PDA

View Full Version : pumpkin bread?

AbbysMom
09-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Anyone have a great recipe using canned pumpkin? I've had a can forever and I would love to make some bread this weekend!

infomama
09-17-2010, 05:53 PM
This isn't bread but cake and it's simply deee-licious. I make it every fall over and over and over...... (see my note in post #11)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=335634&highlight=butterscotch+pumpkin

snowbunnies300
09-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Pumpkin Bread
2 eggs
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. oil (veggie or canola)
1 2/3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Beat eggs; add pumpkin, water and oil. Mix well to combine. Sift remaining ingredients and add to pumpkin mixture. Mix thoroughly to combine. Pour into greased laof pans. Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. Yield 1 large or 2 small loaves.
Note: I normally double this recipe and use one regular sized can of pumpkin. I also no longer sift the dry ingredients as it is messy and adds another step. No one could tell the difference.

jerigirl
09-17-2010, 11:36 PM
This makes 2 loaves. It is from the Dec 2004 Cooking Light magazine.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=833355

okinawama
09-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Hold onto it, from what I've heard there will be a shortage and it will be hard to find this holiday season.

fivi2
09-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Hold onto it, from what I've heard there will be a shortage and it will be hard to find this holiday season.

I am already having a hard time finding it! I didn't know there was an actual shortage. grumble grumble. My girls love pumpkin bread. We use the ATK recipe. No time now, but I will try to remember to post it later.

Pepper
09-18-2010, 08:28 PM

Really? Well, you can use butternut squash puree as a substitute - either the canned stuff or make it yourself. Get a whole squash, split it lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and roast it cut-side-down on a foil-lined pan (325-350 for about an hour, or until you can sink a fork into it easily). Let it cool a bit, scoop out the flesh and puree in a blender or food processor. Keep in the fridge for a few days, or freeze it for several months.

okinawama
09-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Apparently too much rain, not enough sun has really taken a tole on the pumpkin crop. It says in the article that some 29oz cans are going for $30 on e-bay. Yikes!!!

I have actually been using yams as a substitute and they're working great, thanks for the butternut squash idea as well, I see those all the time at the grocery store!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/01/AR2010060100801.html

boolady
09-19-2010, 08:20 PM
This makes 2 loaves. It is from the Dec 2004 Cooking Light magazine.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=833355

I was going to post this one. We love it, and it freezes well.

Twoboos
09-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Not bread but... pumpkin muffins.

Pumpkin Muffins
1 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. brown sugar--packed
1/4 c. honey
1 c. pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with paper liners. Mix flour through allspice in med. bowl. Mix egg through honey in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and mix until blended (but don't overbeat). Fill tins 3/4 full. Bake mini muffins 17 minutes, regular muffins 22 minutes (but times may vary depending on your oven).

NOTE: Substitutes for buttermilk/sour milk:
1 cup milk w/1 tbls lemon juice or white vinegar
Equal amount sour cream
Equal amounts yogurt/milk

infomama
09-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Was shopping today and bought nine large cans. I need my pumpkin!!

AbbysMom
09-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I have snowbunnies recipe in now and it smells so good!!!!!!!! Infomama - yours is next been I need a bundt pan!

sophiesmom03
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Pumpkin Bread
2 eggs
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. oil (veggie or canola)
1 2/3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Beat eggs; add pumpkin, water and oil. Mix well to combine. Sift remaining ingredients and add to pumpkin mixture. Mix thoroughly to combine. Pour into greased laof pans. Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. Yield 1 large or 2 small loaves.
Note: I normally double this recipe and use one regular sized can of pumpkin. I also no longer sift the dry ingredients as it is messy and adds another step. No one could tell the difference.

Made this last night, double batch, and it was sooo easy and yummy. Now we have breakfast all week and another loaf in the freezer.

Served for breakfast warmed slices with cream cheese. Yum.

Thank you!!!!

alien_host
11-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Not bread but... pumpkin muffins.

Pumpkin Muffins
1 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. brown sugar--packed
1/4 c. honey
1 c. pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with paper liners. Mix flour through allspice in med. bowl. Mix egg through honey in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and mix until blended (but don't overbeat). Fill tins 3/4 full. Bake mini muffins 17 minutes, regular muffins 22 minutes (but times may vary depending on your oven).

NOTE: Substitutes for buttermilk/sour milk:
1 cup milk w/1 tbls lemon juice or white vinegar
Equal amount sour cream
Equal amounts yogurt/milk

quick question....is that right that I can use 1/2 cup sour cream IN PLACE of the buttermilk? I forgot to buy buttermilk. I need to make this for DD's school and I don't want to screw it up!

Also do you know how many mini muffins 1 batch makes? Thanks!

alien_host
11-24-2010, 03:44 PM
TwoBoos Thanks for the recipe! I made the mini-muffins for DD's school and they were a big hit.

I used sour cream and it came out really tasty. The batter was pretty thick. I ended up baking them for about 11 minutes and they were perfect. I think my mini muffin pans are really small!

I love how it used part whole wheat flour.