PDA

View Full Version : Specified Pre K vs. mixed age preschool class?

AnnieW625
09-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Would you feel left out if your 4 yr. old (born mid year) was not placed in that class? DD1 whose birthday is April 4th was placed in the specified Pre K class, which honestly suprised me a bit. I thought because of the April birthday for sure she'd be in the mixed 3 yo/4yo class again. I wouldn't have had a problem with that at all, but I know there are some parents who seem a little miffed that their 4 yr. old who will go to kindergarten next year is not in the specified Pre K class. The admins at the school (both former teachers at the school) said at the school meeting the other day that there is really no difference in what the 4 yos in the mixed class and what the 4 yos in the Pre K class do, but again I think some people feel better when their kid is classified as Pre K. How do you feel about that, and does that determine where you will send your child for pre school?

FWIW, our school is private non sectarian, and the school rents space from a local church. Tuition is $225 per month for MWF.

Should add that the class makeup are as follows:
Room 1: 2/1/2 yo to just 3, but mostly kids between 2/1/2 and 3
Room 2: 3 to 3/1/2, mainly 3s, maybe one or two kids who will turn 4 before the end of 2010.
Room 3: 3/1/2 to 4 yo., maybe a few kids who will be 4 by end of 2010.
Room 4: mainly 4/1/2 yr. olds., and a few kids who will turn 5 by the end of 2010. All kids will be 5 by the end of the 10-11 school yr.

infocrazy
09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't care about the title of the class, but I wouldn't be thrilled about a 4+ DC being in a class mixed with 3 or slightly < 3 yo. I want his social skills to develop modeling same age kids or older, not younger. I think it would be difficult for him to be in a class with a 3 yo one year, then potentially a red-shirted 6 yo the next. The difference in acceptable behavior should be pretty different...

codex57
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't care about the title of the class, but I wouldn't be thrilled about a 4+ DC being in a class mixed with 3 or slightly < 3 yo. I want his social skills to develop modeling same age kids or older, not younger. I think it would be difficult for him to be in a class with a 3 yo one year, then potentially a red-shirted 6 yo the next. The difference in acceptable behavior should be pretty different...

:yeahthat:

Course, the flip side of that is the parents of the older kids who you want your kid to model behavior after prolly aren't too thrilled to have a young kid in their kid's class either. Depends on which shoe you've got on. ;)

Man, everyone's got some really cheap preschool. Is this stuff all day? Our current one is 4 days a week for over $700/mo. And it's cheaper cuz they don't provide lunch (just a couple of snacks) then the previous one at over $800/mo.

hillview
09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
My boys are in a 3,4,5 year old class @ Montessori. We kept DS1 in Montessori (vs going to K) this year b/c we prefer it.
/hillary

AnnieW625
09-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Man, everyone's got some really cheap preschool. Is this stuff all day? Our current one is 4 days a week for over $700/mo. And it's cheaper cuz they don't provide lunch (just a couple of snacks) then the previous one at over $800/mo.

That's half day three days a week. I still pay $459 per month for DD1 to go to daycare (she is getting the sibling discount at day care), and $900 a month for DD2 to go to daycare. $700 to $800 a month for four of five day 8 to 3 or 5 care is pretty standard here too.

My boys are in a 3,4,5 year old class @ Montessori. We kept DS1 in Montessori (vs going to K) this year b/c we prefer it.
/hillary

I am familair with the Montessori method and class structure so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me much at all.