PDA

View Full Version : weight gain (or lack of) during the 3rd trimester?

brgnmom
09-17-2010, 01:08 AM
I just had my OB appt this morning and found out that I haven't gained any weight since my prior appt two or three weeks ago. My OB says things look fine, baby is head-down, and I'll need to return in two weeks and then every week afterwards. I'm just a little worried though b/c I haven't gained any weight in a couple of weeks, and when I was pregnant with my DS, I was gaining consistently. Overall, I've gained about 27 pounds so far, but my weight gain has reached a plateau and the other day, another mom at my DS's preschool commented how I look small for being as far along as I am. I gained over 40 pounds with my DS, and he was still just shy of seven pounds at birth (40.5 wks).

Hopefully, I'm just worrying about nothing... thanks for reading and being there.

citymama
09-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Hugs to you and congrats on the baby being head first. I know how stressful things are at this stage. If your OB isn't worried, I wouldn't worry unless you feel something is amiss. Have they been doing fundal measurements, and is that growth on track? If you are concerned, you can request an u/s and they can do measurements to check how the baby is progressing. How many weeks are you? I gained about 20 lbs with the first pregnancy and DD1 was under 6 lbs but strong and healthy. I gained 15 lbs with the second pregnancy and DD2 was bigger than DD1 at birth, also strong and healthy. I recall being pretty much the same weight during all the appointments in my 8th month, and although I wasn't worried in the least bit, my OB felt that my fundal measurements were on the small side, so she had me do an u/s. Everything looked great, and it was reassuring to know that.

All the best, and keep eating well and staying hydrated!

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Same thing happened to me then at the end I gained several extra pounds. It was like I just hit a lull but then caught right back up!

Beth

marymoo86
09-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I actually lost a pound from week 30 to week 32 but I am positive it was b/c at week 30 the lab person weighed me before I could provide the urine sample. I really had to go so I am not surprised I weighed less ;).

In total as of last week I had gained 14lbs and was normal weight. The OB should no signs of concern. Seems like I eat all the time but I am still exercising lightly so that could be helping in the weight gain area. If you are eating well and drinking lots of water, you are fine. Your body will tell you if you need to eat more!

Speaking of fetal position. I was told the baby is also head down but was on my right side. This week, I felt a huge shift in my stomach - not just the normal kicks and squirms. She feels like she has moved more to the center or left side as I am now feeling kicks on the right and never have before. I have been actively trying to sit correctly and do the pelvic tilt excerises to encourage optimal positioning as I planning on a natural birth. Hope this means its working!

BabyBearsMom
09-17-2010, 09:15 AM
I didn't gain an ounce between week 36 and 40. I think my body had just maxed out. If your doctor isn't concerned, and you are eating a balanced diet, I wouldn't worry about it.

asha07
09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
34 weeks here and I lost 2 pounds since my appointment 2 weeks ago - total gain so far is just 12 pounds. My OB said not to worry...

My son was 9 pounds and I had only gained 18 - it was nice to leave the hospital in my old size 4 jeans ;)

bostonsmama
09-18-2010, 03:57 PM
I was going to post something, too, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. I keep a pg weight gain (and symptom) log/chart, and while my weight gain to date (30wks) is a healthy 14.5 lbs, I'm actually the same weight I was 4 weeks ago. I think I'm starting to realize I can't eat the same as I used to during those high-gain wks of 20-26. I'm doing smaller portions and making calories count. I eat a lot of full-fat dairy, 1/4 avocado, an egg, & almond butter on whole wheat toast every single day, and take my omega 3s. Surprisingly, my tummy area has trimmed out since adding in the more nourishing (good fat) foods. I'm also exercising regularly (walking daily, prenatal yoga 2x/wk), so that helps. Complete strangers stop me & tell me I look tiny, but I have a tall torso and baby is measuring perfect on fundal heigh (usually at or 1/2cm below my exact weeks/date--which is great). I have no idea if I'll put on another 10lbs before she's born, but I'm trying not to sweat it. If your doctor isn't concerned, that's great. DH told me he could "fix" my weight gain problem "real quick with an extra cheese pizza." LOL

Firsttime
09-20-2010, 11:09 AM
I am on the same page & glad to hear there are so many others on the same state.

I was gaining weight on track and then things just stopped in 8th mo & now for 4-5 wks its stalled or I gain abt a lb only to lose it when I am walking/shopping in the malls:p
I am convincing myself that as long as I am eating nutritious, not going hungry, have the energy to do my day to day tasks/exercise and baby is fine, its all good. Gaining too much will probably only cause more issues when trying natural birth. I have gained only a total of 18lbs but have been told not to sweat it by my MW because the fundal height meas is fine. I asked her to estimate the size of the baby & she thinks he's >6lbs. Being petite myself, I am fine with that baby weight esp for natural birth.

Hoping for the best!

luckytwenty
09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
All I can say is I am insanely jealous of all of you! I started out this pregnancy thinner than I'd been in most of my adult life and have just gained tons and tons even while exercising (well, stopped that at about 25 weeks, but still gained while I was doing it), eating moderately with lots of fruits and veggies, etc. It's absolute insanity. Enjoy your lack of hugeness, that's all I can say.

brgnmom
09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
hi all,
thank you for your feedback and sharing your personal experiences. I do feel better knowing that many of you can relate. luckytwenty, I'm actually envious that you're showing more b/c I had a series of incidents today at my son's preschool that made me wish my pregnant tummy were bigger/more noticeable. I posted about it in the b!tching section. I've received a number of questionable responses whenever I respond that my baby will be full-term in 4-5 weeks, and it's kind of frustrating and hurtful. I know that I do try to eat healthy (today was an exception though b/c the director at my son's preschool told me last-minute that I'd need to stay until 1 pm for parent helping & I didn't pack any food for myself, aside for some Annie crackers & water... just my son had his sandwich, fruits and crackers).

I think I'm also more active during this pregnancy than I was with my first pregnancy with my DS. My baby's measuring fine and actually measuring ahead by a week or two according to my earlier second trimester ultrasound. I'm just petite, so I'm showing less. my lower back is sore though b/c most of my weight gain is all in the front.

Thank you again! :)

luckytwenty
09-21-2010, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=brgnmom;2859840]hi all,
thank you for your feedback and sharing your personal experiences. I do feel better knowing that many of you can relate. luckytwenty, I'm actually envious that you're showing more b/c I had a series of incidents today at my son's preschool that made me wish my pregnant tummy were bigger/more noticeable. I posted about it in the b!tching section. I've received a number of questionable responses whenever I respond that my baby will be full-term in 4-5 weeks, and it's kind of frustrating and hurtful. QUOTE]

I'm sorry. People just suck. I don't know why people can't just stick to "You must be so excited, congratulations!" or "How are you feeling?" The commentary on size makes me wonder who this mysterious perfectly sized pregnant woman is that everyone is implicitly referring to. Grrr.