PDA

View Full Version : How late is too late to hire a doula?

ourbabygirl
09-17-2010, 11:11 PM
O.k., so I'm 36 weeks along and finally decided to pull the trigger (and spend the money) on a doula. I have a little list of people to e-mail tomorrow, but I'm wondering how likely it is that I'll be able to find someone who'll work with me on such short notice. I'm fine with just meeting them once or twice and just having their help on the 'birth day' (at the hospital). This is my second child, so I pretty much know what I'm in for with the birthing experience, but I did have an epidural and a fast delivery the first time around (no c-section; hoping to avoid it again this time, and baby is still head down :)).
I read Ina May Gaskin's book a while back, and browsed through another (can't remember the name), and I've been doing a bit of Hypnobabies to prepare. Just hoping I go a bit past the due date (while keeping baby healthy, of course) so I have as much time to prepare as possible!

Any BTDT? I know I'm *really* late in the game, but I'm hoping I still have a shot at finding someone. I'm in a metro area, but not one as busy/ populated as Chicago, CA, NY, etc. There do seem to be a number of them that I can contact (at least 30 or so), so hopefully that means *someone* will be available to work with me. ;)

Thanks for your insights!

bostonsmama
09-18-2010, 03:45 PM
I've hired a doula and I don't think seeing her ahead of time would really help at all--and with most I don't think THAT is going to be your issue. It's just sheer availability that will get you. Our doula has attended over 1,000 births, and her back-up doula has close to 30 (and did her own homebirths/water births). Our doula's main concern in taking clients is that obviously she'd like to avoid having to be in two places at one time (or not even having her back-up doula available). Actually, our doula is a CNMW who teaches our natural childbirth classes as well, and it seems like every Wed night she's telling us a story about how they both did back-to-back deliveries (staying up for 30+hrs...and most doulas won't even come to you until you're in active labor, although you can call & get telephone support while in prodromal or early labor). So, you may find luck with getting a doula who will either sign a provisional contract with you...or you just may have to pay more b/c the cheaper ones will have filled up.

Good luck. I'm so glad we've hired one. I love her.

citymama
09-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I think I hired ours at 36 weeks exactly! I was lucky and the person we hired (who rocked!) was available during that window. I got recommendations for about a dozen people, called/emailed 4 or 5 people, we interviewed 2 in person and DH and I unanimously agreed on the person who was our doula. She worked quickly to set up our two pre-natal visits in week 37 and 38. DD was born right on time. We were so so happy to have had not just a doula but this particular doula. Don't feel like you have to settle for anybody who can be there because I think it's worth the extra effort to find the right person - chemistry with you both, experience, shared philosophy, willingness to be available at all hours, relationships at the hospital where youre delivering. Do a search and you'll find my old threads asking for questions to ask doula candidates and other related angst. Good luck!

Eta: one of the people who referred me to my doula was a woman who hired her *the day before* she gave birth! I think she was at 38 weeks, so it was sooner than expected, but the doula was able to jump in at short notice and was really helpful. So don't be shy to call, thinking you're the only one who does this at the last-minute - you're not. Many of us have this brilliant insight shortly before our d-day!

lovebebes
09-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Im wondering-are you planning to try to go epi free this time?

ourbabygirl
09-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I'd like to try, but I am willing to use one if absolutely needed. (I had one with DD; I was dilated to a 4 but in a ton of pain.) I figure a doula will help me lower my chances of asking for one. :)

citymama
09-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I'd like to try, but I am willing to use one if absolutely needed. (I had one with DD; I was dilated to a 4 but in a ton of pain.) I figure a doula will help me lower my chances of asking for one. :)

It was amazing to me that I didn't even think about an epidural this time. Not for one instant. The first time, despite wanting to go epi-free and having a midwife (borderline "med-wife" as it turned out), the epi was pushed and pushed and I really felt like I finally agreed to have it despite my desire not to. But yes, I was in pain and I was tired. Totally different experience this time. Not sure if it was me, the doula, the labor, the hospital (different one this time) or some combination of all those, but it literally never crossed my mind. And I am a mega-wimp about mosquito bites when not in labor! You can absolutely do it if you want to - but the nice thing is, you have a choice!

lovebebes
09-18-2010, 06:18 PM

I figured this was your plan-but was just being curious. ...I don't think its too late to try and hire one, especially because it sounds like for you she could really make a difference in how your whole birthing experience goes!

essnce629
09-18-2010, 06:19 PM
It's never too late! I've been hired as late as a few days before someone's due date! As long as you're not in labor yet, it's not too late! Go for it!

ourbabygirl
09-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks, Everyone!
I've e-mailed about 10 people and heard back from a few that they're booked in October, but a few more have written back saying that we could talk, and that it's never too late to hire one. :) I'm hoping I can find someone I mesh well with, and get her scheduled up!