PDA

View Full Version : Scholastic book sale

jgenie
09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
We went to meet DS1's teachers today and came home with a flyer. How much money does a school make from these? TIA

GonnaBeNana
09-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Generally, none at all. If the classroom orders so many books, then the teacher gets books for their classroom. Teachers also earn points which they can use to get things (rewards, manipulatives, etc.) for the class as well.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2010, 04:46 PM
I only know how the book fairs work. For those you can choose cash (about 30%), credit to use on Scholastic merchandise (you get like 40%, more than if you do just cash) or a combination. The monthly fliyer thing is probably different though.

Beth

bubbaray
09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
AFAIK, they only earn books for the classroom, that is how it works here. However, they can get a LOT of books.

hellokitty
09-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Stupid question, but how did you guys enter your classroom code when you tried to order online? Last yr I ordered online for DS1 w/o any problem with credits going to his K teacher, but now I am trying to enter his new teacher's code this yr and am having so much trouble trying to figure out how to do it. It keeps asking me to register, and then when I try to register, each username is said to be taken, but when I check my email, it looks like I tried to open 4 different accts, b/c I kept trying new usernames! Orders are due by tonight and at this point, I just don't think I'll be ordering, however if anyone has any tips, I love to hear them. I don't know if it's my computer that is giving me a hard time or scholastic's, b/c I've had previous issues with their website.

lmwbasye
09-17-2010, 05:27 PM
I used these in my classroom. The school gets nothing from this. If the teacher chooses to keep track of and use points that the class earns from the students that order they can be used to buy additional books for the classroom. This was always a huge help in building my classroom library. But there is not monetary profit for the school or classroom in any other way. And some teachers don't even pay attention to the fact that points are earned for their classroom...how sad is that?!

Roni
09-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Stupid question, but how did you guys enter your classroom code when you tried to order online? Last yr I ordered online for DS1 w/o any problem with credits going to his K teacher, but now I am trying to enter his new teacher's code this yr and am having so much trouble trying to figure out how to do it. It keeps asking me to register, and then when I try to register, each username is said to be taken, but when I check my email, it looks like I tried to open 4 different accts, b/c I kept trying new usernames! Orders are due by tonight and at this point, I just don't think I'll be ordering, however if anyone has any tips, I love to hear them. I don't know if it's my computer that is giving me a hard time or scholastic's, b/c I've had previous issues with their website.

I had the same problem! I ended up having my father order from his computer with one of the usernames that I tried, & he was successful. I'm wondering if the security setttings on my computer might be set too high.

egoldber
09-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I am the Scholastic mom this year. I love volunteering for this job because it's easy and I can do it from home. :) I love the flyers. They generally have very high quality books for $1-$3 and all the books are a good price.

The teachers earn $3 with every on-line order. They also earn points with each order. They can use those points for many things from more books to white boards.

I think the teachers benefit more from this than they typically do from the fairs IMO.

KpbS
09-17-2010, 07:16 PM
This year our teacher earns a book per order (via form or online). I imagine she is also getting points. Our school doesn't have a scholastic mom, but I'd take the job :)

jgenie
09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies - we'll take a look at the flyer and pick up a couple.

WatchingThemGrow
09-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Teachers can earn free books and points to select books. We had one this week and DH was seriously worried about my addiction to the little flyers. He kept mentioning the SIX huge tubs of scholastic paperbacks in our attic. I went back/forth about 5-6 different must-haves, but then settled on an Usborne science book.

Corie
09-17-2010, 09:00 PM
I am the Scholastic mom this year. I love volunteering for this job because it's easy and I can do it from home. :) I love the flyers. They generally have very high quality books for $1-$3 and all the books are a good price.

Getting a book flyer was always my favorite day of the month at school!
That and the actual day the books came in!

My daughter is the same way! I love it! We sit and look through the flyer
together and she circles the books that she likes.

I always order after she has gone to bed so it's a surprise. I usually pick
some extra books that she may not have chosen.

I ordered $60 worth of books on our first book order. I just can't say "no"
to books!

MissyAg94
09-17-2010, 11:11 PM

Same here! I loved book orders when I was a kid. So when I saw the Scholastic flyer in my DD's school bag last week, I was so excited! I only ordered $30 (ordered some of the certificates) but the books came today and my DD was thrilled. We definitely don't need more books but I can see myself ordering from every flyer.

09-18-2010, 03:14 PM
I ordered $60 worth of books on our first book order. I just can't say "no"
to books!

You are making me feel much less guilty about our $36 order. I was ruthless but I just couldn't say no to the Splat Halloween book or dinosaur counters.

Christine W

hellokitty
09-18-2010, 03:16 PM
I had the same problem! I ended up having my father order from his computer with one of the usernames that I tried, & he was successful. I'm wondering if the security setttings on my computer might be set too high.

Well, I finally got it to work, but of course when I submitted the order their system totally errored out. So, who knows. I did not get an email about my order, so I don't think it went through.

Corie
09-18-2010, 03:51 PM
You are making me feel much less guilty about our $36 order. I was ruthless but I just couldn't say no to the Splat Halloween book or dinosaur counters.

Christine W

If you want to know a little secret, I ordered $60 for my daughter's Scholastic
flyer and then I ordered more books from my son's kindergarten Scholastic
flyer! So, I'll be getting TWO sets of flyers each month!!!

scrooks
09-18-2010, 06:02 PM

:yeahthat: LOVED them when I was a kid! I had forgotten about them until DD came home Monday from preschool with her very first order form. It made me :)! I ordered a bunch....

Cam&Clay
09-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Buying from the Scholastic flyers really does help the teacher, especially newer ones. I built my entire classroom library from benefits received from student orders. Later in my career, I found I used the points for other things since my classroom library was in good shape.

The Scholastic Book Fairs are completely different. They benefit the school, or more commonly, the school library. I earn thousands for my library having 2 fairs a year. In these hard budget times, the extra money added to my funds is very helpful.