PDA

View Full Version : s/o-parents of children with anxiety-I have a question

JustMe
09-17-2010, 12:01 PM
What do you look for in a therapist for your child? Also, what have you learned that is the most helpful to your child in terms of managing anxiety? I ask because I am a therapist myself, but am having a hard time finding someone who is a good match for dd and dont have that much professional experience in helping school aged children with general anxiety. Dd does have a mix of adoption related issues and anxiety, and unfortunately the one and only therapist where we live who really truly seems to get the adoption-related issues (others say they do and may have training, experience, but really dont get it), is just not a good match for dd's temperament. So, I have come to the conclusion that dd and I just need to work on the adoption related issues ourselves (which I am trained and qualified to do, just was hoping for support and to have an objective person/therapist be involved), but will get help from a therapist for the anxiety related issues...I do not want someone who puts dd on a behavior plan, those are useless to us.

StantonHyde
09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Rats--I was going to say having a good therapist who works a lot with kids and is kind and supportive. But I don't have the adoption angle going on and I know from friends how key that can be.

As for what helps at home--the Freeing YOur Child from Anxiety book was great for me but you already know all that from being a therapist yourself!

I think you are right that you are going to have to find a therapist who can help in one area and then maybe you supplement in the others. You may have to cast a wider net as well--e.g. travel further to see someone.

Have you hashed this out with your colleagues?

egoldber
09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Wow that's tough. :( FWIW, there is a girl in my DD's social skills group who is an international adoptee and they are having many issues and her parents were complaining about how hard it it to find a therapist who is good with adoption issues. And we live in a large metro area with many internationally adopted children.

I think the biggest thing is the personality fit AND someone who just really gets your kid. Some people just do not get my kid. When they do, it's beautiful. When they don't, it's rough.

And I soooo hear you on the behavior plans. Ugh.

JustMe
09-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, at least you guys understand. Yeah, the international adoption part is really something in itself, and I am unfortuntately now convinced I am the only therapist within a reasonable radius who has any idea about that...I have talked to my colleagues, and interestingly enough no one knows anyone who does what we need/are looking for.

DrSally
09-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Pm'd you........