
My DCs started at ages 23 mo., 15 mo., and 18 mo., each going 2 days per week for 4 hours each day. That left PLENTY of time for us to still go to parks, music class, library, etc., and gave them a fun environment to play in with other kids. No matter how much education, interaction, enrichment, etc. I could come up with, I knew I could never 'speak Toddler', and they learned so much from being around their peers.

MelissaTC
09-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I started M around 18 months. He went to a toddler program at a church preschool and was there 2 days a week, 9-1pm. He ate lunch there. We have no family in the area and at the time, I didn't have anyone that I could leave him with, etc.. I used those two days a week to do things like shop for groceries, go to the doctor, etc... At 2, he also went 2 days a week and we then went to 3 days a week at 3. At 4 for pre-K, I switched programs and sent him to a YMCA preschool 5 minutes from my home. It was cheaper than the church program for 5 days and offered more in terms of activities (swimming once a month, short field trips, usage of YMCA facility gym, etc..). It was a good intro to what elementary school was going to be like. As an extrovert and an only, he loved preschool.

LarsMal
09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
L turned 3 a week or two before he started preschool. He will have 3 years of preschool before he starts K next year.

M just started this year, at 3.5. She will have 2 years before K.

Not sure when C will start. I'd like to put her in the 2's class next year, just to give her something to do other than being dragged around running errands and taking L&M to their various activities.

ETA: L went three mornings his first year. He and M both go 4 afternoons now.

arivecchi
09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
DS1 just started preschool at 3 years and 9 months (3 hours/3 times a week). The transition has been really easy so he was definitely ready at this point. He was not ready a year ago.

AnnieW625
09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
DD1 started at 3 yrs., 5 mos., but she had been in daycare since she was 4 mos. old. She had to be out of diapers. Last year she went two mornings a week from 9 am to 12pm. This year she is going three mornings a week from 9 am to 12 pm.

mommylamb
09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
DS is 3 and he's in full day daycare right now at an in-home daycare provider. We will probably move him to more typical pre-school when he turns 4. But, his daycare provider has a very structured day, and while it's not in a classroom setting, per se, he is getting all of the academics and social involvement that he would get at pre-school now. We're on the waiting list for a pre-school that's very convenient for us, hoping to start him next September, but if he doesn't get in, then I may just keep him in daycare until he turns 5 and goes to K, and I'm ok with that.

JMS
09-17-2010, 02:43 PM
3 years before K.
The first year is Tu & Th 9-12. The second years is M, W, & F, again 9-12. The final year (year before K) is M-F, again 9-12. This is the common scenario in my area.

belovedgandp
09-17-2010, 04:18 PM
DC1 did a one day a week program when he was 2 1/2 which was truly just for me and my sanity since he was already not napping and I was pregnant with DC2. DC2 and DC3 have/will not do that since it doesn't fit in our schedule as well.

All three have/will do two years of pre-school before K - a 3YO and 4YO year old program.

Now I love the pre-school option I have. It was fabulous for DC1 and DC2 is doing great. If for some reason DC3 would not go. I would be hard pressed to find an alternative to the one and only we go to.

hellokitty
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
My kids start when they are 4. DS1 only had one yr before going to K, DS2 and DS3 will both get two yrs before K, b/c they have late summer bdays and just barely missed the cut off.

elektra
09-17-2010, 05:59 PM
DD just started at 3. 2x a week T/Th
For her, I think it's really going to be great.

kristenk
09-17-2010, 06:21 PM
DD started T/Th, 9-11:45 preschool at 2.5yo, mainly for my sanity. ;) We didn't have any family in the area at that time and I was just worn out, honestly. I do think it was a good experience for her, but definitely not necessary. It was a very good experience for me. :)

hobie
09-17-2010, 06:31 PM
My DS's did/do just one year of preschool - the year before entering kindergarten, and just do 2 days/week.

edurnemk
09-17-2010, 11:38 PM
DS started a 2's program just this month, so 2 years 8 months. We were planning on waiting a year or at least 6 months, but DS started saying everyday he wanted to go to school (like the neighbors with whom he plays with and are older than him). There are NO programs for toddlers older than 18-24 months here, we used to do Gymboree, music class, baby and me yoga, park, library, etc before we moved, but there's none of that here and he was getting BORED. So I gave in and enrolled him. He's one of the oldest in his class. I was heart-broken and second guessed myself a lot, but it's working out for us. I get time to do a lot of stuff in the mornings, I'm freelancing, and I dedicate the afternoon 100% to him without being interrupted by chores errands and work. And he's happy. We did have to make some adjustments to afford it, but me being able to work more hours while he's in school has made up for it.

I still don't think it's necessary for him to go to school so young, though.

MissyAg94
09-18-2010, 12:06 AM
We enrolled DD in preschool this year when we decided not to send her to Kindergarten (late Aug 05 b-day.) She had none before this year.

ett
09-18-2010, 01:45 AM
DS1 has an August birthday and started preschool when he was 3. DS2 did a parent's day out program starting at 2.9 and just started preschool at 3.5.

DietCokeLover
09-18-2010, 08:05 AM
DD started last month for the first time. She will be 4 in Dec and she goes 3 mornings a week for 3 hrs each day.