PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: More Bed Bug Phobia

Melbel
09-17-2010, 06:26 PM
With all of the reports of bed bugs, my skin is crawling at the thought of staying at a hotel. Just working out today, there were multiple stories profiled while walking on the treadmill. Perhaps not the most rationale fear, but I have become paranoid. My kids have allergy, asthma, and eczema plus past bad reactions to other types of bug bites (i.e. DD1 just had outpatient surgery on her leg this week due to an abscess and nasty infection following 2 yellow jacket stings; mosquito bites are very large and raised for DD1, etc.).

Using online searches, I discovered that two hotels that we stayed at in the past couple of years have confirmed reports (Embassy Suites in Boca Raton, FL and Doubletree Suites in Ft. Lauderdale).

I called the Doubletree hotel (good location and rate for us) because we are looking for a place to stay tomorrow night. The Housekeeping manager had the GM of the hotel call me directly. There was a confirmed case in July (only dead bugs found), but they take the room out of circulation for a month, apply chemicals, have inspections, etc. etc. The GM reassured me that if we decided to stay, he would have the pest control company and housekeeping inspect our room for us before checking in. Perhaps a hotel with a brush of trouble would be taking Herculean efforts to salvage their reputation.

Any hotel is at risk, so staying at a hotel with no prior reports is not very reassuring either. I have read the articles on ways to inspect/prevent, but it definitely does not put you in a relaxing mood.

This website was great for determining confirmed cases in FL hotels for anyone planning a trip to Disney or FL: http://databases.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/ftlaudbedbugs/ftlaudbedbugs_list.php?goto=1 (particularly troubling are all of the reports for confirmed "live vermin" :barf:).

WWYD? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Indianamom2
09-17-2010, 09:00 PM
I have absolutely no advice, but I just wanted to say that I am *right* there with you on being grossed out. I finally bit the bullet and lifted up our mattress and did an inspection (I've been extra paranoid lately because I recently flew through both Detroit and Cincinnati, two places with big problems). I was almost too scared to look because if I found any, sorry but I'm not sure I could ever sleep in that room again.:barf:

Bugs creep me out.:thumbsdown:

I sincerely hope you have a very good, totally bug-free stay.